GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 03:20 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts

Replaced my seal a few months back and the rattling went away. Yesterday drove over some rough road and I could hear it. The seal is only a band aid. We will see how long it lasts
Old 12-27-21, 08:20 AM
r4nd0
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Care to say why you're selling it?

That's a really low number of miles! Someone is going to get a GS that is barely broken-in.
There isn't room for it in the garage and it doesn't get used enough to justify letting it rot in the driveway. It's a fantastic car and yes still very much not yet broken in other than the crazy rattles from the sunroof. Just had the original Bridgestones replaced with Pilot AS4.

Old 01-10-22, 01:33 PM
CLuser
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The old seal was super easy to get off but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the new one on. Does the lower lip on the seal slip under the groove in the glass?

edit: figured it out, I was overthinking it. Can’t say I understand how it’s going on but it is

Last edited by CLuser; 01-10-22 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 10:39 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Just replaced the Sunroof seal today. Thanks to all the help here it took me 10 mins to take the old one off and put the new one on. Did not have to remove Sunroof or any screws at all. No readjustment either. Tight now and very, very quite. I did not have the Clunk but did have wind noise on the passenger side of the seal.

Noise all gone, cant hear nothing outside again. lol! Hate to rant, but this GS just ain't Lexus like, all my others. But I'm about to get it all right and upgraded to my liking, performance wise too.
How did you do it without removing screws?
Old 01-13-22, 05:19 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

A few guys said it could be done but I couldn’t. I took out the 2 front screws and put a towel so it didn’t damage my roof.
Old 01-25-22, 12:08 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to remove the screws.

Thank you to everyone on this thread! That rattle was driving me nuts! I purchased the Toyota part someone mentioned too. Great fix for $50. Lexus dealer here wanted $200 just to look at it!!
Old 01-25-22, 01:14 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Just remember it’s only a band aid
Old 02-09-22, 09:25 AM
BrotherBil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

I found this thread and wonder about how complicated a job adjusting the front screws is? And how does one know that the screws need to be adjusted. TIA.
Old 02-09-22, 12:55 PM
robm
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrotherBil
I found this thread and wonder about how complicated a job adjusting the front screws is? And how does one know that the screws need to be adjusted. TIA.
Just change the seal without removing the sunroof panel. That way you won't have to worry about adjusting anything. Follow the many posts above, especially the by swat1727 - excellent pictures/instructions.

Last edited by robm; 02-09-22 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-09-22, 04:20 PM
mtucci3
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BrotherBil
I completed the whole job in about 25 minutes. When you put the front screws back in, snug them lightly to where it’s just holding the glass in, shut the glass and adjust. It should hold to where you can finish tightening and reinstall the accordion vinyl pieces.
Old 02-09-22, 04:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
I just changed my seal today and like everyone said, no need to remove the screws. Below are some step by step pictures, hope it can help someone who is on the fence regarding which method to use.

Lift one side of the seal with a panel removing tool

Remove the other side, and pretty much you can just pull and the seal will come right out. Removing the old seal is super easy.

Then install the seal from the back. This is also easy. You just need to line the green dot to the corner and make sure the drain hole is in the back of the moonroof and not the front. Then just follow the seal and push to make sure it's tightly secured on the moonroof. Push it all the way around as far as you can.

Then you can close the moon roof Don't worry the seal is pretty flexible.

Now you can open the sunroof slightly.

Now you can install the front of the seal, Don't worry about the corner you can fix that in a little bit.

I used the dash be moving to to slowly fix the corners.

All done took about 20 minutes!
How I did it. Took me only 7 mins to take off and put on new compete.
The following 2 users liked this post by jgscott:
Bocvos (08-05-23), mtucci3 (02-09-22)
Old 07-30-22, 08:55 PM
Jrodd74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This thread was super useful and helped me replace the weatherstrip on my sunroof today - clunking is gone! However, I ran into an issue with one screw. The head is not stripped, as I can spin it with the driver just fine, BUT the screw won't tighten down or come back out - it just spins and spins. I'm borrowing a picture from an earlier post to show the screw in question. Anyone know what the issue might be and how I might go about fixing this? I'm not very handy and haven't really experienced this before. Did I mess up the bracket that the screw goes into? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-22, 11:21 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Sounds like the threads are stripped. Hopefully it’s just the screw. You can try to wedge a screw driver behind the head of the screw so it’s putting outward pressure then try to screw it out
Old 07-31-22, 05:47 PM
Jrodd74
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexo98
Sounds like the threads are stripped. Hopefully it’s just the screw. You can try to wedge a screw driver behind the head of the screw so it’s putting outward pressure then try to screw it out
Unfortunately, it looks like the screw hole is tapped Any suggestions on a way to fix this without actually having the replace the part? (I think the replacement part is $400-500, and I'm guessing I would have to drop the headliner...)
Old 07-31-22, 07:01 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Given the location and I don’t remember it being something that requires a lot of torque I would probably fill it with a putty or resin and thread the screw back in.

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!