GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 02:03 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I think my 2018 may be developing this at just under 6k miles. Don't have any issues with wind noise but all of a sudden yesterday I began hearing what I'd describe as a shudder type of rattling vs a buzzing type of rattling coming from up above somewhere. Does that sound consistent with what you guys have been experiencing?

Haven't driven the car yet today but will shortly. If it keeps it up, it's going straight to the dealer. I refuse to put up with this type of noise in such a new vehicle. Considering there are 2013s that first had this issue, it's disappointing that a 2018 model year vehicle still has this issue. Being a Lexus, this should've been fixed by now on the production line. Bummer.
Old 05-27-18, 04:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I think my 2018 may be developing this at just under 6k miles. Don't have any issues with wind noise but all of a sudden yesterday I began hearing what I'd describe as a shudder type of rattling vs a buzzing type of rattling coming from up above somewhere. Does that sound consistent with what you guys have been experiencing?

Haven't driven the car yet today but will shortly. If it keeps it up, it's going straight to the dealer. I refuse to put up with this type of noise in such a new vehicle. Considering there are 2013s that first had this issue, it's disappointing that a 2018 model year vehicle still has this issue. Being a Lexus, this should've been fixed by now on the production line. Bummer.
That doesn't sound consistent with this issue, at least with what I was experiencing. The noise I had was a thud over road undulations accompanied with the wind noise. I found I could recreate the noise by moving the sunroof side to side with my hand.
Old 07-02-18, 09:38 AM
FYOUNES
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the tips. i ordered mine - looking to change it shortly
Old 07-22-18, 01:24 PM
signdetres
Racer

Update: The moonroof rattle that my car developed got worse since my initial posting. It got to the point that going 10mph in a parking garage would cause it to occur whereas prior it took higher speeds on a much bumpier/rougher surface. Took it to the dealership on the 17th and will be picking it up tomorrow (the 23rd). Apparently the cause was either a loose hex bolt or a loose rivet (can't recall exactly what was said and don't have the paperwork yet) and it required dropping the headliner to access. Yikes. But apparently it is good to go and they were able to find the source and fix it. We shall see.

Kind of disappointing but if this is the only issue I have with the car during it's lease, as long as the repair is good as new, I'd be impressed. Time will tell.
Old 07-26-18, 09:40 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
That doesn't sound consistent with this issue, at least with what I was experiencing. The noise I had was a thud over road undulations accompanied with the wind noise. I found I could recreate the noise by moving the sunroof side to side with my hand.
Just to confirm, those of you who were able to fix this with the gasket also had the rattle/clunk sound when the sunroof was up, open, or closed?

I have the same exact issue with my 14 IS. It's even worse when the sunroof is cracked open than closed. Which makes it difficult for me to wrap my head around how replacing that gasket is going to fix it. I also can replicate the sound by shifting the glass portion side to side.

Sounds like you guys have found a fix here for something that's been driving me nuts the last month or so. Glad I found this before I started disassembling
Old 07-27-18, 03:43 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Just to confirm, those of you who were able to fix this with the gasket also had the rattle/clunk sound when the sunroof was up, open, or closed?

I have the same exact issue with my 14 IS. It's even worse when the sunroof is cracked open than closed. Which makes it difficult for me to wrap my head around how replacing that gasket is going to fix it. I also can replicate the sound by shifting the glass portion side to side.

Sounds like you guys have found a fix here for something that's been driving me nuts the last month or so. Glad I found this before I started disassembling
It only clunked when it was closed for me.
Old 07-27-18, 06:20 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by yardie876
It only clunked when it was closed for me.
Did you fix with the seal? I searched thread with your name but didnt find if you had resolved.
Old 07-27-18, 06:59 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Ah found it, must of read the whole thread and missed yours.

After inspecting this morning with the seal in mind...it looked like a less severe case could be fixed with lubricant. Previous owner of my car had only one issue, and this was it. I imagine lexus just greased it up for a temporary fix, but still allowing the seal to worsen over time.

I'll be ordering this part! Probably the same PN for my IS but I'll confirm. Great thread very helpful.
Old 07-31-18, 08:45 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I might just be a little bit dumber than you guys but I had a terrible time with the T25 screws. One stripped very easily and was a pain to get out. Getting the seal back on wasn't any picnic either. I'm pretty good with wrenching on cars too, strange....
Old 07-31-18, 09:06 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Well, I might just be a little bit dumber than you guys but I had a terrible time with the T25 screws. One stripped very easily and was a pain to get out. Getting the seal back on wasn't any picnic either. I'm pretty good with wrenching on cars too, strange....
I tried loosening the first screw and it just wasn't budging so I tilted the sunroof and removed the seal and relaxed it with the new one. Took a little elbow grease to get the corners to sit right but it beat having to remove the glass.
Old 07-31-18, 09:07 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Ah found it, must of read the whole thread and missed yours.

After inspecting this morning with the seal in mind...it looked like a less severe case could be fixed with lubricant. Previous owner of my car had only one issue, and this was it. I imagine lexus just greased it up for a temporary fix, but still allowing the seal to worsen over time.

I'll be ordering this part! Probably the same PN for my IS but I'll confirm. Great thread very helpful.
Hopefully it fixes your problem also. My seal didn't look too worn. It wasn't until the new one came in that upon touching it I realized how hard the old one was.
Old 08-17-18, 08:45 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm starting to experience the same thing as you on my 18 with 4500 miles. I only notice it at slow speeds on bumpy roads. Whatever it may be, I sure don't want the dealer to have to take out the headliner to fix it.
Old 08-17-18, 09:36 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

drive with the sunfroof fully open and see if the same type of bumps or situations no longer create noise and you will then know its the seal causing the clunking or rattling.
Old 08-17-18, 11:15 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by charley95
I'm starting to experience the same thing as you on my 18 with 4500 miles. I only notice it at slow speeds on bumpy roads. Whatever it may be, I sure don't want the dealer to have to take out the headliner to fix it.
Mine just went back for a second time because it came back less than two weeks after the first repair. Both times involved about ~5ish days at the dealer and to remove the headliner. The second time they seemed to do a rushed job putting it back together and scratched my cupholder lid in the process. Not a fun experience but so far it seems solid and am hoping whatever they did this time fixes it permanently.
Old 08-18-18, 06:05 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

Had it open too and it still rattled. I'll try to resolve it myself if possible before I take it to dealer.

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!