GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Squeaky sounds from steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 08:14 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Squeaky sounds from steering wheel?

Hello everyone, just picked up a 2013 GS 350 with the Luxury package not too long ago with 42k miles and I have just noticed some squeaky noise coming from the steering wheel when I turn it left or right while making my turns... does anyone know what this could be and whether or not it can be an easy fix?

Thanks everyone in advance!
Old 08-02-17, 09:52 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2013 Lux Pack. Take it to the dealer. They will be changing a steering cable and the steering rack of the. Able doesn't fix it. Try recording it on video for documenting proof.
Old 08-02-17, 12:33 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

If you bought Certified Used car, you're covered.

Otherwise, you may be out of warranty unless you purchased extended warranty.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-17, 08:25 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Yeah unfortunately mine was not CPO, and I did not buy any additional warranties. Does anyone know if this is anything serious and should be looked at immediately? or would it just be more of an annoyance with that squeak that it makes?
Old 08-03-17, 04:12 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Is your car pass 50k miles now?
Old 08-03-17, 05:19 PM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ssjkev16
Hello everyone, just picked up a 2013 GS 350 with the Luxury package not too long ago with 42k miles and I have just noticed some squeaky noise coming from the steering wheel when I turn it left or right while making my turns... does anyone know what this could be and whether or not it can be an easy fix?

Thanks everyone in advance!
coming from steering wheel or the front wheels? It could be wheel bearing
Old 08-03-17, 10:12 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Is your car pass 50k miles now?
OP mentioned that his GS has 42K miles. But since it's a 2013 model, it's past the 4 year part of the warranty.

OP, see if the dealer will "good will" it if it really bothers you.
Old 08-04-17, 07:31 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Depending on when it was delivered it may still be under warranty. Also CPO status does not make any difference and the factory warranty is transferable. Have the dealer check it out as soon as possible as this could be a high cost repair.
Old 08-04-17, 08:20 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
OP mentioned that his GS has 42K miles. But since it's a 2013 model, it's past the 4 year part of the warranty.

OP, see if the dealer will "good will" it if it really bothers you.
The only reason I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer is that I'm pretty certain they are going to charge for the "diagnostic" ... I'm just hoping that someone from this forum has come across this minor issue and has found a "trick" or cost effective way in dealing with the issue.
Old 08-04-17, 08:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

The only reason I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer is that I'm pretty certain they are going to charge for the "diagnostic" ... I'm just hoping that someone from this forum has come across this minor issue and has found a "trick" or cost effective way in dealing with the issue.
Your best bet may be to drop by a sizable body shop to see what they say. Body shops must deal with replacing damaged steering wheels, air bags and related parts all the time. They know the internal 'workings' and the parts that can cause squeaks like you are experiencing. They shouldn't charge you to discuss what is likely needed to fix it...

Has your car been involved in a wreck?
Old 08-04-17, 08:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyfan
coming from steering wheel or the front wheels? It could be wheel bearing
This is a very important question. It could be something serious originating from the wheels or something simple from the steering wheels. My steering wheel occasionally sounds like a little kitten meowing when I turn the wheel. It’s quite odd lol.
Old 08-04-17, 08:56 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You may want to look at this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-noise.html
Old 08-04-17, 02:05 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just ask them if they charge to diagnose.

My first Lexus, '08 ES, was purchased from an independent dealer (not CPO) and developed an oil leak. When I brought it to the dealer they treated me like I had been a customer forever and fixed the problem at no charge. That's incredible as I had to bring it back 3 times and the last 2 times they had to pull the entire engine to repair it properly. Each time I had a loaner at no cost. The problem was due to a cracked cam cover but it was a hairline crack and they just could not locate it. My car was about 2.5 years old at the time. This is one of the reasons that I stayed with Lexus since that first car. I never had a Lexus dealer refuse to do anything or charge me for any warranty repair diagnosis.
Old 08-06-17, 08:19 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's from the steering wheel inside the car I'm telling you I used to have that same noise around 40k miles on my 2013. Just have Lexus check it out to tell you the exact problem then have your personal mechanic swap it out. They changed a cable from what I recall
Old 08-09-17, 01:17 PM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Originally Posted by ARISTOh
If it's from the steering wheel inside the car I'm telling you I used to have that same noise around 40k miles on my 2013. Just have Lexus check it out to tell you the exact problem then have your personal mechanic swap it out. They changed a cable from what I recall
Yep, looks like that is the general consensus around here... OK, going to book and appointment and see what they say... crossing my fingers that it would still be under the power train warranty (but not holding my breath on it)

Quick Reply: Squeaky sounds from steering wheel?