GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

3 Issues - Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 11:23 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

So I thought this as well. So yesterday I made sure the air was on recirculate and took out the cabin filter, shook it out and put it back in correctly. That did not solve the issue unfortunately
Old 11-13-17, 12:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

You are not providing some essential information that will help determine what caused the problem.

Has your GS 350's AC system always reacted like you describe since you first bought it? If not and it used to work correctly (differently), what took place just prior to when the AC system started reacting as you describe?

Have you ever pulled out or installed the cabin air filter prior to doing it yesterday?

Have you ever had the battery fail, or the car jump-started, or had the battery replaced?

Was your GS 350 bought from a Lexus dealership? If so, was it CPO?

Last edited by bclexus; 11-13-17 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 01:06 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
So I thought this as well. So yesterday I made sure the air was on recirculate and took out the cabin filter, shook it out and put it back in correctly. That did not solve the issue unfortunately
I had my temps default back to 75 after jump starting the car from a dead battery. This happened to me twice after having the car sit for a week without driving and couldn't start. After keeping the battery on a tender when I knew it would be sitting for a long period of time, it hasn't happened since. Mine is a 2013 as well. Is your battery the original one?
Old 11-13-17, 05:06 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
You are not providing some essential information that will help determine what caused the problem.

Has your GS 350's AC system always reacted like you describe since you first bought it? If not and it used to work correctly (differently), what took place just prior to when the AC system started reacting as you describe?

Have you ever pulled out or installed the cabin air filter prior to doing it yesterday?

Have you ever had the battery fail, or the car jump-started, or had the battery replaced?

Was your GS 350 bought from a Lexus dealership? If so, was it CPO?
Thanks for replying. i bought the car used just a couple weeks ago. It has acted this way the entire time I’ve had the car. It is not CPO and I don’t know if anyone took out or installed a new cabin filter.

Originally Posted by rog1206
I had my temps default back to 75 after jump starting the car from a dead battery. This happened to me twice after having the car sit for a week without driving and couldn't start. After keeping the battery on a tender when I knew it would be sitting for a long period of time, it hasn't happened since. Mine is a 2013 as well. Is your battery the original one?
i believe the battery to be the original one as the car only has 19k miles on it. Maybe I should have the battery tested.

Where is the battery in the GS? I haven’t looked very hard.

Another annoyance that that popped up today. How do I force the rear air conditioning to blow out of the center console air vents? I tried all the setttings I could from the front seat. I need to blow air on my dogs as I travel or they get too hot and get sick.

Anyone know now how to do this?

Thanks again all.

Last edited by OneFunGS; 11-13-17 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-13-17, 05:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Another annoyance that that popped up today. How do I force the rear air conditioning to blow out of the center console air vents? I tried all the setttings I could from the front seat. I need to blow air on my dogs as I travel or they get too hot and get sick.

Anyone know now how to do this?

Thanks again all.
Do you have an Owners Manual for your car?

See Page 355 of your 2013 GS 350 Owners Manual - Using the air conditioning system [with rear air conditioning system] - #19 Rear Air Conditioning Operation Screen - Symbol/Button
Old 11-13-17, 05:58 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Do you have an Owners Manual for your car?

See Page 355 of your 2013 GS 350 Owners Manual - Using the air conditioning system [with rear air conditioning system] - #19 Rear Air Conditioning Operation Screen - Symbol/Button
Yea thanks. Sometimes a car is so smart it’s downright not stupid. This is one of those times. Just need to get all this sorted before my trip to NC next week
Old 11-13-17, 06:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yea thanks. Sometimes a car is so smart it’s downright not stupid. This is one of those times. Just need to get all this sorted before my trip to NC next week
Where in NC are you going?
Old 11-13-17, 06:08 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Where in NC are you going?
Asheville area. 15 hour trip. Why do you ask?
Old 11-13-17, 06:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Asheville area. 15 hour trip. Why do you ask?
Ah, Asheville. Very nice area!

I have a mountain home off Reems Creek Road in Weaverville (just a few miles from the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway), which is a suburb of Asheville. Be sure to drop by Well-Bred Bakery & Cafe and also Blue Mountain Pizza & Brew Pub, both on Main Street in Weaverville, while in the area. You'll be very glad you did.

Enjoy the trip...

Last edited by bclexus; 11-13-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:34 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So the new problem still persists. I got in the car this morning, made sure the S Flow button was off, set the rear temp manually, set it to "face" mode and got no air. So then I got out, opened the rear door, closed it and there was still no air back there. 3 zone was enabled and the auto button was not used at the time.

Seriously frustrating.

Last edited by OneFunGS; 11-14-17 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 06:38 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So it looks like this might be my problem: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=174217
Old 11-14-17, 08:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So it looks like this might be my problem: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=174217
Could be...
Old 11-14-17, 08:28 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Color me frustrated
Old 11-14-17, 11:00 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Out of curiosity, what happens on a GS when you pull the battery? (or jump etc). Is there a list of things to reset somewhere?

-Mike
Old 11-14-17, 11:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drgrant
Out of curiosity, what happens on a GS when you pull the battery? (or jump etc). Is there a list of things to reset somewhere?

-Mike
All reputable battery replacement service centers will apply voltage in parallel with the car's battery so all electrically operated devices (e.g. clocks) and the car's electronics that have memory chips (that may not retain memory with a loss of voltage) will always remain powered-up. Most of today's memory chips do retain their memory with loss of power, unlike years ago. However...

To try to answer your question as best I can; I am unaware of anything, with the possible exception of the analog dash clock, that may need to be reset if power (voltage) is momentary lost. That said, it is my understanding that most vehicle's ECU is purposely designed to lose its memory after being powered-down for an extended period of time (say 30 minutes or more) so it will purposely automatically reset itself. To my knowledge most items like seat memory settings, AC control settings, radio, etc. would not lose their memory nowadays if power is briefly removed like when replacing a battery. However, it is always best to keep the car's electrical system powered-up when replacing the battery so there is no problem.

It should be noted that some vehicles are more prone to have issues with the engine's throttle body operation after the ECU resets from lack of voltage for a while, where the throttle body must be cleaned - otherwise the engine might not start, or if it does start the engine will likely idle and perform poorly compared to how it performed prior to voltage being removed.

Rarely will jump starting cause the types of issues mentioned above...unless the vehicle's battery was completely dead.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (11-14-17)

Quick Reply: 3 Issues - Need Some Help