Advice needed - gear hunting in a 6-speed GS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 11:22 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice needed - gear hunting in a 6-speed GS350

Hi all

I've been test-driving a 2013 GS350 with a six-speed auto box. It feels like the car is hunting for gears with the kick-down in gear fierce but normal cruising fairly lazy on throttle response. My understanding is that this is a problem with the 8-speed box in later years.

I've toggled the settings between eco, normal and sport but haven't noticed a big difference between normal and sport.

Has anybody experienced a problem like this? Is this a known problem with an easy fix?
Old 09-20-17, 11:23 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, I am overseas and there are no used F-sports for sale right now - so not an option
Old 09-20-17, 12:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I don’t recall any transmissions issues with the 4GS that have required replacement or service since I’ve been on these forums for ~5 years. The transmission shift logic learns and adjusts shift behavior depending on the driver. If the previous owner drove it like a Buick then it may be the cause of the slushbox feel you experienced. Just a thought.
Old 09-20-17, 01:16 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Hi all

I've been test-driving a 2013 GS350 with a six-speed auto box. It feels like the car is hunting for gears with the kick-down in gear fierce but normal cruising fairly lazy on throttle response. My understanding is that this is a problem with the 8-speed box in later years.

I've toggled the settings between eco, normal and sport but haven't noticed a big difference between normal and sport.

Has anybody experienced a problem like this? Is this a known problem with an easy fix?
I notice a big difference between normal and sport, and especially between normal and sport +
Old 09-20-17, 01:58 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Hi all

In sport mode, the throttle response becomes more sensitive but car tries to be more proactive with downshifts, so if you give it a little more throttle, it downshifts and holds the lower gear longer. It works well if you're on open roads or track, but in light/moderate traffic where you're modulating your throttle inputs, it's not ideal.

If you like the throttle response of Sport mode but without unexpected shifting - drop it to Manual(best part is you also get rev-matched downshifts here - warning: it's addictive).
Old 09-20-17, 03:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
I notice a big difference between normal and sport, and especially between normal and sport +
The parameters for engine throttle response and transmission shift characteristics are exactly the same for both Sport mode and Sport+ mode.
Old 09-20-17, 03:52 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The parameters for engine throttle response and transmission shift characteristics are exactly the same for both Sport mode and Sport+ mode.
Maybe for upshifting, but sport+ holds the gears longer for sure.
Old 09-20-17, 04:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DP03
Maybe for upshifting, but sport+ holds the gears longer for sure.
Sport and Sport+ modes have exactly the same engine throttle [mapping] and transmission shift characteristics.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-20-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 05:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Also, for those GS 350 owners that may not already know:

At WOT (wide-open-throttle) the GS 350 engine performs at Sport/Sport+ mode throttle characteristics regardless of which drive Mode is selected, including even ECO Mode.

Also, the GS 350 transmission will automatically upshift at redline regardless whether the transmission shift selector is in Drive or in Manual. In other words, if you were at [say] a drag strip and selected manual shift 'M1' - you could leave it in 'M1' and never upshift and it will automatically upshift at redline.
Old 09-20-17, 06:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I don €™t recall any transmissions issues with the 4GS that have required replacement or service since I €™ve been on these forums for ~5 years. The transmission shift logic learns and adjusts shift behavior depending on the driver. If the previous owner drove it like a Buick then it may be the cause of the slushbox feel you experienced. Just a thought.
I believe this to be true as well. My battery died on me a few months ago and the car was without a battery for half a day while I picked up a new one and replaced it. Once I started driving, it felt like the ECU was reset and the car felt much more responsive. My mechanic told me that its very possible that the computer would "re-learn" my driving characteristics so the car would perform the way you need it to...he said it may run lean for a bit and feel a bit more peppy.

As i've been driving in city traffic, the car has cooled off so to speak. It feels just fine during full throttle but city speed limits around here are 25mph with speed cams all over so getting to 25 happens quick enough (probably true in almost any car)...its only on the highway where you can really test the GS.

OP: I'd say disconnect the battery for a bit, reconnect and retry (not sure if the dealership where you are test driving will do this though). If possible, test drive another 6-speed GS and see how it compares.
Old 09-20-17, 06:52 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
The transmission shift logic learns and adjusts shift behavior depending on the driver.
I didn't really believe that this happened until I drove through the mountains a few times and now my car literally holds gears when it makes no sense other than I previously down-shifted with the paddles as I approached the curves, and now I notice as I drive aggressively in "D" Sport + the car down-shifts quickly and holds the gear for me!
Old 09-20-17, 07:23 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Sport and Sport+ modes have exactly the same engine throttle [mapping] and transmission shift characteristics.

I believe the above chart applies to the GS 200T as well. I have a 2016 GS 200T (non F-Sport). Between the ECO and Sport modes, I cannot perceive any difference in steering response/feedback. I wish I could. I do perceive a difference in throttle and shifting characteristics. Perhaps other non-F-Sport GS owners can chime in regarding whether they perceive any difference in steering response/feedback between the ECO and Sport modes.
Old 09-20-17, 07:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
I believe the above chart applies to the GS 200T as well. I have a 2016 GS 200T (non F-Sport). Between the ECO and Sport modes, I cannot perceive any difference in steering response/feedback. I wish I could. I do perceive a difference in throttle and shifting characteristics. Perhaps other non-F-Sport GS owners can chime in regarding whether they perceive any difference in steering response/feedback between the ECO and Sport modes.
You should have increased steering feedback (a heavier feeling that requires a bit more force) when you select Sport mode on your non-F-Sport GS 350. This is something that you might not detect...since the difference is rather minimal to some people.
Old 09-20-17, 09:27 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

In my old BMW you could reset the transmission shifting points and have it relearn your driving by putting it in the 1-2 key position and holding the throttle down for 25 seconds. When you start it it would adjust to how you drive. I don't know if there is any method for these cars for doing the same thing without disconnecting the battery. But disconnecting the battery should definitely relearn. Maybe I'll search on the IS forum to see if theres a way since its the same setup more or less. It makes me wonder if since I installed my apexi accell how it effects the shifting, and how it would react if I disconnected the battery and relearned it in the mode I'm usually in (red).