GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cracked windshield repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 07:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I wouldn't recommend Safelite to my worst enemy. Bite the bullet and buy ONLY Lexus OEM glass. Safelite claims theirs is OEM but it is not. They claim the specs are the same but they are not. They caused several hundred dollars in damage to my Lexus when they dripped the sealant/glue on my dashboard wood. They also cut my headliner up with a razor blade doing the installation. Let the buyer beware.
I had a similar experience with Safelite on my Honda. They replaced a side window and scratched up the door jamb and all around the window. When I asked that they pay to fix it, the manager went all loose-cannon on me and said he wasn't going to fix it because "that car's a POS anyway". Lovely place...
Old 08-07-17, 09:42 AM
KennyZ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It can not be fixed. U must change the whole wind shield.
Old 08-07-17, 12:10 PM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer quoted $1200 for my wife's RX and insurance won't cover that much. I asked the dealer who replaces their windshields so they said they don't use OEM glass and gave me the name of the shop they use . I called the installer and they charged $411 for Pilkington which the same glass they would have used if I took my car to the dealer. See if your service department will give you the name of their installer.
Old 08-07-17, 01:21 PM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Took a rock dead center a half inch above the hood on Friday. Instant 8 inch crack that's now just about to the rear view mirror mount. Insurance company recommends Safelite and even set me up with and appointment. Safelite said they had the windshield in stock but couldn't get to until next week because they were booked solid. After reading this thread I became a little curious and went to the website and read some reviews which weren't good. Also found out they had multiple open appointments this week. I called the insurance company, cancelled Safelite and found local shop with great reviews and a lifetime warranty. Looks like a good move based on what's being said.
Old 08-07-17, 01:28 PM
korupted
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nerv81
My dealer quoted $1200 for my wife's RX and insurance won't cover that much. I asked the dealer who replaces their windshields so they said they don't use OEM glass and gave me the name of the shop they use . I called the installer and they charged $411 for Pilkington which the same glass they would have used if I took my car to the dealer. See if your service department will give you the name of their installer.
I called the Lexus dealership and they gave me the number to a local shop that installs windshields. They quoted me about the same price for an OEM Windshield ($1161) if I were to pay out of pocket. I submitted a claim with my insurance and made a request for OEM so hopefully it gets approved. Waiting on the shop to call back.
Old 08-07-17, 01:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by nerv81
Your Lexus dealer does not install Lexus branded OE glass for their customers?

What else does your Lexus dealer substitute in lieu of using Lexus brand parts?
Old 08-07-17, 01:56 PM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Your Lexus dealer does not install Lexus branded OE glass for their customers?

What else does your Lexus dealer substitute in lieu of using Lexus brand parts?
I called my dealership to inquire about OE glass and they said they don't install glass period (Brumo's Lexus of Jacksonville). I called the Toyota dealership and got the same answer. If I want OE glass the shop I choose has to order it from Lexus.
I got the impression that dealerships don't do glass, guess that's wrong?
Old 08-07-17, 02:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
I called my dealership to inquire about OE glass and they said they don't install glass period (Brumo's Lexus of Jacksonville). I called the Toyota dealership and got the same answer. If I want OE glass the shop I choose has to order it from Lexus.
I got the impression that dealerships don't do glass, guess that's wrong?
Replacing a windshield is usually a body shop activity. Most Lexus dealers have a Lexus Certified Collision Center nearby, which will prefer to use Lexus branded glass for replacement of damaged glass unless your insurance says otherwise. Your dealer should be recommending the Lexus Certified Collision Center to you if there is one nearby...

It looks like Fields Collision Center in Jacksonville, FL is a Lexus Certified Collision Centerhttp://www.fieldscollisioncenterjacksonville.com/

Last edited by bclexus; 08-07-17 at 04:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Renrutjw (08-08-17)
Old 08-07-17, 02:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

They don't all have the collision centers. According to the Lexus Certified Collision Center web site, the closest one to me (I'm just north of Seattle) is in Portland, OR, some 200 miles away.
Old 08-07-17, 04:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
They don't all have the collision centers. According to the Lexus Certified Collision Center web site, the closest one to me (I'm just north of Seattle) is in Portland, OR, some 200 miles away.
Correct, not all Lexus dealers have a Lexus Certified Collision Center nearby. We have three of them here in the Metroplex.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-07-17 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 05:58 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Replacing a windshield is usually a body shop activity. Most Lexus dealers have a Lexus Certified Collision Center nearby, which will prefer to use Lexus branded glass for replacement of damaged glass unless your insurance says otherwise. Your dealer should be recommending the Lexus Certified Collision Center to you if there is one nearby...

It looks like Fields Collision Center in Jacksonville, FL is a Lexus Certified Collision Centerhttp://www.fieldscollisioncenterjacksonville.com/
Thanks, I gave them a call. They don't do glass but recommended a vendor.