GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Common Problems, Resale, Rare Luxury Package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 06:29 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 Common Problems, Resale, Rare Luxury Package?

Good morning!

sorry to bundle three seemingly unrelated questions but in short I’ve been eyeing. 2013/14 GS350 as my next purchase. I currently have a 04 RX330 and recently sold an IS250.

Maybe i I got very lucky but my 2004 RX (150k miles) is like a new car. Drives amazing, minimal wear on drivers seat. Paint still shines. Was in a front end deer accident so front headlights replaced (crystal clear lenses).

In short I feel the Lexus has held up quality and material wise better than any older Acura I’ve ever seen (having come from a long line of Acura’s).

Does a 2013 GS have any inherent common mechanical problems? I know a lot of other model threads have sticky “common problem” threads. Just today a thread mentions the weaker resale on a gs350, is it just a numbers game or are there problems with the car in general that has pushed down resale values?

Lastly, I’m ideally looking for a luxury and cold weather package and would love to have LKA and adaptive cruise. These features were on a new RX350 loaner I had and the cruise system was amazing.

Is this exceptionally rare? Out of about 200 cars within 100 miles of me in NY none had adaptive cruise. More surprisingly not a one had a wood wheel which I believe is the indicator for having the luxury package.
Old 10-17-17, 06:40 AM
Jeevz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No major problems to note, a few rattles here and there but overall solid cars.

Luxury packages are hard but not impossible to find and the wood wheel is the quickest way to spot one. Adaptive cruise with LKA or night vision will be almost impossible as they were very rare options in those years. You would have better luck finding them if you moved up to 2015 - 2016.
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (10-18-17)
Old 10-17-17, 07:07 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jeevz! That's kind of what I suspected about the LKA. That was cutting-edge in 2013 especially.
Unfortunately the 2015/16's are still a bit out my price range, but maybe I'll hold off another year. I'm in no immediate rush to replace!

Thanks for confirming the wood-wheel / lux package.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-17, 07:50 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same problem as you as I wanted all of these features.

The quickest way to tell it if has luxury package is the WHEELS not the steering wheel.
Base Model (split spoke wheels):

Luxury Package:

These wheels are specific to the luxury package.

I will tell you that when I was looking for the same features you were looking for there were 2 in the entire country. I am also from NY and was trying to work a deal on one in California as that was the nearest one to us with those features.

In the end, I dropped a few features and got a great, like-new car out of Vermont.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (10-20-17)
Old 10-17-17, 08:33 AM
samsausage
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I flew from Kansas City to Boston to pick up my 2014 Lux package. Couldn't find any in the KC area. Glad I did!
Old 10-17-17, 10:32 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, the night vision system is essentially useless. I never use it. LKA would be much better. (The two were mutually exclusive.)

Possibly someone with older eyes or who drives on slow rural roads could make better use of it, but I prefer my headlamps and my own two eyes.
Old 10-17-17, 12:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

The '13 is a very reliable car - minor issues here and there (i've experienced the following: sunroof/moonroof rattle/noise, leather seat needed to be refinished, out of round OEM wheels; AWD whining noise). All were addressed either by me, a local shop or at the Lexus dealership under warranty.

None of the issues i've faced thus far have left me stranded or were "major" in any way in my opinion.

A Lux Package is hard to find with the Heads Up Display and LKA. However, even more rare is an F-Sport with all the options you are looking for seen here: http://www.mcgrathlex.com/VehicleDet...-IL/3063742823
Old 10-18-17, 06:05 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have had no problems with the '14 GS w/Lux. No LKA or Night Vision. Options I most like about it:

Adaptive Suspension and Sport+ mode - almost exact to F-Sport.
18 Way seats
Power Trunk - Not a Lux Pkg item.
Adaptive Headlights
Blind Spot Monitoring with cross traffic
Ventilated seats

Lux pkg feature not necessarily needed:
Rear Seat controls - Cool to have but rarely have anyone in back seat and even if I do, people usually don't use them.
Rear window power sunshade
Old 10-18-17, 06:33 PM
Amri6018
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

friscochryslerjeepdodgeram.com has one with radar, eye monitoring system, and night vision but no LKA. This car has no parking sensors which is strange to have all these rare features but the sensors.
Old 10-18-17, 06:39 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
I had the same problem as you as I wanted all of these features.

The quickest way to tell it if has luxury package is the WHEELS not the steering wheel.
Base Model (split spoke wheels):

Luxury Package:

These wheels are specific to the luxury package.

I will tell you that when I was looking for the same features you were looking for there were 2 in the entire country. I am also from NY and was trying to work a deal on one in California as that was the nearest one to us with those features.

In the end, I dropped a few features and got a great, like-new car out of Vermont.
my '13 lux pkg came with the base wheels...which i prefer more anyways. not sure if it was changed by the previous owner or not.
love the wood over the f-sport aluminum.

Last edited by maveriCK..; 10-18-17 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 07:55 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting that the Lux pkg GS being sold there does not have parking sensors. I didn't think that was possible.
Old 10-19-17, 09:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The common problem with the luxury package is that they're not that common...
Old 10-19-17, 10:09 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Other easy ways to spot Lux package are the seat adjustments (lots more buttons) and the S+ on the mode button.
Old 12-07-17, 08:51 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I bought my 13 GS, it had to be a special order, for which I waited 4 months! The PCS/radar cruise was not available on the lot, or in the pipeline. I contacted Lexus HQ in California, and they confirmed that the only ones out there with that option were special orders. Today, most of this safety stuff that I paid $$$$ for is standard equipment - the PCS/radar cruise alone was a $3000 option, as I recall. I added everything else I wanted - no compromise. Five years later, I know I made the right choice...and I'm in no hurry to trade up. The car has been running like a charm, and all I've had to do is the scheduled maintenance.

Good luck finding the car you want. If money is tight, let someone else pay for the early years depreciation, and enjoy a safe and reliable car that's a joy to drive, albeit without the latest tech and new car smell. <g>
Old 12-07-17, 11:21 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I wanted a 2013+ 450h with luxury package for under $30k. For the 2 months I looked there literally was only maybe 10 cars in dealerships across the United States.

I had to compromise, had I been more patient maybe I would have found it, the hybrids are very rare.
I settled for a Liquid Platinum 2013 GS 450h with 64k miles, factory paint protection(a must 64k miles and the bumper is pristine), blind spot, cold weather package, and Mark Levinson.

The car was in excellent condition, looked like new inside and out. I paid 28k out the door in February. I paid in full so no fees or loan interest. I flew from Alexandria, Virginia to Atlanta Georgia to finalize the sale and pick the car up from a Toyota dealership. Then drove it back to Virginia.

I found a original bamboo steering wheel and bamboo rear vent garnish that I scored for a great price and installed. After selling the original leather wheel the upgrade cost was $300.
Recently bought the Bi-led adaptive headlights on eBay for a great deal, plan on installing it in the spring. Once I make the swap and sell the factory headlights the upgrade cost will be around $800.
Current bought the 2014+ side mirror and switch to find out if we can upgrade.

I wish I had dynamic cruise control and 18 way power adjustable semi-aniline front seats, Where there is a will there is a way and I enjoy doing the upgrades myself. I will probably will never have the dynamic cruise control, but may find an affordable flaxen 18 way adjustable seats.

The 2013 does not have:
Power Trunk
Power folding side mirrors
Auto heated/ventilated front seats

However if you look for a used one you can get a great deal on them.

Quick Reply: 2013 Common Problems, Resale, Rare Luxury Package?