GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 vs 2014. Which would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 11:23 AM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really surprised at all the people choosing the 2013. I'd go for the 2014 myself.
Old 09-29-17, 12:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

You may never actually know it, but you'll be happier with the 6-speed transmission in the 2013.
Old 09-29-17, 02:46 PM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I literally have the same car. Got mine May of last year at ~22K miles for ~$32K certified. It's at 38K right now & have not had a single issue. I wish I had the power folding mirrors but that's minor compared to everything else it comes with.
Old 09-29-17, 07:13 PM
kadams1123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a stressful day. It started around 8:30AM when I first expressed my intention to make a deposit to reserve the car. Between finalizing the loan, selling my old car at another dealership, and the purchase process, I got home with my new car around 8:30PM. Thankfully I didn't get into a wreck working the menus to get the air conditioning right. I definitely have to study up now with the owner's manual. But that is part of the fun.

What a joy it is to drive this car. So refined yet so responsive when you want it to be. I don't miss my old V8 GS430 at all. It feels just as quick. Steering is lighter but precise. It feels like a lighter car even though it is not. Much more to discover is the coming days. Maybe I need to start a new thread or add to another under the subject: why I love my 2013 Lexus GS350. Thanks again for everybody's input.

Oh, btw, it has one more nifty thing I failed to mention. The heads up display is pretty cool.
Old 09-29-17, 10:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,155 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by kadams1123
What a stressful day. It started around 8:30AM when I first expressed my intention to make a deposit to reserve the car. Between finalizing the loan, selling my old car at another dealership, and the purchase process, I got home with my new car around 8:30PM. Thankfully I didn't get into a wreck working the menus to get the air conditioning right. I definitely have to study up now with the owner's manual. But that is part of the fun.

What a joy it is to drive this car. So refined yet so responsive when you want it to be. I don't miss my old V8 GS430 at all. It feels just as quick. Steering is lighter but precise. It feels like a lighter car even though it is not. Much more to discover is the coming days. Maybe I need to start a new thread or add to another under the subject: why I love my 2013 Lexus GS350. Thanks again for everybody's input.

Oh, btw, it has one more nifty thing I failed to mention. The heads up display is pretty cool.
You will enjoy it. I just took my GS for a drive tonight and it still rides beautifully. Perfectly capable as a cruiser and very willing and eager when pushed in a straight-line or through a couple of dips/turns. I had an '01 GS430 and although i felt it had more low-end pull and somewhat more refined, it wasn't as well-rounded as the 4GS. Plus, you got a rare one with all the goodies. When I was shopping for my 4GS, a few weeks after I bought mine another white/flaxen came into my dealership with all options including the HUD for around 4k more...I wanted to trade up but knew I would take a crazy hit so I kept my base model and used the extra money to add a few nice mods..

Congrats on the purchase
Old 09-30-17, 01:13 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

When I got my 14 it had Heads up display/Dynamic rear steer and ML sound with these options it was a no brainer over the 13 along with the folding side view mirrors.
Old 09-30-17, 05:56 AM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!
I just bought a 2013 GS350 F Sport last month and loving it. I was looking for a 2015 but this one came up with low mileage in the exact color/options I was looking for and went for it. It was customer ordered and has a build date of Aug 2014 so one of the last 13's off the line at the Tahara plant.

Last edited by harper7; 09-30-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-30-17, 09:44 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

What a joy it is to drive this car. So refined yet so responsive when you want it to be. I don't miss my old V8 GS430 at all. It feels just as quick. Steering is lighter but precise. It feels like a lighter car even though it is not. Much more to discover is the coming days. Maybe I need to start a new thread or add to another under the subject: why I love my 2013 Lexus GS350. Thanks again for everybody's input
Congratulations!

And yeah, I love the way it feels like a lighter car even though it's not. I was cross-shopping with a 5-series and that thing was the opposite; it drove like it was even larger than it was!
Old 09-30-17, 12:05 PM
kadams1123
Driver School Candidate

In respectful memoriam, I lovingly kiss you goodbye to my old 2006 GS 430. You were a great car. The greatest car I have ever known actually. Up until around 90k when you started to become a money pit. I will always miss your low end torque. When passing cars on a 2 lane highway you always told me, eh, no problem, I got this, no big deal. I will always love you for that.

But now I have found a newer younger car and I have to be true to myself.
Old 10-13-17, 05:43 PM
kadams1123
Driver School Candidate

2 weeks in now. I’m still in the **** eating grin honeymoon period. Still have to pinch myself. ��

This can be a dangerous time. Before you have mastered the tech you can be a distracted driver. It’s like that for any modern car. I try to figure stuff out when I am parked and limit my controls to what I know when I am driving. But I am not immune to making mistakes. But so far so good.

Funny thing happened this morning. I happened to drive into work at the exact right time so that the sun shined directly into the cavernous enclosure of the display screen and it was blinding. I did not expect that. Wow. It needed a little pulldown shade screen like my rear side windows have. I guess Lexus can’t think of everything.

I also noticed an ever so slight rattle in the glove box when stopped at a traffic light. Dang it! These cars are so quiet that any little rattle shows up. It does not go away if I push the glove box door forward. But if I put my finger on top of the door and gently press down it goes away. Since the car is so utterly perfect in every other way, I only have these minuscule nit pics to point out.

After driving this car for 2 weeks now, I am more impressed than ever in how it feels both more luxurious and sportier at the same time. More cushy over rough pavement, but firmer when pushed. Never ever floaty. From a stop, it feels quicker getting out of the gate. It is so eager to rev and jump out. About the only thing I miss in my old V8 is the torque at higher speeds. In my mind I got the best of the F-Sport in the Lux pack with the AVS but without the harsher ride. But the larger rims do make the F-Sports look cooler.

Oddly, it doesn’t play all the DVD-Audio disks that my 2006 could play. For some disks, it just plays 10 seconds or so of a track and then goes back to the beginning of the track. For every track of the disk it does this. At first, I thought I had a defective player. But it plays some DVD-Audio disks just fine. It plays regular CDs and DVDs just fine. I am not going to sweat it but I am wondering about it. Has anybody else had this issue? The disks continue to play fine in my home player. Should I bring this up while the car is still in the 90 day Auto Nation warranty period?

Last edited by kadams1123; 10-13-17 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 07:02 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up in a 14 myself. F sport, Nebula Gray Pearl, 65k miles, but CPO, all services done at the same dealer I got it from - also extended the warranty for another 4 years. Absolutely love it - only thing is that I have the dreaded noisy brakes, so taking it in next week to get it fixed under warranty. I definitely see what you mean about being distracted by the new tech, try to make sure I set everything the way I like it before I actually pull off.
Old 10-14-17, 12:04 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

In respectful memoriam, I lovingly kiss you goodbye to my old 2006 GS 430. You were a great car. The greatest car I have ever known actually. Up until around 90k when you started to become a money pit. I will always miss your low end torque. When passing cars on a 2 lane highway you always told me, eh, no problem, I got this, no big deal. I will always love you for that.

But now I have found a newer younger car and I have to be true to myself.
Dear owner,

You loved me and left me. After many years of faithful service, you left me for a younger car. Now all I can do is eat ice cream and watch Eat, Pray, Love.

Car
Old 10-14-17, 06:41 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You may never actually know it, but you'll be happier with the 6-speed transmission in the 2013.
I test drove the 13, then the 14 the same day at a different dealership. I preferred the 8 speed transmission myself.
Old 10-14-17, 07:53 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWizard
I test drove the 13, then the 14 the same day at a different dealership. I preferred the 8 speed transmission myself.
Then the 8-speed transmission should be the one you should get...
Old 10-15-17, 02:39 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Out of curiousity what makes you say that? Is it just the way the 6 shifts?

I really wanted a 8 speed RWD but in this part of the country where I live it's nearly impossible to get one unless you import it from
somewhere else. I don't regret the 6 at all in the 2015 F-sport AWD I got. That stupid hump took a little bit getting used to... lol.

-Mike

Quick Reply: 2013 vs 2014. Which would you buy?