GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 04:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasnasg
Hi to all from France.
thanks to you i've oundf the the answer of my clunking problem 6 months ago.
Lexus dealer here in France changed me the sunroof seal.
And it worked greatttt till.....
But guess what. After only 6 months it's back.
I bought a new seal and i have to say there is a huge difference between them in only 6 months.
The new one is like fluffy and the old one is all smooth.
Plus you can see a gap between seal and body frame like if the seal was retracted on it self.
i remember when we changed it 6 months ago i had the same reaction with the new seal and old seal.
The question is, how the seal can degrade that way in only 6 month?
I replaced mine over 2 years ago and no issues, not sure whats happening with your seal.
The following users liked this post:
Nasnasg (03-24-20)
Old 03-24-20, 07:18 AM
Nasnasg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I replaced mine over 2 years ago and no issues, not sure whats happening with your seal.
I used a ceramic product after the the cleaning of my Gs.
You apply it with a foam canon.
This is Alchemy7 Ceram'X
May be it cause the problem by making the seal dry.
By the way, i apllied Shin etsu on the deaf seal and it worked for 2 week then the clunking returned.
Thx
Old 03-24-20, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasnasg
Hi to all from France.
thanks to you i've oundf the the answer of my clunking problem 6 months ago.
Lexus dealer here in France changed me the sunroof seal.
And it worked greatttt till.....
But guess what. After only 6 months it's back.
I bought a new seal and i have to say there is a huge difference between them in only 6 months.
The new one is like fluffy and the old one is all smooth.
Plus you can see a gap between seal and body frame like if the seal was retracted on it self.
i remember when we changed it 6 months ago i had the same reaction with the new seal and old seal.
The question is, how the seal can degrade that way in only 6 month?
Where in France? I lived about an hour from Lyon for a time.
Old 03-24-20, 09:24 AM
Nasnasg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Where in France? I lived about an hour from Lyon for a time.
Lille in the North
JDR76 (03-24-20)
Old 03-28-20, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Is it really critical to get the drain hole centered in the back, the drain hole is not totally centered so far but the green dots are pretty even on each rear edge.
Old 03-28-20, 10:10 AM
Nasnasg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
Is it really critical to get the drain hole centered in the back, the drain hole is not totally centered so far but the green dots are pretty even on each rear edge.
Same for me too. I think its the way it must fit.
UDel (03-28-20)
Old 07-31-20, 09:23 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Bump for this thread. So i have purchased the new seal, taken my sunroof off, removed the old seal however im having difficulty installing the new seal. I cant get it on tight? No matter what i do, it just sits very loose. Is there some trick to getting it on tight?

Edit, got it!

Last edited by DiscoJango; 07-31-20 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 09:26 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
Bump for this thread. So i have purchased the new seal, taken my sunroof off, removed the old seal however im having difficulty installing the new seal. I cant get it on tight? No matter what i do, it just sits very loose. Is there some trick to getting it on tight?
you might find it helps to put it on while rotating it. What I mean is place the seal tilted on an angle and push it into the sunroof at an angle and then rotate it straight while pressing it in.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrplesh:
DiscoJango (07-31-20), rjm (08-01-20)
Old 07-31-20, 10:20 PM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrplesh
you might find it helps to put it on while rotating it. What I mean is place the seal tilted on an angle and push it into the sunroof at an angle and then rotate it straight while pressing it in.
Thats exactly what i was missing. I initially thought it literally just goes on, when in fact it requires a bit of a squeeze n turn maneuver to get it nice and tight!
rjm (08-01-20)
Old 07-31-20, 10:22 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Were you able to get it installed?
Old 08-01-20, 04:12 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mrplesh
Were you able to get it installed?
Yes, but after quite a bit of stuffing around. Initially i tried the method where you do not remove the sunroof, and instead tilt/slide it and feed the rubber seal. My sunroof kept closing and then opening when i tried this, it must be something that detects if something is blocking the sunroof mechanism? I then tried to remove the sunroof with a screw driver however the bolts were on too tight, luckily i had a drill small enough to fit in the space and undo all 4 bolts, which came off easily. I was afraid i would thread them like someone else did. I sprayed a good amount of silicon lubricant on the seal and then squeezed/rubbed it onto the sunroof. All up took me about an hour, however if i had to do it a 2nd time knowing the process, i could smash it out in around 15-20 minutes. Re-installing the sunroof and getting it aligned was a piece of cake as well!

Took the car for a good 15 minute drive over some bumpy roads that previously made it rattle like crazy and just...silence
rjm (08-01-20)
Old 08-16-20, 06:40 PM
mthorne76
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have found the source of the noise from my sunroof. The plastic mounting from the sunroof that slides within the aluminum track is the source of my clunking / rattling sound (shown in attached pictures). With the sunroof open I began banging on the glass to find the source of the sound. I was able to see the up and down movement of the plastic mounting within the aluminum track. When I held the glass tightly against the aluminum track and I banged on the glass, there was no sound. It makes sense that the sound seems to come from all around you / even the rear of the car as the sunroof is in the area between the inside and outside of the car - allowing the sound to travel around. I'm hoping that my replacement of the seal will cause the prevention of the vibrations between the body and the glass and then down to the track that the sunroof slides in.

Old 08-17-20, 03:59 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Only one way to find out, and its a relatively cheap and easy fix that you can easily do yourself. My local lexus dealership was closed on the weekend so i just ordered the part from toyota.
Old 03-10-21, 02:47 AM
Ktrav103
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xpandabl3
Yeah mine clunks regardless the sunroof being open or closed as well...I tried to move the sunroof in all direction either when its closed or open, it's rock solid.

Sorry for the trouble, but can I still trouble you to share what your dealership do to fix the noise? judging we all have 18' F-sport. Thanks.
I have a 19 with the same issue!!! What did you find with yours??
Old 03-21-21, 06:54 PM
Andrewka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danen1973
When the sunroof is open or tilted up I don't hear any rattling.
Thanks, I'll take it to the dealership and ask them to replace the seal.
I have a 2013 gs350 f sport, replacing this weather strip resolved the rattling. I'm just not sure how. All 4 screws that held the sunroof in Place were tight, I checked around the sunroof for any loose parts and didn't find any.

It was easier for me to take the sunroof off completely because putting the weather strip on with the sunroof still on the car did not give me a lot of room to work with.

Thanks for posting this resolution , that rattling was super annoying.

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!