GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking at upgrading to a 4GS, with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 06:41 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Looking at upgrading to a 4GS, with some questions

Hey all, I'm currently looking at upgrading from my 08 GS460 to either a 13 or 14 GS350, I understand that the 14 has the 8 speed transmission in RWD, I'm wondering if the 14 vs 13 RWD is any quicker or gets any better gas mileage. I've actually read in previous threads some members saying the 6 speed in the 13 was better? My 460 has the 8 speed and I've loved it, I can get 31 mpg on the highway which is good for a v8.
i also like the look of the f sport over the normal GS on the outside but I've noticed all the f sports I've seen have the aluminum trim over the wood, is this on all f sports? I don't mind the aluminum but I think I prefer the look of the wood.
also do all 14 models have power folding mirrors or was this an option? Where's the button located so I can look for it in my search, I like that option in my current GS.
And lastly if there is any reliability issues anyone has experienced or that I should look for I'd love to hear them, I've heard these are pretty bulletproof so far which they should be since they've been using this engine for so long.
I will be test driving a few soon as well as an ISF and LS460, although I'm leaning towards the GS simply because I can't afford a 13+ LS and the older ones are more dated vs the GS.
Old 10-31-17, 07:30 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

The RWD will be a little lighter and maybe feel quicker but the AWD is rear-wheel biased with a 70/30 split of power. I used to have a RWD GS430 and the main difference I can feel is the torque. The older GS's with the V8 had some excellent low-end torque. Personally, I think the thing you notice is better handling characteristics of the 4GS with slightly less low-end torque than your V8. Your 2008 is more a cruiser in its stock state whereas even a stock 4GS has got great handling and driving dynamics - amplified and tuned even more so with the F-sport variant.

The folding mirrors on the '14 is an option, so be sure to look for that option package (the package is the one labeled "Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and power-folding outside mirrors"). All F-Sports have the aluminum trim. There's also the Lux package GS which still adds the Sport/Sport+ suspension but gives you the upgraded wood, wood steering wheel, better/more adjustable seats, rear shades, rear climate controls. Folks have taken out the trim pieces of the F-Sport and wrapped them in carbon fiber for a different look entirely (similar to the GS-F).

The 4GS is a reliable car - most everyone on the forum will attest to that. There are the minor annoyances but they just that, minor (brake squeal, stock tire issues, rattles, worn rubber seals). A CPO car gets you one of the better pre-owned warranties on the market as well (although everyone seems to be catching up nowadays).

You are test driving some very different cars with the IS-F (raw power), 4GS (great balance) and LS460 (ultimate lux). Personally, I think out of all the cars you mentioned, your current GS460 will be most similar in overall characteristics to the LS460 you test drive. I remember when I test drove the 4GS it felt so "un-Lexus like" to me because I was used to the cushy suspension, smaller and comfort/touring wheels/ tires and hushed interior (if you want that, the ES and LS fit the bill). But to me, the GS is just right. Hope you join the 4GS family!
Old 11-01-17, 04:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The RWD will be a little lighter and maybe feel quicker but the AWD is rear-wheel biased with a 70/30 split of power. I used to have a RWD GS430 and the main difference I can feel is the torque. The older GS's with the V8 had some excellent low-end torque. Personally, I think the thing you notice is better handling characteristics of the 4GS with slightly less low-end torque than your V8. Your 2008 is more a cruiser in its stock state whereas even a stock 4GS has got great handling and driving dynamics - amplified and tuned even more so with the F-sport variant.

The folding mirrors on the '14 is an option, so be sure to look for that option package (the package is the one labeled "Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and power-folding outside mirrors"). All F-Sports have the aluminum trim. There's also the Lux package GS which still adds the Sport/Sport+ suspension but gives you the upgraded wood, wood steering wheel, better/more adjustable seats, rear shades, rear climate controls. Folks have taken out the trim pieces of the F-Sport and wrapped them in carbon fiber for a different look entirely (similar to the GS-F).

The 4GS is a reliable car - most everyone on the forum will attest to that. There are the minor annoyances but they just that, minor (brake squeal, stock tire issues, rattles, worn rubber seals). A CPO car gets you one of the better pre-owned warranties on the market as well (although everyone seems to be catching up nowadays).

You are test driving some very different cars with the IS-F (raw power), 4GS (great balance) and LS460 (ultimate lux). Personally, I think out of all the cars you mentioned, your current GS460 will be most similar in overall characteristics to the LS460 you test drive. I remember when I test drove the 4GS it felt so "un-Lexus like" to me because I was used to the cushy suspension, smaller and comfort/touring wheels/ tires and hushed interior (if you want that, the ES and LS fit the bill). But to me, the GS is just right. Hope you join the 4GS family!
What AJ said lol.

But seriously, everything he said was spot on. The Lux package is honestly the better buy given the amenities you get with it. But if driving dynamics are more important to you, the F-Sport package will fit the bill, especially those equipped with rear steering.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (11-01-17)
Old 11-02-17, 04:32 AM
Stewart350
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19

I also agree with him. I traded in my 08 Gs350 for 14 f sport. I love my car, but if i could do it again, I would buy the luxury model over the f sport. You simply get way more features for about the same price. You could always add a lip and change the wheels and a luxury package will look aggressive. My 08 had a much quieter interior than this one and got better gas mileage. I averaged 25 to 27 with it vs 19 to 20 with the 14. Granted, I may drive more spirited in this one lol....