GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is This Car Too Good to be True?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17 | 02:45 PM
jagsfan201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tsharpe27
Good point. At 57K miles the car should still be good for a LOT of miles. I have the same car with the luxury package and have never had an issue. Now, the Lexus dealers make a killing with the service, especially the 30 and 60K service. My dealer gave me a quote of $1028 for the 60K service, which I am simply not going to do. Just not worth it and I can go to Jiffy lube for my oil changes. My tires are rotated for free at the tire dealer. BTW my car has the same mileage.

i think the price you received of $23 K is a very good price. I was offered a check for $25K if I would lease a new GMC. I also, would try to negotiate a 6 month warranty to close the deal. Do not ask for 3-6, as you will get the 3 month warranty if anything.

Good luck.

Also, no way I would have the car shipped and pay $1,000 to do so. What if it arrives and you don't like it or find something wrong...you are in trouble then without warranty. Also, for the life of me, can't you find a used Lexus in New York. I could and would rather than go through all this hazzle...just saying.
I will chime in re: car shipped. 2 yrs ago I purchased my ex's Infiniti Q50 sight unseen, and had it shipped from Texas to Florida. FWIW, I paid for the delivery (1100) from a reputable national mover of classic and rare cars. That wasn't an issue. The issue was on our first "test drive", the car pulled to the left when accelarating. I am not saying this to scare anyone out of this process, as I have and know of many who buy cars like this all the time. I would, however say it is worth a flight to the city the car is in (even if you fly in and out same day) to check the car out, get it checked at a local reputable mechanic shop, and if it all checks out, close the deal before you fly home. My boss did that with his Audi A7 and his wife's RX.
Old 09-21-17 | 06:32 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply. There are no GS's in NY with the luxury package. What I am looking for most in that package is the 18 way adjustable passenger seat (wife has horrible back problems) and the rear side sun shades for kids. Also, I want a luxury ride. I am coming from an LS competitor and just dont want to spend the money on an LS. Neither the cost to buy OR the cost to own...I'm just not at that point in my life right now.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to justify that. But there are only 9 luxury package cars in the country with 0 accidents and less than 61k miles so I am kinda stuck. I am going to see what their "basic warranty" is that is sold with every car from a dealer and see if I cant negotiate an extension on it. I also have a friend in sacramento who is a car guy and is willing to go take it for a spin. I am mitigating my damage as best as possible I think...no?
Old 09-21-17 | 08:27 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Thanks for the reply. There are no GS's in NY with the luxury package. What I am looking for most in that package is the 18 way adjustable passenger seat (wife has horrible back problems) and the rear side sun shades for kids. Also, I want a luxury ride. I am coming from an LS competitor and just dont want to spend the money on an LS. Neither the cost to buy OR the cost to own...I'm just not at that point in my life right now.

Anyway, I shouldn't have to justify that. But there are only 9 luxury package cars in the country with 0 accidents and less than 61k miles so I am kinda stuck. I am going to see what their "basic warranty" is that is sold with every car from a dealer and see if I cant negotiate an extension on it. I also have a friend in sacramento who is a car guy and is willing to go take it for a spin. I am mitigating my damage as best as possible I think...no?
Having someone test it (trust given) is the next best thing if you ask me. A warranty would be nice but since its aftermarket no matter how you cut it, I’d be shopping that around.

I got my GS from California. Freight is expensive. But none is going to move your car for cheap. And they don’t just roll your car alone (usually). It’s a full tray of vehicles and takes a little while - mine was like 10 days. To go from Cali to Va. Dealer split the cost so I was fine but I would have sprung the full cost if I had to.
Old 09-21-17 | 11:42 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Thank you all. The freight I think is reasonable. And my time line is flexible. My current lease is up in december. So I can close the deal and wait 20 days for the car in shipping if need be. I am going to call them next week (monday or tuesda) so I don't seem desperate and see what webs I can weave lol
Old 09-21-17 | 02:17 PM
microsup
Pit Crew

If you really need that 18 way adjustable seat why wouldn't you consider F-Sport? It could be easy to find F-Sport than base with luxury package.
Old 09-21-17 | 03:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by microsup
If you really need that 18 way adjustable seat why wouldn't you consider F-Sport? It could be easy to find F-Sport than base with luxury package.
The front passenger seat in the F Sport is only 10 way, driver's seat 16.
Old 09-21-17 | 03:56 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

I wish I could retrofit the new Lincoln continental seats in our cars, now THOSE are nice seats!
Old 09-21-17 | 06:24 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Just an update to the above. Hundreds of 1 star reviews for this place. From managers cursing at customers to everyone complaining of hidden fees and charges to them manipulating interest rates. BBB complaints and complaints to lexus of north america.

All of the sudden this Cali car is looking better and better lol

Be VERY VERY careful with Tri County Lexus. When buying my Lexus, they had (and always have) many certified cars below value. They easily add couple thouse as required fees (as many reviews will show) and are what comes to mind of a sketchy corner of the road dealership.

Also, the condition of many of their cars are bad - not saying all, they did have a handful in great condition, but many of their cheaper ones were certified and in ridiculous condiiton (one ES they had had front and rear bumper and rear quarter panel damaged/loose, the body severely scratched, lot of dents/dings/scratches - literally what you think about a car that was driven + parked on the streets of NYC. Again, not saying don't shop there, but just as a warning.

Ended up buying from Lexus of Greenwich (CT), they were pretty good, and they tend to mark their cars down until they sell, so if they have a car on their lot for a couple months, it's likely near or at auction price, even when CPO'd. The DC/MD/VA area might have a bit more inventory b/c of the high average income + wealth of luxury cars on the road, but they tend to be higher priced than the northeast. Also had a positive experience with Prestige Lexus in NJ, but they sold the car the morning I got there (I just showed up, did not call or anything, so no blame on them)

good luck!
Old 09-21-17 | 08:02 PM
mattds
Pit Crew

for that it's worth, i bought the same year and options (right down the night vision) for 31K CAD in nov of 2015. AT the time it has 81k km and was still within the warranty. IT basically had all the f-sport options and all the lux options. it does not have the larger brake rotors or the variable ratio steering.

Anyways, i got it from a dealer that deals with german cars primarily and they didn't seem to know how to price it out. no issues with the car other than the sunroof rattle which a few cars have.
Old 09-22-17 | 06:00 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Be VERY VERY careful with Tri County Lexus. When buying my Lexus, they had (and always have) many certified cars below value. They easily add couple thouse as required fees (as many reviews will show) and are what comes to mind of a sketchy corner of the road dealership.

Also, the condition of many of their cars are bad - not saying all, they did have a handful in great condition, but many of their cheaper ones were certified and in ridiculous condiiton (one ES they had had front and rear bumper and rear quarter panel damaged/loose, the body severely scratched, lot of dents/dings/scratches - literally what you think about a car that was driven + parked on the streets of NYC. Again, not saying don't shop there, but just as a warning.

Ended up buying from Lexus of Greenwich (CT), they were pretty good, and they tend to mark their cars down until they sell, so if they have a car on their lot for a couple months, it's likely near or at auction price, even when CPO'd. The DC/MD/VA area might have a bit more inventory b/c of the high average income + wealth of luxury cars on the road, but they tend to be higher priced than the northeast. Also had a positive experience with Prestige Lexus in NJ, but they sold the car the morning I got there (I just showed up, did not call or anything, so no blame on them)

good luck!
I did my research on Tri-County lexus. They are basically scam artists. I will not ever be buying a car from them. With all of their hidden fees, a car advertised at $22,800 would be sold at $26,500 before taxes. They are the reason that car dealers still get a bad rep. Scumbags...all of them.
Originally Posted by mattds
for that it's worth, i bought the same year and options (right down the night vision) for 31K CAD in nov of 2015. AT the time it has 81k km and was still within the warranty. IT basically had all the f-sport options and all the lux options. it does not have the larger brake rotors or the variable ratio steering.

Anyways, i got it from a dealer that deals with german cars primarily and they didn't seem to know how to price it out. no issues with the car other than the sunroof rattle which a few cars have.
Cool, thanks. It sounds like this car really is a good deal.
Old 09-22-17 | 08:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I did my research on Tri-County lexus. They are basically scam artists. I will not ever be buying a car from them. With all of their hidden fees, a car advertised at $22,800 would be sold at $26,500 before taxes. They are the reason that car dealers still get a bad rep. Scumbags...all of them.

Cool, thanks. It sounds like this car really is a good deal.
I hate shady dishonest dealerships that do that and many of them do. That is why it is important to negotiate on a out the door final price and make sure you mention several times and are stern with the out the door final price. Once they start taking on fees, extras, "forgot something" be prepared to tell them that is not the price I agreed on and to leave.
Old 09-22-17 | 08:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I am in the same boat, there are so few luxury package GS's it is frustrating and most are awd which I don't want, ruins the stance of the car. I really wish they did not price that luxury package so high and I can see why most did not choose it at that price. I think that is part of the reason the GS did not sell very well was the F sport and luxury package were priced so high and the base without those packages is so close to the ES. There are more flagship LS460's listed then luxury package GS's.
Old 09-22-17 | 09:13 AM
atrac7
Driver

Originally Posted by mattds

This was similar to my buying experiences...if CPO is not an immediate need, then the 3rd party dealership route was advantageous to me as the buyer, because I purchased my Lux pkg from one that clearly had more experience with the German makes. In fact, my car was not even really advertised as a lux pkg....just that it had HUD.

It also was not called out in the online advertisement that it had Mark Levinson, and I think the salesperson was even shocked a little that the armrest in the back had the climate controls when i pulled it down to inspect it. He was basically pricing this lux pkg car in-line with with many of the F-Sports in his inventory, if not even a little lower because he probably was putting a premium on the F-sport badge itself.
Old 09-22-17 | 11:28 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ Lucky! Lol
Old 09-26-17 | 07:36 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I just wanted to give you all an update on this. I am still working with the dealer to haggle a price but I called the dealership that did all of the services on the car that show up in the carfax and they sent me all of the customer records of what the services were. Most of them were brake squeal on first drive in the morning. Some were how to set the wipers to auto mode. One was there was a stick under the car that was making noise.

There were no big complaints outside of a couple recalls (trunk latch, MAF sensor, brake pads) for this car. That is up until 40k miles. After that, it blanks out for 20k miles so I will have no record of that. I am still strongly considering this car as I think it is at a good price point.

Thanks all

OFGS

Quick Reply: Is This Car Too Good to be True?