GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bleeding of brakes for Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 08:56 PM
Chlim1122
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bleeding of brakes for Hybrid

Did a BBk change at my regular workshop.
Used the conventional method of bleeding my brakes.

read online that software is needed to open the valves for proper bleeding.

What are the possible harm done?
is there any method where we can perform bleeding the old way?
thanks...
Old 11-22-17, 09:39 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I too have the hybrid. When I painted my calipers I did a rookie mistake, had the brake pads out, turned car on/off to turn wheel. Popped my rear pistons. I relieved the pressure in the bleeder valves and was able to reinstall the pistons. I bleed the brakes the conventional way, cleared the error codes, and everything works perfectly. No issues 7k miles later.

So if you have air at the end of the lines bleeding the rears the conventional way works, but if you need to do a full flush the only way to do this is with Techstream at the dealership.

Originally Posted by Chlim1122
Did a BBk change at my regular workshop.
Used the conventional method of bleeding my brakes.

read online that software is needed to open the valves for proper bleeding.

What are the possible harm done?
is there any method where we can perform bleeding the old way?
thanks...
Old 11-23-17, 05:23 AM
Chlim1122
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I too have the hybrid. When I painted my calipers I did a rookie mistake, had the brake pads out, turned car on/off to turn wheel. Popped my rear pistons. I relieved the pressure in the bleeder valves and was able to reinstall the pistons. I bleed the brakes the conventional way, cleared the error codes, and everything works perfectly. No issues 7k miles later.

So if you have air at the end of the lines bleeding the rears the conventional way works, but if you need to do a full flush the only way to do this is with Techstream at the dealership.
that's good. Am driving fine too.. But it seems that relays are removed, valves are opened, etc... Just feels kind of worried.

cos my rear BBK will be ready in about 2 weeks rime and i need to repeat the process again. Just wanna make sure no harm will be done.
Old 11-23-17, 08:33 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

There is no harm in doing it the conventional way, but it just means you aren't bleeding the old fluid out of the ABS system, which in some cases can cause a spongy pedal.

Even with Techstream, you will realize part of the procedure still uses the "conventional" method. The part that is different is when you are bleeding the increase/decrease line, which is where Techstream operates the valves within the ABS pump to bleed the fluid out of there.
Old 11-24-17, 07:40 PM
Chlim1122
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
There is no harm in doing it the conventional way, but it just means you aren't bleeding the old fluid out of the ABS system, which in some cases can cause a spongy pedal.

Even with Techstream, you will realize part of the procedure still uses the "conventional" method. The part that is different is when you are bleeding the increase/decrease line, which is where Techstream operates the valves within the ABS pump to bleed the fluid out of there.
Thanks for the great info.
feel much more at ease doing it the conventional way. Am ok not to flush out the abs fluid... 😊