GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 09:08 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad to report that the new seal does make a difference!
That rattle clunk is no more!
Old 12-11-18, 03:15 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine also clunks maybe less noticeably than others with some wind noise when the screen is open so thinking of doing this. Would like to try it without removing the screws as some have done.

Since most here report that the clunk is not there with the moonroof cracked or open the noise must be the seal shifting enought to rattle but wouldn't that be enough movement to leak? Mine does clunk but I haven't noticed a leak. That leads me to another question, with the moonroof open I was inspecting everything with changing the seal in mind and there seems to be a gutter within the roof so maybe leaks get caught and drained out. If that is the case does anyone know where it drains to?
Old 12-11-18, 11:34 PM
A3OD
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I dropped mine off at the dealership to get it looked at and fixed since it's still L/Certified. Hope to have it back soon!
Old 02-11-19, 11:23 AM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any idea what the TSB# is? I have brought this up at the dealership twice and the first time they lubed the seal, the second they "couldn't hear the rattle".
Old 02-11-19, 11:36 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My dealership pretended there was no problem. For $37 and about 10 minutes of your time, with no tools, you can solve the problem yourself. It's worth it just to spare yourself the aggravation, IMO.
Old 04-09-19, 05:23 AM
xpandabl3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
That would be great. I'd like to know.
Just curious, did you ever get yours sorted out? My 18' that I bought new last August new also started to develop the exact same clunk. For mine, the clunk started out very faint, and now it is quite loud but it usually only happens whenever car goes over an uneven bump or turning into the curb side ramp at low speed. It happens either opened or closed, and sounds like its coming from driver side B/C-pillar. My car only has about 3300km right now.
Old 04-09-19, 12:14 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I haven't looked at it yet. I just happens every so often. Mine is pretty much the same symptoms as yours more so on the right side at low speeds. It sounds like something is loose, and if I find the problem I'll be sure to post.
Old 04-15-19, 03:01 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xpandabl3
Just curious, did you ever get yours sorted out? My 18' that I bought new last August new also started to develop the exact same clunk. For mine, the clunk started out very faint, and now it is quite loud but it usually only happens whenever car goes over an uneven bump or turning into the curb side ramp at low speed. It happens either opened or closed, and sounds like its coming from driver side B/C-pillar. My car only has about 3300km right now.
This sounds just like me. Especially going over uneven bumps it would clunk. Just do the open sunroof test to see if the clunking goes away. If it goes away over the same bumps that you usually have the clunk noise, then this new seal will definitely fix the issue. Not sure why they wouldn't be using the newer seals on the 18 models but perhaps they're still using the old stuff.
Old 04-15-19, 04:46 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Mine clunks the same with the roof open or closed.
Old 04-16-19, 02:14 AM
xpandabl3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah mine clunks regardless the sunroof being open or closed as well...I tried to move the sunroof in all direction either when its closed or open, it's rock solid.

Originally Posted by signdetres
So far so good. Whatever they did during the second repair did the trick. Let me find my paperwork and see what they did.
Sorry for the trouble, but can I still trouble you to share what your dealership do to fix the noise? judging we all have 18' F-sport. Thanks.
Old 04-16-19, 06:13 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a used 2013 GS350 F Sport with 60k on it a few weeks ago. I noticed very quickly that I also have the clunk. Bought the gasket from the link in this thread, it should arrive this week, I hope that fixes it. So the steps to do it with out removing anything are:

1. Tilt up sunroof
2. Remove old gasket
3. Install new gasket on tilted up/rear portion?
4. Slightly retract sunroof glass, install gasket on front?

Are those the correct steps with out having to unscrew or remove anything?
Old 04-16-19, 06:15 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
I bought a used 2013 GS350 F Sport with 60k on it a few weeks ago. I noticed very quickly that I also have the clunk. Bought the gasket from the link in this thread, it should arrive this week, I hope that fixes it. So the steps to do it with out removing anything are:

1. Tilt up sunroof
2. Remove old gasket

That's it. I applied a squirt of silicone spray to the new gasket to make it easier to slip into place. Should take about 10 minutes.
Old 04-16-19, 06:42 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypebeast

1. Tilt up sunroof
2. Remove old gasket

I took the sunroof glass out of the car, just 4 screws hold it in place. It was much easier to replace the gasket with the sunroof glass out of the car.
The following users liked this post:
Hypebeast (04-16-19)
Old 05-02-19, 10:51 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I've got the gasket to replace mine. I looked it over and I don't see the indention people mentioned earlier. Mine has some green spots inside and there is a small oblong hole on the outside and then an inch or two away from this hole is a very small raised bar. Nobody else mentioned these so wondering where this should go.
Old 05-04-19, 10:21 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
I've got the gasket to replace mine. I looked it over and I don't see the indention people mentioned earlier. Mine has some green spots inside and there is a small oblong hole on the outside and then an inch or two away from this hole is a very small raised bar. Nobody else mentioned these so wondering where this should go.
When I replaced my seal, I documented it here and mentioned the placement of the green spots.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-4.html

Quick Reply: Moonroof rattling / clunking? Here’s the fix!