GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Help. Input speed sensor cut???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 09:56 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mityfang
I won't take my car back to them. I just want to get these issues fixed without having to pay so much out of the pocket. As soon as I get the new transmission I will not be back here again.
I would double check with the dealer to see if they're putting "NEW" transmission. They would normally replace with "rebuilt" tranny, not a brand new.

Make sure they putting on writing if they said "NEW" transmission. The dealer seems really shady.
Old 08-28-17, 10:49 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I would not be too worried about a rebuilt transmission. I had bought a brand new car off the lot several years ago and the transmission started leaking at 4,000 miles. They replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one which I did complain about but there was no other recourse so I let them do it since they were extending the warranty on the transmission to make me feel better.
Fast forward several years when I sold the car with 135K on the ODO. The transmission was going strong with no leaks or problems of any kind.
Old 08-29-17, 09:22 AM
mityfang
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

So it was a re-manufactured transmission acquired from Lexus. The representative told me it has a 1 year warranty on parts but I'm trying to see if I can get it extended or something done to ensure that if it has any issues, it'll be fixed still. Total parts and labor cost over 7k and it was all covered under the powertrain warranty. I don't plan on ever taking my car back to this dealer just from my experience here. My GS drives smooth again like new and the transmission is perfect. I'm just a little concerned about long term reliability on this re-manufactured transmission. I'll see what I can do about it.
Old 08-29-17, 09:53 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

So it was a re-manufactured transmission acquired from Lexus. The representative told me it has a 1 year warranty on parts but I'm trying to see if I can get it extended or something done to ensure that if it has any issues, it'll be fixed still. Total parts and labor cost over 7k and it was all covered under the powertrain warranty. I don't plan on ever taking my car back to this dealer just from my experience here. My GS drives smooth again like new and the transmission is perfect. I'm just a little concerned about long term reliability on this re-manufactured transmission. I'll see what I can do about it.
They gave me a 100K transmission warranty for the trouble.
Old 08-31-17, 07:51 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

OK so did the transmission fail because of all of this or is transmission failing i separate issue?

Last edited by lovemyGSFS; 08-31-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-31-17, 11:49 AM
mityfang
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
OK so did the transmission fail because of all of this or is transmission failing i separate issue?
​​​​​​Hard to say for sure. I suspect it might have to do with the speed sensor failing and or the wire being completely cut off. Lexus just told me it was pretty uncommon and that it would be fixed under warranty. Not taking it back there anymore...
Old 08-31-17, 10:53 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

​​​​​​Hard to say for sure. I suspect it might have to do with the speed sensor failing and or the wire being completely cut off. Lexus just told me it was pretty uncommon and that it would be fixed under warranty. Not taking it back there anymore...
just and fyi, lexus of maplewood and wayzata are both owned by the same people.
Old 09-01-17, 03:27 PM
tknx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would report them to corporate.
Old 09-01-17, 09:21 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tknx
I would report them to corporate.
i've been going to those dealerships for 13 years and have yet to come across any issues.

if you want a service tech that will work with you i can recommend people.