GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Are there any lowering springs that ride like stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 03:51 PM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are there any lowering springs that ride like stock?

Specifically a 2015 GS350 awd f-sport.

I know Tanabe claims the vehicle rides like stock with the NF210, but I've spoken to a few different Tanabe owners and all have said they are harsher than stock. My dads 1996 Oldsmobile rides much softer than my GS and probably has the same wheel gap ... so I'm hoping there is a 1" drop that is a progressive spring design instead of a linear.

I called RSR and they said that the feel of the suspension will be as good or better than stock as far as ride quality goes, can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by gte; 11-15-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 05:07 PM
gte
Driver

[edit]

Swift springs will not work on the awd model.

Who has RSR regular down springs? How does the ride compare to stock?

Last edited by gte; 11-15-17 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 01:06 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300GTE
[edit]

I have RSR super downs and its still pretty damn close to stock. My friend drove my car one time and he even complimented the ride knowing I've dropped the car
The following users liked this post:
gte (11-16-17)
Old 11-17-17, 09:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 478 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by IS300GTE
Specifically a 2015 GS350 awd f-sport.

I know Tanabe claims the vehicle rides like stock with the NF210, but I've spoken to a few different Tanabe owners and all have said they are harsher than stock. My dads 1996 Oldsmobile rides much softer than my GS and probably has the same wheel gap ... so I'm hoping there is a 1" drop that is a progressive spring design instead of a linear.

I called RSR and they said that the feel of the suspension will be as good or better than stock as far as ride quality goes, can anyone confirm this?
I can't comment on the aftermarket springs for your GS, but I can say that ride comfort depends on not just spring rate & spring travel, but it also depends on the sprung to unsprung weight ratio of the car and wheel/tire combo, plus the damping rate.

The 1996 Oldsmobile probably has a much higher sprung/unsprung weight ratio because the Oldsmobile is much heavier, plus the Oldsmobile probably uses smaller 15" wheels with baggy tires, albeit probably narrower rims too, and probably much smaller ventilated brake rotors too, with only single piston calipers - for an overall much higher sprung/unsprung weight ratio than your GS350 F Sport.

The lighter the unsprung mass of the tires, wheels, brake rotors and calipers, the lower the momentum of impact thrown against the body of the motor vehicle at any given speed.
Meanwhile, the heavier the sprung body of the motor vehicle, the slower the frequency of vertical oscillation for greater comfort.
Hence, the higher the sprung to unsprung weight ratio, the better the ride comfort.

If the Oldsmobile and the F Sport had the same amount of spring travel, the spring rates may be different.
If the F Sport's spring rates were softer, then for the same amount of spring travel, the F Sport's springs will bottom out [reach the end of its suspension travel] sooner.

Furthermore, the Oldsmobile probably uses much softer dampers/shock absorbers for less body control, via a much lower frequency of vertical oscillation - which feels much more comfortable to ride in.
Firm dampers/shock absorbers like your F Sport have a high frequency of vertical oscillation for more body control, but this feels very uncomfortable and tiring.
Switching to Sport + Mode will give more high speed control, and feel more tiring again.

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-17-17 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 09:26 PM
gte
Driver

Although said partially in jest, it definitely has more side wall, but has steel wheels and the tires aren't exactly light weight, admittedly I do not know how they compare to the GS. It is also ~250 pounds lighter than my GS believe it or not. The rotors are certainly smaller, it may actually have drums in the rear.

It seems like 20 years later Lexus should have the technology to be a lot closer to the 1996 Oldsmobile than to a lowered 2600 pound car, while being able to handle well in sport mode ... maybe that's just wishful thinking though.

I think you are correct that the dampening rates and spring rates are the largest differences, along with sidewall height, certainly it doesn't handle like the GS, but again I expected better, especially with that wheel gap.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I can't comment on the aftermarket springs for your GS, but I can say that ride comfort depends on not just spring rate & spring travel, but it also depends on the sprung to unsprung weight ratio of the car and wheel/tire combo, plus the damping rate.

The 1996 Oldsmobile probably has a much higher sprung/unsprung weight ratio because the Oldsmobile is much heavier, plus the Oldsmobile probably uses smaller 15" wheels with baggy tires, albeit probably narrower rims too, and probably much smaller ventilated brake rotors too, with only single piston calipers - for an overall much higher sprung/unsprung weight ratio than your GS350 F Sport.

The lighter the unsprung mass of the tires, wheels, brake rotors and calipers, the lower the momentum of impact thrown against the body of the motor vehicle at any given speed.
Meanwhile, the heavier the sprung body of the motor vehicle, the slower the frequency of vertical oscillation for greater comfort.
Hence, the higher the sprung to unsprung weight ratio, the better the ride comfort.

If the Oldsmobile and the F Sport had the same amount of spring travel, the spring rates may be different.
If the F Sport's spring rates were softer, then for the same amount of spring travel, the F Sport's springs will bottom out [reach the end of its suspension travel] sooner.

Furthermore, the Oldsmobile probably uses much softer dampers/shock absorbers for less body control, via a much lower frequency of vertical oscillation - which feels much more comfortable to ride in.
Firm dampers/shock absorbers like your F Sport have a high frequency of vertical oscillation for more body control, but this feels very uncomfortable and tiring.
Switching to Sport + Mode will give more high speed control, and feel more tiring again.
Old 11-18-17, 09:05 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I’m ridin on swift bro and I love it! IMO, can’t even tell...contact Josh @ Meraki Motorsports...good dude...he’ll take good care of u!!! Best of luck!!
Old 01-09-20, 03:57 AM
Just4Me
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gte
[edit]

Wow. I wonder why.... from what i know. Non of the RWD springs are "suppose to fit" even Tanabe. But my AWD is wearing NF210 without any issues.. whats so different with Swift ???
Old 01-09-20, 04:42 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gte
[edit]

I know this post is from 2017 but you CAN get Swift springs for the AWD model now.