GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Considering 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 02:43 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
So Wood wheel means LP package? And ist only a Sport Suspension mode package, and it was $7k new?
Only Luxury Package comes with wood trip wheel. The accessory package was $7K add on in 2013.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-20-17)
Old 08-20-17, 04:59 AM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its not an F sport, so that must mean its the luxury? It has the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

If i am reading it correctly, doesn't the CPO warranty cover some maintenance for a period time?
Old 08-20-17, 06:54 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

2013 is the only year rwd with the 6 speed transmission which many say shifts faster and doesn't hunt through gears like the 8 speeds 2014 and newer. I am an original 2013 owner and was very disappointed when they announced the 8 speed change but after the seeing the comments on the forum considered myself very lucky.
Old 08-20-17, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
2013 is the only year rwd with the 6 speed transmission which many say shifts faster and doesn't hunt through gears like the 8 speeds 2014 and newer. I am an original 2013 owner and was very disappointed when they announced the 8 speed change but after the seeing the comments on the forum considered myself very lucky.
That is what I have read, 6 speed more responsive and satisfying then the 8 speed. I think you would be even more disappointed with a 2016 because I think they did something to the gearing for mpg. I test drove a 2016 GS350 and it felt like it was missing 30hp or 40hp, I asked the salesmen if it was even a 6 cylinder and not the 4 or if I had it in some kind of eco mode but it wasn't. My GS430 that I got back in felt so much quicker and more powerful.
Old 08-20-17, 10:47 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

That's the main reason I am looking for a 2013 GS. Heard it felt and was quicker, and more precise in gearing.
Old 08-20-17, 10:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperGuest
I know its not an F sport, so that must mean its the luxury? It has the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

If i am reading it correctly, doesn't the CPO warranty cover some maintenance for a period time?
Just because it has heated/cooled seats does not mean it is a luxury package, base cars had it too unless you got a non nav model. Heated steering wheel came standard with AWD which the car likely is in CT, I think it was a option for base GS350's too, a heated steering wheel is not standard on the 2013 Luxury package.

The easiest way to tell if it is a luxury package is it has wood trim on the steering wheel and the wood is a polished glossy darker brown compared to the lighter colored more matte wood in the base, the wheels are multi spoke and larger, plus in the rear seat there are controls in the fold down console for heating/audio.

Do you have a picture or a link to the car, it will be very easy to tell if it is a Luxury package?
Old 08-20-17, 03:39 PM
SuperGuest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok then this one must be a base. The steering wheel is leather and theres nothing in the arm rest in the back. I was looking at the Carfax, and its been sitting on the lot since early July I should be able to leverage that
Old 08-20-17, 05:20 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Yes, the CPO offers 2 year warranty and 2 year scheduled mainetnence (oil change/filters @10K miles, tire rotations at 5K intervals etc).
Old 08-20-17, 05:41 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Ok then this one must be a base. The steering wheel is leather and theres nothing in the arm rest in the back. I was looking at the Carfax, and its been sitting on the lot since early July I should be able to leverage that
See your Sig says CT are you in CT, be driving the car in Weather? Is it a AWD?

Still a high price IMO. You shop the Web? Maintenance is not much $ on the GS. A Extended service Contract from other Dealers, for 4 years can be had from $1800 - $2500.

Patience is always a good thing also. I also look for about 60 days or less to find exactly what I want. Color, miles, Equipment, PRICE. And I get the Car in shop to get checked out.before I buy. That helps a lot to. Likely no need to get a CPO from a Lexus checked out tho. But other Dealers I do.
Old 08-20-17, 06:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Chances are it has the Premium Package, which includes: Rain-sensing wipers, Heated and ventilated front seats & Power rear sunshade...along with the 12.3" Navigation System.

Also, most (not all) GS 350's that have the Premium Package added also have Blind Spot Monitor, Intuitive Parking Assist & 18-inch split-five-spoke alloy wheels with Superchrome finish
Old 08-20-17, 08:02 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm glad I have 6 speed speed with my 13, I haven't driven the 8 speeds but I probably wouldn't like it. I drive "manually" most of the time. It could have the cold weather package, if you signup on the my lexus drivers site it may show what package it has if you plugin the vin. I have a AWD 13 and it has the cold weather package. Cold weather package also has double pain windows iirc. I can hit up to 40 in 1st gear if I remember right, and with the apexi accel the throttle comes on quick with sport mode and the awd, so it feels very quick off the line. I need to time the 0-60 sometime to see what it does with the setup.
Old 08-21-17, 09:17 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everyone,

New to Lexus coming from a Tundra. I am looking at a 2013 Lexus GS350 with 50k miles, 1 owner, CPO, with the dealer asking for $28k. Other than some scratches, some interior blemishes and some stupid looking pin stripe, the car seems to be in good condition, rides and drives very nicely, much better than a pickup lol.

It has a clean car fax that shows all the service records from that dealer. Obviously, Lexus is part of Toyota which speaks to its reliability and nothing really jumps out at me on the forum here as known issues or persistent problems

I have a deal in principal for the car but in the interest of not being impulsive I wanted to take a day and think.

If there are any known concerns/issues/problems with this model year that I should bring up or something about the CPO warranty I may not know about it would be greatly appreciated
What package does your GS 350 have? is it the base model, F-sport or with the Luxury package? That would help us guage your pricing on the GS as the packages will +/- $2500 to $3000 on the price of a base model. I just recently purchased mine with the luxury package and its been nothing short of amazing in terms of performance and comfort aside from a steering wheel squeak that i get when making turns it's been problem free.
Old 08-22-17, 02:48 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i cringe every time i read someone say CPO on these cars are not necessary or that these cars are pretty reliable and no need to get a CPO. while it's your money and you can do as you please, keep in mind you are purchasing a vehicle someone else drove and maintained (and most likely not nearly as well as you would take care of it especially if it's coming off a lease). i leased a car once and anytime something happened, i would always say "who cares, it's a lease anyway." I currently own a 2013 GS 350 with the luxury package. I am the original owner and have the vehicle regularly serviced. purchased the extended warranty as I got close to 50k miles and it has already paid for itself as I had one of the blind spot sonar sensors go bad in the back. nothing on these cars is cheap to fix, so keep that in mind
Old 08-22-17, 09:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by varcity64
i cringe every time i read someone say CPO on these cars are not necessary or that these cars are pretty reliable and no need to get a CPO. while it's your money and you can do as you please, keep in mind you are purchasing a vehicle someone else drove and maintained (and most likely not nearly as well as you would take care of it especially if it's coming off a lease). i leased a car once and anytime something happened, i would always say "who cares, it's a lease anyway." I currently own a 2013 GS 350 with the luxury package. I am the original owner and have the vehicle regularly serviced. purchased the extended warranty as I got close to 50k miles and it has already paid for itself as I had one of the blind spot sonar sensors go bad in the back. nothing on these cars is cheap to fix, so keep that in mind
CPO is nice and may give you a nice peace of mind but paying an extra $2000-$3500 for it does not make much sense especially with the GS350 or other reliable cars with few issues. Not all CPO cars are perfect either. These cars are mostly trouble free and don't have expensive trouble spots from what I have been reading, doubt you will find many who racked up $2000-3000+ in repairs/issues even at dealership prices through the CPO for a GS unless something really odd happens like the screen goes out.

It is easy these days to find the service history of a Lexus car. If there is no record of maintenance at the Lexus dealership or it is really lite and the seller has no records of maintenance anywhere else or DIY's receipts then it may be a good idea to skip the car. Most cars are leased these days, I believe you are required as part of the lease to get the car serviced at service intervals aren't you or it loses value? Not many people buy or even lease a $45K+ car and then just beat on it and don't bother with the basic maintenance schedule especially when modern cars remind you of when it needs to be serviced. Modern oils and fluids are very good too, these fluids last well past normal maintenance schedules so extended service intervals is not going to harm a car in most situations especially on ones with less then 70K miles where there are not many big things that need to be done maintenance wise, just mostly checks and fluid/filter changes.
Old 08-22-17, 11:37 AM
ssjkev16
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
CPO is nice and may give you a nice peace of mind but paying an extra $2000-$3500 for it does not make much sense especially with the GS350 or other reliable cars with few issues. Not all CPO cars are perfect either. These cars are mostly trouble free and don't have expensive trouble spots from what I have been reading, doubt you will find many who racked up $2000-3000+ in repairs/issues even at dealership prices through the CPO for a GS unless something really odd happens like the screen goes out.

It is easy these days to find the service history of a Lexus car. If there is no record of maintenance at the Lexus dealership or it is really lite and the seller has no records of maintenance anywhere else or DIY's receipts then it may be a good idea to skip the car. Most cars are leased these days, I believe you are required as part of the lease to get the car serviced at service intervals aren't you or it loses value? Not many people buy or even lease a $45K+ car and then just beat on it and don't bother with the basic maintenance schedule especially when modern cars remind you of when it needs to be serviced. Modern oils and fluids are very good too, these fluids last well past normal maintenance schedules so extended service intervals is not going to harm a car in most situations especially on ones with less then 70K miles where there are not many big things that need to be done maintenance wise, just mostly checks and fluid/filter changes.
Or up here in Canada where it starts at $58K and up... yeesh!

Quick Reply: Considering 2013 GS 350