GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Good bye Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 09:06 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

GS is the worst Lexus car when it comes to holding its value. I know it first hand. That was unnecessary coming down so harsh. We can all suggest and comment in a polite way. Gud luck with new ride.
Old 10-17-17, 05:04 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh you leased it? That is a killer lease then. I wouldn't touch an american product if it wasn't a lease.

Got pics of the interior?
Old 10-17-17, 07:32 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland as a company car and for the most part really liked it. Decent mileage for a 4x4 SUV, interior was pretty nice, features and gadgets were plentiful for a mid $40's vehicle. Definitely some value engineering in the plastics and trim used, but a very capable, comfortable SUV IMO. Definitely one of the best looking mid size SUV's available today. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 10-17-17, 08:07 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

We were a Jeep family for a bunch of years. Mostly YJs and TJs as the mid-90's were not good for the Grand Cherokee (ZJ) lineup. Admittedly, they've gotten better over the years. I haven't looked into the most recent models, but I can't say they look bad from the outside. I had the old-school boxy Cherokee (XJ) too - undisputed fav of the wife. We always thought the ZJ was the bubbly-version of an XJ. My wife loves her 2012 Jeep Liberty (which I detest personally).

Nobody [here] should fault you for trading in your Lexus. You did your time and are moving on. Natural cycle of events. Enjoy it. Share your experience. It's a board forum. Comparison notes would be super-beneficial in what you like(d) vs. what the Jeep does " for better or worse".

That said...I'd beat that puppy like a red-headed step child. Jeep had a weird era of pumping up their popularity with self-graded rating badges and such that don't mean much in the world of wheeling. Rubicon standards were pretty high up there for the Wrangler world and made out-of-the-box Jeeps pretty stout, if you were willing to cough up $50k. The ZJ however, always fell into the distinguished gentlemen feel, trepid about wheeling it off-road and the more naughty grocery-getter persona for housewives who wanted to crush parking lot curbs with the other Mall-crawlers.

So what was the draw? Lease right? Had to have been pretty luscious to pull you from a GS.

Sal
Old 10-17-17, 08:44 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The depretiation is nothing to do with the msrp or selling price. It is the demand of the market when you decided to sell the car. Black book, blue book, carmax and dealer decided the price of your trade in base on demand of the market and how much they can resell and still make profit. The residual on the lease often wrong because those number are prediction of manufactory of the vehical when the lease is up. For example: the gs residual is 30-34k after 3 year, but the trade in price at its best would be 28-29k because not alot of demand. On the otherhand, the toyota tacoma residual is 27-28k people might still beable to sell it to carmax for 30+.

Anyway, jeep is a good car to drive but reliable is in the question...
Old 10-17-17, 09:25 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Anyway, jeep is a good car to drive but reliable is in the question...
And yes...Jeep reliability is constantly on the bottom.
Old 10-17-17, 10:30 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
And yes...Jeep reliability is constantly on the bottom.
Fortunately, the original poster will have the privilege of a warranty over the period of his lease - and the privilege of giving the product back when it starts to fail. So long as it's not out of service too too much, he should be A-OK.

Enjoy your new ride, man. I can't tell - did you get the V8?
Old 10-17-17, 02:24 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Depreciation, by definition, is the value lost with respect to the price paid. Used car auctions probably use MSRP because they did not pay the purchase price. However, we individual buyers do not have any reason to calculate that inaccurate way.
No, not by definition. By definition it is based upon MSRP because published numbers have to be based upon a known value. An individual can calculate it however they want, but that is not a "definition".

The second issue is that people use the terms depreciation and resale value interchangeably. When you trade a car to a dealer they plan to sell it for a profit. Resale value is what it can be sold at retail for at that point in time, but few people realize that. You are esentially allowing the dealer a potion of the resale value to sell you car for you.

BTW, I have a few friends who have done very well on trading in their Grand Cherokees. I don't agree that they have poor "resale value" or whatever you want to call it.
Old 10-17-17, 04:46 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jjscsix
No, not by definition. By definition it is based upon MSRP because published numbers have to be based upon a known value. An individual can calculate it however they want, but that is not a "definition".

The second issue is that people use the terms depreciation and resale value interchangeably. When you trade a car to a dealer they plan to sell it for a profit. Resale value is what it can be sold at retail for at that point in time, but few people realize that. You are esentially allowing the dealer a potion of the resale value to sell you car for you.

BTW, I have a few friends who have done very well on trading in their Grand Cherokees. I don't agree that they have poor "resale value" or whatever you want to call it.
The price a buyer pays is his "known value". The value of a new vehicle is the price it is sold for, not its MSRP.

However, those who want to calculate depreciation using MSRP are free to do so (no need to argue with me first) and can keep on crying about high depreciation!

Last edited by bb700092; 10-17-17 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 05:10 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by neilattack
Because the GS has done a great job of holding its value, right?

Right they have not
Old 10-18-17, 05:29 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

At what point is anyone satisfied with the depreciation of their car? I’m certainly not by any standard. My 07’ Tundra by 2010-11 had gone from $42k to $22. Not sure how but Toyota (Lexus) easily tops my books in reliability and desire.

I think all of this is just another corporation-driven cycle to keep cars moving on the open markets and lease markets.
Old 10-18-17, 11:48 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

That's a hell of a shift, from the most reliable to one of the least reliable brands on the market.

Best of luck.

Then again if it gets really bad, with a lease, you can just throw it away.... I guess if you are into the lease thing, leasing a lexus is kind of stupid- it always made more sense to buy them, IMHO.

-Mike
Old 10-18-17, 11:53 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
dont mean to be a downer, american cars just dont hold their value like lexus. It is a nice car, there is not doubt about that
A lot of cars (unless exotics or rare) really don't hold their value well it all anyways. Cars are terrible depreciating assets in that sense.

That said- I never understood this concern or care about BS like "depreciation" or "resale value". I like high depreciation- it lets me get a barely used car at a much more affordable price. I let someone else take the initial huge depreciation hit, then I stop thinking about depreciation, lol. The GSs ****ty value retention helped me afford my 2015. I got a CPO GS 350 F-Sport with only 11K on the click with basically 20K+ off the original sticker, and it's not much different from the 17s sitting on the lots now. (sorry im not paying 20 grand for a glass cockpit, as cool as it is).

Because when I buy a vehicle... it will just about get driven into the ground, it has to be totaled or well-exceed 200K miles before I will even think about replacing it, at least if it's otherwise reliable vehicle. I extract the value out of the car, I don't want someone else doing it... otherwise the asset has not been fully used to its potential, IMO. I even had an argument with myself over only letting my Camry go at 260K.... when I know I could have hit 300....

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 10-18-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 12:00 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Man, I am really sorry I de-railed this thread so badly. This was not my intention.

Mods, do you want to clean this up??
Old 10-18-17, 12:18 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Lol seriously... Let the OP live. Jeep looks great but a lot of people are going to be leaving Lexus if they don't start stepping up their leasing game. I just got a quote for a fully loaded XC90 vs RX350 and it was $150 difference a month. XC90 won.... X5 was cheaper but like the RX350, they are all over the place.

Lexus is great with no issues and low maintenace but just boring to drive

Quick Reply: Good bye Lexus