Another GS in the family - 2018 GS350 F-Sport in Atomic Silver/Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 11:37 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
"
I would have continued my love affair with that car but unfortunately it developed an issue with the brakes where the brake pedal would sink to the floor at random whether I was trying to stop the car or sometimes I was already stopped and the pedal would just sink and the car would start creeping forward and I'd have to pump the brakes to keep from hitting the person in front of me or going into the crosswalk/street. Sometimes I'd be going to slow down to turn and next thing you know, the pedal just sinks and I can't slow enough for the turn and have to do so at speed - at least that car handled decently. It was truly horrifying as I never knew when it was going to happen but it happened all the time. I felt so unsafe driving it and had it towed into the dealership at Infiniti's expense multiple times and even had multiple dealers attempt to fix it - even in partnership with Nissan engineers that they'd fly in but they were never able to even acknowledge the car had an issue. It was incredibly frustrating that they weren't taking it seriously. I asked multiple times what it was going to take? Would it take not being able to stop if a pedestrian jumps out and I kill them? Or I'm unable to stop and crash and I die? They truly made me feel like I was losing my mind. I had friends and family drive it to experience it for themselves so I could reassure myself it wasn't me. They were horrified, as was I.

"

WAHT. Have you called a lawyer? Nissan should have just replaced the car after this happened, that's a really extreme example of a lemon. I take the drive by wire in the lexus for granted; i have never had any issue anywhere near that level of horrible. The only downside i have seen in my car is the clearcoat is somewhat soft, if this is a car you plan on keeping you might want to look at PPF in the key areas. Oh and handwash only too.

Thanks for the long and detailed reply, I will have to test drive a 218 now! Also thanks for the information on the Infinti, this is the first time i have heard of this issue, but not the first issue I have heard with the Q50/Q60 cars. I'll make sure to avoid them in the future; sad as the tuners are going nuts with the car, but it sounds downright dangerous from what you said.
I didn't get a lawyer involved for a couple reasons... I've gone through the lemon law process with my 2014 Ford Fusion and luckily was persistent enough over the span of 4 months to get them to buy it back without having to resort to an attorney, but I did briefly speak to a couple and got an idea of what the process would look like. At the time with the Infiniti, I had an insane amount of projects going on at work that it really wasn't something I had the time or energy for because I knew it would be an insanely uphill battle.

The reason I was able to get Ford to buyback my Fusion is because the (multiple) issues were related to electronics throughout the vehicle which made it easy for me to record and document in a way that can't be disproven. These ranged from a faulty self parking system that did not work as designed nor advertised (but only in my specific unit, others worked fine), exterior rear view mirrors that would begin spinning around and around after washing the car, steering wheel controls + turn signal + windshield wiper stalks that would just stop working leaving me unable to use any of those features, stuff like that. With the Infiniti, there was no way for me to document it as it was the brake pedal. I could've filmed it but I didn't feel it would be strong enough to use as evidence as it would just take a simple "how do we know you're not doing that to the brake pedal with your foot?" since according to the Infiniti dealership, there were no faults with the car.

To be fair, I realize my issues with my Q50S were limited to my car. I only read one other case of the sinking brake pedal but I don't think it was anywhere near severe as mine, but yes, I've spent a fair share of time on Infiniti boards and those cars do have quite a few issues here and there, some more so related to early cars & some just with the Q50 model line itself (ironically, many of which related to the braking system).

And you're very welcome. I'm happy to help! I thought of a few more notable changes related to lighting. The puddle lamps in each one of the doors were updated to LEDs, the taillights are full-LED and the base Bi-LED headlamps are very very impressive as far as output goes. They don't have any cornering functions but I would say it's not necessary. The beam is very bright, very wide and light output is very consistently scattered across the road. Very bright headlights and they allow for awesome night visibility. I've taken it on a road trip from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in the middle of the night and paired with the auto-high beams, a truly fantastic system.

I don't know what the case is for the GS line but in the RX, the standard Bi-LED headlamps have actually been proven to put out significantly more light both forward as well as in width in comparison to the optional upgraded triple beam LEDs. However, in the new ES, the optional triple beams have been proven to actually be a worthy upgrade over the standard Bi-LEDs so I don't know where the GS stands with this. All I know is that the standard Bi-LEDs are a significant upgrade over the HIDs in the 2013-2015 models. I truthfully do not enjoy driving our 2015 GS at night for this reason. Could just be me but I struggle to see well at all with the HIDs in our 2015 and I've checked to make sure they're not pointed too low. It's the overall light output that seems low. I felt this was another upgrade worth mentioning.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-29-18 at 11:43 AM.