GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

SAFETY Concern: Intermittent Steering Problem '16 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 02:00 AM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the make and model of your Dashcam, Mask0425x?
Old 11-29-17, 08:32 AM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Has the problem happened at all with the LKA turned off? Like any electronic system, its not perfect, i'm sure there is a list of items in your owners manual that the system may be able to pick up and read. Maybe you need to have the camera readjusted if it is a LKA issue.
Old 12-18-17, 12:11 AM
mask0425x
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dchar, MythisOne and Allwheels, sorry, did not get any notifications for some reason re your posts... Just came here to post an update and saw your questions. Honestly, was not going to respond to bclexus' post... If someone does not understand a potential life and death matter, what's there to talk about??? Even if that someone lists family first under their interests. Yes, I fully expect Lexus to find and fix the problem one way or another. Whether thru replacing parts or thru further testing that they refused to do (i.e. tear the steering components apart and start testing each one for resistance, etc). Does anyone really believe that a multibillion dollar corporation would be better off if I or my wife crashed AFTER we made it known that there was an intermittent steering problem and their techs FAILED to diagnose it?

Now, I have driven about 600 miles on freeways with the steering assist and steering LKA off and dashcam moved to the side near the pillar - so far so good! Having said that, all the previous incidents happened during the heat waves and we have not had any truly hot days since then which may or may not be a factor.

As Dchar pointed out, there are two separate lane assist and lane departure warnings. The one the dealer and the FTS wanted turned off is the one accessed thru the menu by using the *four-way button* on the right side of the steering wheel. The Lane Departure Warning (accessed by pressing a *single button* below the four-way that shows a car drifting out of a lane) has been on. The main difference there I guess is that LKA is actually a steering control as opposed to LDW which is simply a warning feature that does not take over the driving.

My car is due for 10K service soon, so I'll be taking it back to a dealer and letting them have another go at it. Clearly, the temps will not be in the 90s, but other than that, they should have something to work with as those two settings are likely to be affecting the steering.

As far as the dashcam, mine is Falcon Zero F170HD+, I actually like it a lot although it's an older battery based (not a capacitor) model. Have had it for about a couple of years. The battery starts getting weaker and may lose date and time if I don't drive the car for about a week; but it has a 5 (FIVE) year mfg warranty which I think is just amazing. The manufacturer responded that they are aware of occasional RF interference with FM radio - known issue and typical for all dashcams - but not aware of any interference with vehicle systems. FWIW, I measured it's electromagnetic field emission at about 0.45 gauss which is very low. For comparison purposes, the Lexus camera emitted about 0.70 gauss. My dashcam has an aluminum body that serves as a heatsink but probably also reduces EM emissions.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (12-18-17)
Old 12-18-17, 01:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
If Lexus runs a diagnostic check on the vehicle and everything checks out okay, and they cannot replicate the problem with or without you - do you think it's realistic to expect them to just start replacing stuff?
Originally Posted by mask0425x
Dchar, MythisOne and Allwheels, sorry, did not get any notifications for some reason re your posts... Just came here to post an update and saw your questions. Honestly, was not going to respond to bclexus' post... If someone does not understand a potential life and death matter, what's there to talk about??? Even if that someone lists family first under their interests. Yes, I fully expect Lexus to find and fix the problem one way or another. Whether thru replacing parts or thru further testing that they refused to do (i.e. tear the steering components apart and start testing each one for resistance, etc). Does anyone really believe that a multibillion dollar corporation would be better off if I or my wife crashed AFTER we made it known that there was an intermittent steering problem and their techs FAILED to diagnose it?

Now, I have driven about 600 miles on freeways with the steering assist and steering LKA off and dashcam moved to the side near the pillar - so far so good! Having said that, all the previous incidents happened during the heat waves and we have not had any truly hot days since then which may or may not be a factor.

As Dchar pointed out, there are two separate lane assist and lane departure warnings. The one the dealer and the FTS wanted turned off is the one accessed thru the menu by using the *four-way button* on the right side of the steering wheel. The Lane Departure Warning (accessed by pressing a *single button* below the four-way that shows a car drifting out of a lane) has been on. The main difference there I guess is that LKA is actually a steering control as opposed to LDW which is simply a warning feature that does not take over the driving.

My car is due for 10K service soon, so I'll be taking it back to a dealer and letting them have another go at it. Clearly, the temps will not be in the 90s, but other than that, they should have something to work with as those two settings are likely to be affecting the steering.

As far as the dashcam, mine is Falcon Zero F170HD+, I actually like it a lot although it's an older battery based (not a capacitor) model. Have had it for about a couple of years. The battery starts getting weaker and may lose date and time if I don't drive the car for about a week; but it has a 5 (FIVE) year mfg warranty which I think is just amazing. The manufacturer responded that they are aware of occasional RF interference with FM radio - known issue and typical for all dashcams - but not aware of any interference with vehicle systems. FWIW, I measured it's electromagnetic field emission at about 0.45 gauss which is very low. For comparison purposes, the Lexus camera emitted about 0.70 gauss. My dashcam has an aluminum body that serves as a heatsink but probably also reduces EM emissions.
mask - I'll say it again - if Lexus runs yet another diagnostic check on your vehicle and everything still checks out okay, and they cannot replicate the problem with or without you - do not expect them to just start tearing into things helter-skelter and replace stuff to satisfy your whim. I hope you are not so naive to think they will do that! In order to try to appease and satisfy you they may spend a little bit of extra time and money doing some kind of additional testing, but don't count on that happening. That said, I truly hope that Lexus can find a problem ('if' of course there really is a problem) and fix it. However, you are being totally irrational if you think Lexus is going to fix something they cannot identify as a problem or duplicate in the first place.

Please report back on what takes place when you take the car back in again...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-18-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-19-17, 07:55 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

So this has only happened when it's hot outside? Have you told the technicians that piece of the story?
Old 12-19-17, 11:19 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I feel your frustration and your concern I also have a 2016 GS f-sport 12K miles but it doesn't exhibit this issue. As far is the dealers there all the same there not fixing anything until they can duplicate the issue and even then they probably couldn't tell what was wrong or tell you it's within spec bull**** that I've heard from Lexus and Infiniti Dealer. As far as the LKA I thought turning the steering wheel overrides the LKA?
Old 03-14-18, 06:51 PM
rothak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i kind of got the same problem too except i don’t have LKA. it doesn’t stay “asleep” it’s like a small delay in powering up the electronic steering assist or something. i don’t feel unsafe with it doing that however i do think it’s stupid.

I dont feel like i’m losing control of the car. it feels like the opposite of sport + kicking in and stiffening up the steering wheel at freeway speeds.
Old 06-06-18, 12:39 PM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Default steering issue

I am having a similar issue with my 2015 GS 350 that I purchased in December. Did you ever get your issue resolved? I am taking it back to the service department for the 3rd time.
Old 06-06-18, 01:08 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamalana
I am having a similar issue with my 2015 GS 350 that I purchased in December. Did you ever get your issue resolved? I am taking it back to the service department for the 3rd time.
Do you have LKA? Do you keep it enabled or disabled?
Old 06-06-18, 01:23 PM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

They disabled it. A service tech and the service manager both drove it and did not feel it. Tomorrow the service manager and another technician are driving it with me. We're going to drive it until they feel it!
Old 05-22-19, 06:09 AM
CelicaJerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Bamalana
They disabled it. A service tech and the service manager both drove it and did not feel it. Tomorrow the service manager and another technician are driving it with me. We're going to drive it until they feel it!
I have the same issue too. I have a 2015 GS350 Luxury, RWD, and no LKA on the car. I am the original owner, so it was not a CPO. Sounds like this is a soon to be common issue.

I have not taken it to the dealer yet... Is there a TSB on it?

Seems to occur on highways and at higher speeds for me (usually 75+). I thought it was something to do with the road the first time it happened, but it has repeated on the same road, but different areas. I had my tires re-balanced and rotated (Michelin's), so it isn't that.

When it does happen, its like the steering wheel locks, but with a slight pull, it unlocks and may not do it again. I'm the primary driver of the car, but I don't want my wife or kids driving it and have it happen. Let us know what your dealer says. I'm going to schedule an appt soon.
Old 05-22-19, 07:57 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You should take the car to another dealership and have them look at it. Insist they put more highway miles in the car to replicate the problem.
drgrant (05-23-19)
Old 05-22-19, 08:16 AM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

I don't know about a TSB. That is exactly what mine does and it has gotten worse over time.I don't understand why Lexus doesn't acknowledge this problem. The Birmingham dealership said they had not seen this problem before. Maybe your dealer will work with you. My son just got a job at a GMC dealership so I'll be trading soon. Good luck!
Old 05-22-19, 12:11 PM
mask0425x
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, here is my sort of update since I legally cannot disclose settlement details.

I spoke to a number of lemon law attorneys who all expressed absolutely HATING dealing with Toyota/Lexus saying that they are possibly the least reasonable when it comes to lemon law claims. I hired Robert Starr in Calabasas, CA.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-law-off...rr-los-angeles

I have since been contacted privately by some folks with same or similar problems. I'd advise them all to call Jessica Foust at Robert Starr's office to see if he takes your case(s). Try to join your forces dealing with this. Starr might be best for you since he has already put in a ton of time in my case. Warning: do NOT get your hopes up, Lexus does NOT care how much they spend on legal costs on defense without any regard for either your safety, your loyalty or their own bottom line. To give you a basic idea, I was deposed for seven (7!!!) hours straight by a partner in their defense law firm. I am guessing his rate is $400-500 an hour. Probably took him at least as long to prep for the depo and probably even longer to research and correspond before and after. His paper file for my claim was over 6-7 inches thick! Then add associates time, admin costs, supplies, etc. It'd be much cheaper for Lexus to *TRY* fixing my car or make me go away and get my fourth Lexus and umpteenth Toyota product. Now I'll be looking at Audi instead.

Keep me posted and good luck!
Im2bz2p345 (12-21-20)
Old 05-22-19, 01:49 PM
Bamalana
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thank you for sharing! I feel the same way - I'm done with Lexus. I'll discuss with my husband.. I think I'm just ready to trade. I would love to trade at the dealership that "can't" find anything wrong with it!! And let them handle to next customer that ends up with that problem! But my son now works at a GMC dealership and I will get the "family" discount by trading there. He is aware of the problem - has even tried to figure it out himself. Please let me know how your case goes. I hope you win!

May I ask what they questioned you on during that 7 hours? And how promising your case looks

Quick Reply: SAFETY Concern: Intermittent Steering Problem '16 GS