GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Possible Issues with Mark Levinson Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 12:37 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by twylie
Is it definitely the speaker? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the window control panel rattling at certain frequencies. If you can replicate it, try pressing on various parts of the window control panel and if it goes away, it's an easy fix. There are some posts on here and a video showing how to wrap electrical tape around the switch housing to keep it from vibrating against the switch base.
Thanks for the tip, The other night I heard the noise again, and I put my left knee against the door/switch bank thing and it changed it (stopped it mostly) so its definitely the panel just like in that guy's youtube video... so I guess I have to try to find a plastic tool or tongue depressor or something to try to free the panel.

-Mike
Old 10-03-17, 09:57 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Thanks for the tip, The other night I heard the noise again, and I put my left knee against the door/switch bank thing and it changed it (stopped it mostly) so its definitely the panel just like in that guy's youtube video... so I guess I have to try to find a plastic tool or tongue depressor or something to try to free the panel.

-Mike
It's a 15 minute fix. You can get a narrow panel tool and wrap it in painters tape to be extra safe. I picked up a plastic panel tool set for $10 on Amazon and it doesn't take a lot of force to pry that control piece up. Once it's removed, you can shake it and see where the housings are rattling. I did one a couple wraps of electrical tape around it and it's been silent ever since.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (10-03-17)
Old 10-03-17, 10:27 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart350
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 F sport with the Mark Levinson sound system. It sounds amazing, but if a song has too much bass then it sounds a little off. I took it into Lexus and they told me the sub could not handle the bass. Anyone have this issue as well? Most of my music is high quality? Are there any recommended settings? Any help is greatly appreciated.
High quality music in a car audio system? That should be played in a high quality home system. My RX hybrid has ML radio too but I just listen to traffic conditions,
news stuff like that mostly. I want to hear what my vehicle is doing while driving. Enjoying music is done at home. Home theater or separate 2 Channel music only system.
Old 10-03-17, 03:03 PM
drgrant
Instructor

It's a 15 minute fix. You can get a narrow panel tool and wrap it in painters tape to be extra safe. I picked up a plastic panel tool set for $10 on Amazon and it doesn't take a lot of force to pry that control piece up. Once it's removed, you can shake it and see where the housings are rattling. I did one a couple wraps of electrical tape around it and it's been silent ever since.
I just bought a set on Amazon for $11, ill see how this goes. I have some 3M Super 33 laying around so that should fix it for the rest of its life... that tape is killer.

-Mike
Old 10-03-17, 03:16 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 215 Likes on 147 Posts

For the premium price they sell this "upgrade" for, you would think it would be better. It's not much of an upgrade, and certainly not worth the $1,500-2,000 they're charging for it now.

What if you change out the sub to one that can handle the power?
Old 10-04-17, 11:36 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart350
Well ok thanks. I'm glad im not the only one. Mine depending on the song sounds bad above 38 or 45ish. Its rather sad that it's not able to handle bass being that is is an upgraded system. I don't want to think about how terrible the regular sound system would sound.
Also forgot to mention, I had a 13 GS before, with the regular sound system, it didn't have this bass distortion issue. Regular speakers sound great too everybody would ask if they're stock speakers or not
Old 10-08-17, 01:43 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Just an update.... fix went well, it took about 5 minutes total. Having the tool was a necessity, and I had to pry from the front first, the rear was very right so I carefully worked my way around the edge and eventually popped it loose, then when I had it out I put some 3M Super 33 around the entire housing... I used about 5 or so wraps stretching it tight, came out nice.... no more rattle with the bass!!!

-Mike
Old 07-23-24, 04:07 AM
arjvnv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it definitely the speaker? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the window control panel rattling at certain frequencies. If you can replicate it, try pressing on various parts of the window control panel and if it goes away, it's an easy fix. There are some posts on here and a video showing how to wrap electrical tape around the switch housing to keep it from vibrating against the switch base.
hey, could you point me towards one of those videos possibly ? Just got a 2015 Gs350 F-Sport, same issue rattle in the driver door on certain bass hits. As well as the muddy sub issue but don’t think that can be fixed.
Old 07-23-24, 07:45 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 284 Likes on 244 Posts

Has anyone found a kit for an easy plug and play sub upgrade? Maybe even with an Amp?
Old 07-23-24, 10:32 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by arjvnv
hey, could you point me towards one of those videos possibly ? Just got a 2015 Gs350 F-Sport, same issue rattle in the driver door on certain bass hits. As well as the muddy sub issue but don’t think that can be fixed.
Check your post and my response right after where I linked to a YT video with the window door rattle fix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11760319

~ im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 07-23-24 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-29-24, 03:43 PM
arjvnv
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Check your post and my response right after where I linked to a YT video with the window door rattle fix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11760319

~ im2bz2p345
Fixed! Appreciate it. Do you know of any workaround for the muddy sub/pop issues. Was thinking about buying an aftermarket to replace it, but don’t really want to do that.
I have a JBL MS8 dsp going in soon, I’m hoping that will let me tune it to maybe eliminate the frequencies that cause the pops etc. But feel it might only mitigate the issue.