GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation and Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-17, 12:35 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

This is perhaps the quickest way to get acquainted with the different options/packages in the 4GS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

I would go with the lower mileage GS with AWD/NAV.
Old 10-23-17, 07:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm not a fan of black cars with black interiors, but this car does seem to be more of what you are looking for in features. Not to mention, AWD for your weather conditions and less miles are additional perks. Unfortunately AWD does sit significantly higher than RWD, but you could get it lowered with aftermarket parts. You can easily fit a spoiler on the trunk too...you have a choice between F-sport or regular GS spoiler.

It seems like you are a bit hesitant on it though, so I would wait until you find one that you really like rather than just settling and regretting.
Old 10-23-17, 09:46 PM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
A second set of wheels with Winter tires will cost about the same as the difference in a New RWD vs AWD.
A RWD with winter tires will Stop and Steer better than an AWD with all-seasons.

The phone based Nav Apps (Waze is the best!) will NOT display anything on the GS dash but will
speak through the Bluetooth connection to the car speakers if you go into the App settings and
enable "treat notifications as a phone call". Your radio will mute for both phone calls and Nav comments.
Be advised that Nav Apps such as Waze use a lot of battery, plan on keeping it plugged into the
12v socket with an adapter (not the USB jack which is only flowing 500 milliamps, ie. 1/2 an Amp)
Thanks, I really appreciate that. I happen to have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. So I don't have that setting for "treating the notifications as a phone call". So, it doesn't work. It's for the Iphone app only. So, it won's speak through it. Waze says I need to play the sound through the phone. Sucks.
Old 10-24-17, 04:22 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bb700092
This is perhaps the quickest way to get acquainted with the different options/packages in the 4GS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

I would go with the lower mileage GS with AWD/NAV.
That's awesome feedback. Okay, let me tell you what's happened. I appreciate this, as I offer the same advice when it comes to Cadillac STS/STS-V models, as I've owned (and still own a wrecked STS-V).

I drove the AWD today. I think the pictures loaded correctly. But, the drive is totally different. It may be the tires, but it drove "rough" in comparison to the non-AWD. And it's LOUD when ti comes to road noise as well. The steering is MUCH more still. Felt like a 50/50 split between front and back, when I was told it's about 55/45. From the OUTSIDE of the car, it seems to be a little higher off the ground than the non-AWD. So, felt like I was driving in a truck somewhat. Maybe I'm describing what you guys feel is "normal", but I'm not sure. With my STS4 and the STS-V Caddys, I can't tell the difference in the ride, steering, etc. Just when I'm crawling up my driveway in the snow, the V needs a running start. Not the STS4.

Cosmetically, the detail guy found a few touch-up paint needs on the AWD (it's a glossy black), but ALSO found a crack down the center of the windshield. It runs vertically down the center. It doesn't seem like anything has "hit" the windshield. Looks like it's "inside" the glass.... almost like it was a heat or cold conditions crack (if that makes sense). Hardly noticeable now. But I think it'll need to be addressed at some point, and I figure it's not like replacing the windshield in a Ford Escape. Probably gonna be a LOT of money. There are a couple of dings in the doors of the AWD (black) that they indicate they won't be able to get out.

I copied down both VIN numbers for those of you that can help me further a definitive answer that I'll need to give in about 13 hours from now. My car's VIN: JTHBE1BL2D5018353. The AWD's VIN: JTHCE1BL1D5007591. Not sure what you can tell between these but I'm open to help on how to make the best decision. This is a decision that I wish I had more time to research for. So thanks to those who're trying to help me make sense of this deal. Just don't know Lexus, and under the time crunch (and I still have to work as well. LOL).​​​​​
  1. White Diamond GS350 (current car - JTHBE1BL2D5018353)
    • PROS:
      • Black/Tan European feel interior
      • smooth handling, sport feel
      • trunk lip spoiler
      • It came with security tint (all windows).
      • If I stay with this car, they will take another $3500 of price, making payment go down $20/month.
    • CONS:
      • No NAV
      • Has 75K miles on it.
      • No AWD (I live in Indianapolis. Had AWD since 2003. I really don't trust the "Snow" mode with the RWD... but I'm not familiar either, as I've read a LOT on it, and the reviews are TOTALLY mixed. They say it's just as good as AWD, but I promise you, it won't crawl up the driveway like AWD because only back wheels are pushing.
      • No way to mirror my smartphone to the car because it doesn't have Mirrorlink like smartphones use. And I can't find an APP that will allow it to hook up. That would be a PLUS for keeping this sleek vehicle.
      • I travel a LOT, so the other creature comforts like my STS4 and STS-V have... are gone other than heated seats. But even with that, the Caddys both have ALL SEATS heated and cooled.
      • That DARN XM Radio. How in the WORLD can you search for particular genres? I want JAZZ... but can't just tell it that. Or, comedy, news, or anything else. Most vehicles let you choose to search by style, etc. If there's a way, I can't find it. If I want NEWS, I should be able to search for NEWS like every other car with SAT that I've owned (4).
  2. Black GS 350 (proposed car by dealership for their mistake = JTHCE1BL1D5007591).
    • PROS:
      • NAV
      • Heated/Cooled front seats
      • Heated steering wheel
      • Lane Assist
      • Navigation on board (yup that screen is MUCH bigger. 12" is better than 8" in almost everything)
      • AWD
      • Has only 36K miles versus 75K on my white one
    • CONS
      • Interior not attractive - Black on Black.... wish it was like the white car.
      • few small door dings possibly from hail, etc. Dealer will NOT remove them, but will touch up paint on the scratches.
      • No trunk lip spoiler.. takes away from that "look" I'm after that the WHITE one already has. Lexus says I can purchase it primed for $265.00. Then will need painted and fitted
      • Drives ROUGH... Like I can hear the road LOUD when I'm driving. White one's more quiet. Is it because AWD? My Caddy's don't seem different with this respect. Maybe needs tires?
      • "Seems" to sit a little higher than my white car. Is it because the NAV dash comes up more? Is it because AWD raises car in front some?
      • "Seems" to have a vertical heat crack down the middle of the windshield. Detail guy found it.
I'll need to pull the trigger by 12 noon today, one way or another. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Pastor D.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 10-24-17 at 04:39 AM. Reason: VIN
Old 10-24-17, 06:12 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Chiadon
Whoever says RWD with snow tires is as good as AWD hasn't driven a good AWD. I live in Indiana as well and know first hand that I having a Subaru that the AWD is simply amazing in the snow. That's why I went with the AWD in the GS as well.
I would suggest you take this dealer to court if need to return the car if you have documentation for the NAV and AWD
I have it. The other ones waiting. Please weigh in on my pros and cons. I pull the trigger at 12 noon EST.
Old 10-24-17, 06:25 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
Do you have any pictures of the 2013 they are proposing? That would help us to help you.
just posted them wth the others. Mine is white. Their proposal is BLACK.
Old 10-24-17, 06:33 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 286 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
That's awesome feedback. Okay, let me tell you what's happened. I appreciate this, as I offer the same advice when it comes to Cadillac STS/STS-V models, as I've owned (and still own a wrecked STS-V).

I drove the AWD today. I think the pictures loaded correctly. But, the drive is totally different. It may be the tires, but it drove "rough" in comparison to the non-AWD. And it's LOUD when ti comes to road noise as well. The steering is MUCH more still. Felt like a 50/50 split between front and back, when I was told it's about 55/45. From the OUTSIDE of the car, it seems to be a little higher off the ground than the non-AWD. So, felt like I was driving in a truck somewhat. Maybe I'm describing what you guys feel is "normal", but I'm not sure. With my STS4 and the STS-V Caddys, I can't tell the difference in the ride, steering, etc. Just when I'm crawling up my driveway in the snow, the V needs a running start. Not the STS4.

Cosmetically, the detail guy found a few touch-up paint needs on the AWD (it's a glossy black), but ALSO found a crack down the center of the windshield. It runs vertically down the center. It doesn't seem like anything has "hit" the windshield. Looks like it's "inside" the glass.... almost like it was a heat or cold conditions crack (if that makes sense). Hardly noticeable now. But I think it'll need to be addressed at some point, and I figure it's not like replacing the windshield in a Ford Escape. Probably gonna be a LOT of money. There are a couple of dings in the doors of the AWD (black) that they indicate they won't be able to get out.

I copied down both VIN numbers for those of you that can help me further a definitive answer that I'll need to give in about 13 hours from now. My car's VIN: JTHBE1BL2D5018353. The AWD's VIN: JTHCE1BL1D5007591. Not sure what you can tell between these but I'm open to help on how to make the best decision. This is a decision that I wish I had more time to research for. So thanks to those who're trying to help me make sense of this deal. Just don't know Lexus, and under the time crunch (and I still have to work as well. LOL).​​​​​
  1. White Diamond GS350 (current car - JTHBE1BL2D5018353)
    • PROS:
      • Black/Tan European feel interior
      • smooth handling, sport feel
      • trunk lip spoiler
      • It came with security tint (all windows).
      • If I stay with this car, they will take another $3500 of price, making payment go down $20/month.
    • CONS:
      • No NAV
      • Has 75K miles on it.
      • No AWD (I live in Indianapolis. Had AWD since 2003. I really don't trust the "Snow" mode with the RWD... but I'm not familiar either, as I've read a LOT on it, and the reviews are TOTALLY mixed. They say it's just as good as AWD, but I promise you, it won't crawl up the driveway like AWD because only back wheels are pushing.
      • No way to mirror my smartphone to the car because it doesn't have Mirrorlink like smartphones use. And I can't find an APP that will allow it to hook up. That would be a PLUS for keeping this sleek vehicle.
      • I travel a LOT, so the other creature comforts like my STS4 and STS-V have... are gone other than heated seats. But even with that, the Caddys both have ALL SEATS heated and cooled.
      • That DARN XM Radio. How in the WORLD can you search for particular genres? I want JAZZ... but can't just tell it that. Or, comedy, news, or anything else. Most vehicles let you choose to search by style, etc. If there's a way, I can't find it. If I want NEWS, I should be able to search for NEWS like every other car with SAT that I've owned (4).
  2. Black GS 350 (proposed car by dealership for their mistake = JTHCE1BL1D5007591).
    • PROS:
      • NAV
      • Heated/Cooled front seats
      • Heated steering wheel
      • Lane Assist
      • Navigation on board (yup that screen is MUCH bigger. 12" is better than 8" in almost everything)
      • AWD
      • Has only 36K miles versus 75K on my white one
    • CONS
      • few small door dings possibly from hail, etc. Dealer will NOT remove them, but will touch up paint on the scratches.
      • No trunk lip spoiler.. takes away from that "look" I'm after that the WHITE one already has. Lexus says I can purchase it primed for $265.00. Then will need painted and fitted
      • Drives ROUGH... Like I can hear the road LOUD when I'm driving. White one's more quiet. Is it because AWD? My Caddy's don't seem different with this respect. Maybe needs tires?
      • "Seems" to sit a little higher than my white car. Is it because the NAV dash comes up more? Is it because AWD raises car in front some?
      • "Seems" to have a vertical heat crack down the middle of the windshield. Detail guy found it.
I'll need to pull the trigger by 12 noon today, one way or another. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Pastor D.
Not sure if you've been reading the replies to your posts.

The awd does sit higher.. 0.6" higher.

You cannot screen mirror in either vehicle. Lexus does not use any software that allows screen mirroring.

Given your preference for having navigation and awd, that's the car you should take. It also has half the miles. I'm not sure why you are even still considering the vehicle you were so sorely mislead by to begin with.

Once you have the awd you can add a spoiler and lower it to make it look like your current vehicle. If you want it in white, find someone to vinyl wrap the entire car in white.

Alternatively, research the car you plan to buy ahead of time instead of relying on a salesman at a shady lot or shop around. I get you were in a rush but that's not an excuse for making a 25k mistake.
Old 10-24-17, 07:41 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

If you found the AWD model to be louder it would most definitely be the tires. AWD vs RWD does not make a difference in noise, but tire brand and wear can make a huge difference.

For your information, the AWD split is 70% rear, 30% front, with the ability to go to 50/50 when needed.
Old 10-24-17, 07:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I see the black one also has the cold weather package. I'm seeing that it has the heated steering wheel, headlight washers, and BSM. Lots of additional features.

If you keep the white one and they take $3500 off the price, you should see more than $20 a month come off of your payment. I'd expect it to come down by $70 or so, depending on your financing rate.
Old 10-24-17, 09:12 AM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Before buying any vehicle (brand or model) the buyer should research that vehicle to learn all about the different versions (base, premium, luxury, F-Sport, AWD) and options (NAV, BSM, IPA, Heated steering wheel, Levinson Audio, Heads Up Display, etc., etc.) so he/she knows not only what features and options the vehicle has ... but also what [available] features and options it does not have.

The explanation the OP gave for buying this car not knowing anything about it except what the salesperson told him (options which he failed to confirm) is doltish.
Agree but everyone learns an expensive hard lesson every now and then. Sounds like the salesman just isn't informed on the GS and buyer didn't do research and taking the salesman's word on everything. The sales lot might not specialize in one type of vehicle either. At least they are working with him on getting something he wanted in the first place.

My count is for the AWD for your purpose based on weather and amenities you wanted in the first place.
Old 10-24-17, 10:19 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
Agree but everyone learns an expensive hard lesson every now and then. Sounds like the salesman just isn't informed on the GS and buyer didn't do research and taking the salesman's word on everything. The sales lot might not specialize in one type of vehicle either. At least they are working with him on getting something he wanted in the first place.

My count is for the AWD for your purpose based on weather and amenities you wanted in the first place.
I agree. I guess I was also a little hung up on the fact that the black one that has all of the umanity also has a crack in the windshield that's barely noticeable in the middle, and some scratches on the driver side with a couple of dance that I noticed that the dealer said that they could not remove. I'm on my way to the dealership now and I'll make a decision and let Everyone know how it turned out
Old 10-24-17, 01:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

• CONS
OP - Other than the AWD model sitting higher than a RWD model, I hope you realize that the AWD has a hump on the driver's side that some people find uncomfortable when driving. Also, the AWD has a tendency to emit a noticeable gear/driveshaft type mechanical noise that the RWD doesn't.

I've never seen a crack in a windshield that is only 'barely' noticeable. That's a new one for me...

If the car has [possible] hail damage only on the doors, then the roof, hood and trunk also had damage that was somehow dealt with if it's not noticeable now.

A black vehicle is extremely hard to keep looking nice in case you've never owned one...and any ding, dent or scratch stands out on the black finish like a flashing neon light.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you are happy with what you end up with...

Last edited by bclexus; 10-24-17 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-26-17, 07:20 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Thanks to those of you who weighed in publicly, as well as to my inbox privately. And for the basically one of you who had nothing but degrading things to say, thank YOU too. Every forum has to have balance. And that person is really fighting hard to balance all of the helpful comments with the string of negative insults.

Now, I chose the black car. And steps are underway to customization beginning this coming Monday at an Auto Spa. I'm not finding very many options for window spoilers and trunk wings though. I didn't want the stock one from Lexus if I can help it. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-17, 08:28 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

And for the basically one of you who had nothing but degrading things to say, thank YOU too. Every forum has to have balance. And that person is really fighting hard to balance all of the helpful comments with the string of negative insults.
I can only assume you're talking about my post here. The post itself had an undertone of disbelief, not negativity. It is all in how you take it though. That being said, what I gave you was hard and fast facts about life lessons. Luckily, you had a dealership that was extremely generous. Unlikely to find that type of accommodation anywhere else. I am glad you got it sorted out but let this be a lesson to you. Be it a pack of gum or a car or a house know what you are buying!

Rushed into a decision is not an excuse for lack of investigation.
Old 10-27-17, 05:20 AM
maiahsdad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
Agree but everyone learns an expensive hard lesson every now and then. Sounds like the salesman just isn't informed on the GS and buyer didn't do research and taking the salesman's word on everything.
Salesman was recommended by good friend. I caught Uber down there, with mandatory travel that eve. Went to check out Cad Escalade, Dodge SRT8 Hellcat, and used Genesis sports. All of these I studied before. None worked. No time to go BACK and investigate fully. But thanks.

Quick Reply: Navigation and Remote Start