GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Would 235 45 18 fit on a 7.5in wide rim? Rims with Noise reduction technology

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-17, 01:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default Would 235 45 18 fit on a 7.5in wide rim? Rims with Noise reduction technology

Would 235 45 18 fit on a 7.5in wide rim?

My stock rims are 18x8 with 235 45 18 tires all around

I'm contemplating getting a set of these 18 x 7.5 acura rims, offset is 40:
These wheels have Honda/Acura's noise reduction technology:
http://world.honda.com/tech/auto/noise-reducing-wheel/

The rims would fit with the proper hub centric ring.

What is the possible downside?

Part number: 08W18TX6200A

Last edited by peasodos; 11-24-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 04:26 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus also has noise reduction wheels. See the attached document. I really wanted to get them. However, the problem is, nobody seems to have a clue regarding how much noise it actually reduces in comparison to the other Lexus wheels. It might just be a marketing gimmick.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus rims.pdf (390.0 KB, 255 views)
Old 11-24-17, 04:31 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
Lexus also has noise reduction wheels. See the attached document. I really wanted to get them. However, the problem is, nobody seems to have a clue regarding how much noise it actually reduces in comparison to the other Lexus wheels. It might just be a marketing gimmick.
I'm aware of the Lexus noise Reduction wheels, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for noise reduction. I currently have 18" rims and the Lexus Noise reduction wheels are 19".
Also bought tires earlier this year and would like to keep them.

Also from the Acura forums those that changed there rims to aftermarket noticed the tire noise went up with the same tires so apparently the Honda/Acura noise reducing system works.
Old 11-24-17, 04:35 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I'm aware of the Lexus noise Reduction wheels, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality for noise reduction. I currently have 18" rims and the Lexus Noise reduction wheels are 19".
Also bought tires earlier this year and would like to keep them.

Also from the Acura forums those that changed there rims to aftermarket noticed the tire noise went up with the same tires so apparently the Honda/Acura noise reducing system works.
Do you know how much noise the Acura noise reduction wheels actually reduce in comparison to the other wheels? Is there any documented objective comparison by a third party?
Old 11-24-17, 05:09 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I can't find any third party information other than some posts on the Acura forums. At least Honda has more information about their system than lexus has on there hollow spokes.

There is also a charcoal gray/silver version of that rim. I'm leaning to all black since that was the look I wanted.

Another plus is the offset is 5mm lower so the wheel will be 5mm closer to the fender, help reduce the fender gap.
Old 11-24-17, 06:14 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Shouldn’t be an issue.. tire rack is okay with it.
The following users liked this post:
peasodos (11-24-17)
Old 11-24-17, 08:49 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Do you know how much noise the Acura noise reduction wheels actually reduce in comparison to the other wheels? Is there any documented objective comparison by a third party?
Here is a car on driver article that mentions this, they call it "Honda and the Chambers of Silence"
https://blog.caranddriver.com/tested...sh-road-noise/

They also came to the conclusion that acoustically isolated tires are useless like Continentals Conti silent technology.
Old 11-24-17, 09:27 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Here is a car on driver article that mentions this, they call it "Honda and the Chambers of Silence"
https://blog.caranddriver.com/tested...sh-road-noise/

They also came to the conclusion that acoustically isolated tires are useless like Continentals Conti silent technology.
Looks like they did a comparison with the tires for noise reduction but did not do any comparison for the rims. There are also a number of articles on Lexus' noise reduction rims (see the links below) but I could not find any comparison.

http://elevatingsound.com/how-the-no...-even-quieter/
http://elevatingsound.com/how-lexus-...passenger-car/
http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-reinve...e-flagship-ls/

I would love to reduce noise in my GS. I am willing to spend on a set of four new wheels only if it is worth it. Till now, I could find no proof that it will be worth it.
Old 11-24-17, 09:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I found the patents for Hondas noise reduction technology:
https://www.google.com/patents/US20100096909
https://www.google.com/patents/US20170120673
Old 11-24-17, 10:07 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

I found the patents for Hondas noise reduction technology:
https://www.google.com/patents/US20100096909
https://www.google.com/patents/US20170120673
Patents don't necessarily mean the technology works well enough. A patent simply protects an idea. There are numerous patents protecting ideas that are never used in technologies because of different reasons such as they are not good enough for their purpose, not cost-effective enough, etc. Note that, if a noise reduction wheel reduces noise by 1 dBA at 70 mph while a wheel well insulation reduces noise by 2 dBA at the same speed and the manufacturer saves $200 by using the insulation as compared to the noise reduction wheel, they might choose the insulation over the wheel because the former provides better value for the money and hence maximizes their profit. So the patented idea for the noise reduction wheel does not get a chance to be used.

The sale of any technology that works really well and is cost-effective increases very fast in the mass market. A really good product cannot stay hidden for long. In the automotive world, there are many examples of such products, such as Bluetooth, rearview camera, CVT, etc. However, a noise reduction wheel is not one of them. If these wheels did reduce noise substantially at not much extra cost, all auto manufacturers would be using them in all their products by now. But that has not been the case which speaks for itself. Lexus' noise reduction wheels are from 2013 or earlier, so at least four years old but have not caught up. Even Lexus does not use them in all its vehicles as the default option. That says enough.
Old 11-24-17, 10:18 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Patents don't necessarily mean the technology works well enough. A patent simply protects an idea. There are numerous patents protecting ideas that are never used in technologies because of different reasons such as they are not good enough for their purpose, not cost-effective enough, etc. Note that, if a noise reduction wheel reduces noise by 1 dBA at 70 mph while a wheel well insulation reduces noise by 2 dBA at the same speed and the manufacturer saves $200 by using the insulation as compared to the noise reduction wheel, they might choose the insulation over the wheel because the former provides better value for the money and hence maximizes their profit. So the patented idea for the noise reduction wheel does not get a chance to be used.

The sale of any technology that works really well and is cost-effective increases very fast in the mass market. A really good product cannot stay hidden for long. In the automotive world, there are many examples of such products, such as Bluetooth, rearview camera, CVT, etc. However, a noise reduction wheel is not one of them. If these wheels did reduce noise substantially at not much extra cost, all auto manufacturers would be using them in all their products by now. But that has not been the case which speaks for itself. Lexus' noise reduction wheels are from 2013 or earlier, so at least four years old but have not caught up. Even Lexus does not use them in all its vehicles as the default option. That says enough.

Please see the attached PDF it explains everything in great depth. I found it on a Honda Technical website.

The PDF is on the first generation noise reduction wheel. The 2016+ ILX wheels have the second generation device.

Lexus first introduced the hollow wheel for the 2013 LS, Honda started using their technology in 2011 and continues to do so across certain Acura models and apparently the 2018 Honda Accord.

www.motortrend.com/news/4-cool-2018-honda-accord-features/amp/

Both Lexus and Honda/Acura use a resonator to cancel the unwanted tire noise. Lexus builds it into the spokes and Honda attaches it to the center of the rim, both appear to serve the same function.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
noise_reduction_technology.pdf (828.7 KB, 1515 views)

Last edited by peasodos; 11-24-17 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 10:56 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Please see the attached PDF it explains everything in great depth. I found it on a Honda Technical website.

The PDF is on the first generation noise reduction wheel. The 2016+ ILX wheels have the second generation device.

Lexus first introduced the hollow wheel for the 2013 LS, Honda started using their technology in 2011 and continues to do so across certain Acura models and apparently the 2018 Honda Accord.

Both Lexus and Honda/Acura use a resonator to cancel the unwanted tire noise. Lexus builds it into the spokes and Honda attaches it to the center of the rim, both appear to serve the same function.
Your attached document states that the goal of the product is to reduce 10 dB noise. If the wheel can really do that, it is great. The wheel looks attractive. The 235 width tire should fit in a 7.5" wide rim. So if you happen to purchase these wheels, keep us updated on how well it works.
Old 11-24-17, 11:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Your attached document states that the goal of the product is to reduce 10 dB noise. If the wheel can really do that, it is great. The wheel looks attractive. The 235 width tire should fit in a 7.5" wide rim. So if you happen to purchase these wheels, keep us updated on how well it works.
I was looking for a noise reduction rim. First started with Lexus and found out Acura had it. I like that it's all gloss black, looks more attractive than stock, fits my Perelli cinturano p7 all season plus tires, is 5mm closer to the fender to reduce the gap, and has noise reduction technology. I got the Perelli earlier this year because it was the highest rated tire for comfort on tire rack in the all season grand touring category. That itself was quieter than the stock tires.

I don't know how acuratly I can record the difference but I will report back when I change the rims, probably early next year.

Last edited by peasodos; 11-25-17 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-29-17, 03:33 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus really has no info on this, but this is the 19" noise reduction Lexus rim.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/23816/aly74348-lexus-gs200t-gs350-gs450h-wheel-grey-machined-42611-30d80.html

Old 11-29-17, 10:34 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

Interesting thread. I had honestly never heard of this technology and you can add me to the list of people curious about how much real-word noise reduction this added resonator truly provides.

Btw, found this youtube video from the 2016 Acrua ILX:

"There is road noise and cabin noise, in an effort to decrease that noise Acura is using a polypropylene Helmholtz resonator that encircles the center portion of the inside of the wheel. Such resonator wheel technology significantly lowers middle frequency noise."

~ Im2bz2p345

Quick Reply: Would 235 45 18 fit on a 7.5in wide rim? Rims with Noise reduction technology