Search this Thread

Old 11-26-17, 02:37 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

thank you
yes i know
it was sold shortly thereafter
do it say anything in your warranty about maximum of years?
this is what lexus.com says but it is hard to interpret

WARRANTY

Lexus confidently stands behind these exceptional vehicles with the L/Certified Limited Warranty,* when combined with the new-vehicle Basic Warranty, can provide up to six years of vehicle warranty coverage. Mileage is unlimited. The L/Certified Limited Warranty offers many of the coverage benefits and privileges new-car buyers receive. To find out what is and isn't covered, see below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.
Old 11-26-17, 02:39 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Remember, CarFax won't tell you everything about the car that the dealer service report will on work performed at dealer only.
Old 11-26-17, 03:12 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

WARRANTY

Lexus confidently stands behind these exceptional vehicles with the L/Certified Limited Warranty,* when combined with the new-vehicle Basic Warranty, can provide up to six years of vehicle warranty coverage. Mileage is unlimited. The L/Certified Limited Warranty offers many of the coverage benefits and privileges new-car buyers receive. To find out what is and isn't covered, see below or visit your Lexus dealer for complete details.[/QUOTE]

can anyone interpret this?
Old 11-26-17, 03:28 PM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would just call the dealer and find out exactly what the warranty stipulations are. Ask them to email you their response so you have it in writing.

I just bought a 2014 CPO GS350 in June and the L Certified package also includes complimentary maintenance for the next two years or 20k miles.
Old 11-26-17, 03:52 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

i spoke with dealer and they state the warranty will be 2 years
however the problem is this dealer is long distance for me and this is not where i will be servicing the car if necessary
so i am hesitant
perhaps for no reason but this is big purchase for me
Old 11-26-17, 05:05 PM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The warranty isn't dealer specific but if you're concerned, just call your local dealer and find out.
Old 11-26-17, 05:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

As stated - the warranty can be handled by any Lexus dealership. It does not have to be handled by the selling Lexus dealer.

When I bought my 2013 in November of 2014 the car was 23 months old (it began service 1/2013) with 27K miles. The CPO warranty (Lexus was giving at that time) was 3 Years or 100K miles, whichever came first. I just recently passed the 3 years ownership mark this month so my Lexus Basic warranty of 4Yrs/50K Miles expired on 1/2017, and my CPO warranty just expired this month (11/2017). However, I still have the Lexus 6Yrs/70K Mile Powertrain warranty. The car is currently 59 months old and has 46K miles.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-01-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-27-17, 07:21 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

The standard Lexus factory warranty begins on the first in-service date and lasts 4 years or 50k miles, whichever comes first. For the car you are considering, if it has a 2/2012 in-service date, than the factory warranty would be good until 2/2016. If they certify the car, it will add two additional years of warranty from the date you purchase the car with no mileage limits.

If you purchase that vehicle today, than the warranty will be good until 11/2019. As fellow member bclexus mentioned, you can get service for your car from any Lexus dealership in the US. For instance, I live in NY but have taken my car to NJ dealerships for service since a few of the service departments at my local dealerships aren't as good as the ones in NJ.
Old 11-27-17, 04:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
The standard Lexus factory warranty begins on the first in-service date and lasts 4 years or 50k miles, whichever comes first. For the car you are considering, if it has a 2/2012 in-service date, than the factory warranty would be good until 2/2016. If they certify the car, it will add two additional years of warranty from the date you purchase the car with no mileage limits.

If you purchase that vehicle today, than the warranty will be good until 11/2019. As fellow member bclexus mentioned, you can get service for your car from any Lexus dealership in the US. For instance, I live in NY but have taken my car to NJ dealerships for service since a few of the service departments at my local dealerships aren't as good as the ones in NJ.
It used to be that Lexus Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles came with a 3-Year/100K Mile (whichever comes first) warranty from the date of purchase, and included one complimentary engine oil and filter change. However, a year or so ago Lexus changed the CPO warranty - changing it to a 2-Year with no mileage limits, and it includes a complimentary maintenance plan that covers up to four factory-recommended services for up to two years or 20,000 miles. It should be noted that two of those four 'factory-recommended' services are not for engine oil and filter changes.
Old 11-28-17, 06:07 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
It used to be that Lexus Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles came with a 3-Year/100K Mile (whichever comes first) warranty from the date of purchase, and included one complimentary engine oil and filter change. However, a year or so ago Lexus changed the CPO warranty - changing it to a 2-Year with no mileage limits, and it includes a complimentary maintenance plan that covers up to four factory-recommended services for up to two years or 20,000 miles. It should be noted that two of those four 'factory-recommended' services are not for engine oil and filter changes.
Yeah that change to the CPO warranty actually made it one of the better warranties in the industry I think -- upgrade from 100k limit to no limit and including a those 4 free services. I too bought my GS when Lexus had the 3yr/100k standard and my warranty expires in May 2018.

The other nice change with the new L/Certified warranty is that if you buy the car and it has any remaining time on the 4yr/50k factory warranty, the L/Certified warranty begins only after the factory one expires essentially increasing the time you have with a warranty in effect. In some cases, this is actually much better depending on the timing of your purchase.
Old 11-28-17, 09:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Yeah that change to the CPO warranty actually made it one of the better warranties in the industry I think -- upgrade from 100k limit to no limit and including a those 4 free services. I too bought my GS when Lexus had the 3yr/100k standard and my warranty expires in May 2018.

The other nice change with the new L/Certified warranty is that if you buy the car and it has any remaining time on the 4yr/50k factory warranty, the L/Certified warranty begins only after the factory one expires essentially increasing the time you have with a warranty in effect. In some cases, this is actually much better depending on the timing of your purchase.
I think the Basic Warranty on my 2013 was 4Yr/70K Miles. Maybe they changed the Basic warranty mileage to 50K now instead of the old 70K. The time is what expires for me (instead of the mileage) because I only drive the GS 350 about ~7k miles a year

I was unaware that the new CPO warranty begins only after the factory warranty expires. That actually makes the warranty of a Lexus pre-owned vehicle better than the warranty of a new Lexus because you would have 7 Years (4+3) with unlimited mileage. That's strange... I'm not sure why Lexus would limit the new car Basic warranty mileage at all if they are going to allow unlimited mileage for a CPO... That too is strange...
Old 11-28-17, 12:56 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
I think the Basic Warranty on my 2013 was 4Yr/70K Miles. Maybe they changed the Basic warranty mileage to 50K now instead of the old 70K. The time is what expires for me (instead of the mileage) because I only drive the GS 350 about ~7k miles a year

I was unaware that the new CPO warranty begins only after the factory warranty expires. That actually makes the warranty of a Lexus pre-owned vehicle better than the warranty of a new Lexus because you would have 7 Years (4+3) with unlimited mileage. That's strange... I'm not sure why Lexus would limit the new car Basic warranty mileage at all if they are going to allow unlimited mileage for a CPO... That too is strange...
I believe the powertrain warranty was always 6yrs/70k miles and the bumper-to-bumper warranty was always 4yr/50k miles. I was so confused when they released the new L/Certified program because just 5 months earlier in 2015 I bought my 4GS under the pretense of the old CPO 3yr/50k which wasn't as good as the newer program!

I think corporate realized that there was lots of overlap and some confusion with the warranties (thankfully I had a good service adviser who was able to explain it all)...For example, when I bought my 2011 IS350 as a CPO car in 2014, a few things happened such as the bubbling headlamp defect (TSB) and a leaky fog lens. They fixed these items but ONLY because the car was still under the 4yr/50k mileage bumper to bumper warranty. There was an overlap between that original 4yr/50k and the CPO warranties that caused some mild confusion. Customers would come in one day and have something fixed no questions asked, while at a later time they wouldn't be able to have certain items fixed as the car fell into the slightly more limited CPO warranty.

Later during my ownership, when I had a rubber seal that was worn in the trunk area of my IS about 8 months later, they wouldn't fix that under the CPO warranty citing that the original repairs made to the replace headlamps and fog lens were not made under the CPO warranty, but under my (at the time) remaining 4yr/50k bumper to bumper factory warranty. The CPO / L/Certified warranties do not typically cover wear and tear items like lenses, bulbs, seals or even TSBs unless you have a relationship with the service manager and they help you out in good faith.

Now, I think its a bit clearer - your car is covered for 4yrs/50k miles no matter what. If you buy it from Lexus, Toyota or another dealership like Nissan/Porsche/etc. this warranty stays in effect. You can only get the L/Certified warranty on a car sold by a Lexus dealership. If you have any remaining time on the 4yr/50k warranty, the L/Certified warranty starts after that one expires - so no more overlapping factory/certified warranties. If the factory warranty has expired and you buy an L/Certified car from Lexus, you now only have the certification (limited) warranty which begins the date when purchase the car.
Old 12-07-17, 06:21 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

are there any noticeable differences between the 14 and 15 es 350?
they can be had for the same price with the 15 having 10k more miles on the clock
if given a choice would people here buy a 14 es 350 with 35 k miles, a 15 es 350 with 45 k miles or a 13 gs 350 awd with 70k miles?
Old 12-07-17, 06:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heidihidin
are there any noticeable differences between the 14 and 15 es 350?
they can be had for the same price with the 15 having 10k more miles on the clock
if given a choice would people here buy a 14 es 350 with 35 k miles, a 15 es 350 with 45 k miles or a 13 gs 350 awd with 70k miles?
An ES 350 is not a consideration at all - zero interest...
Old 12-07-17, 07:26 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

why? explain please

Quick Reply: model year question