GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking to get my first Lexus, question about F Sport color and price

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 07:48 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by zerocrack
I am considering buying this car tomorrow: http://www.arrowheadlexus.com/Vehicl...-AZ/3094876453
For the price, I got them to drop another $250 so we at 27,750 but they will not budge anymore than that. Think this is a decent deal?
I think that's still on the high side. Here's one I looked at yesterday for $27,500, but it's AWD and has the Luxury Package - http://lexusofmtkisco.com/certified/...df8f8e8599.htm
Old 12-06-17, 08:12 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I am considering buying this car tomorrow: http://www.arrowheadlexus.com/Vehicl...-AZ/3094876453

According to the sale person, It used at loan vehicle at this dealership and then 2nd owner bought it and traded it back in 2 years later. Sale person said that dealership put $2300 into this car before putting it on market and that include brand new set of tires and brakes. Should I verify this by asking for paper record or their word is good enough? There is small bump on one of the panel which is only noticeable if you look for it. There is a mall scruff mark below driver's door which I asked about it and they said that the tech probably tried to buff it out and that the best they can do. The leather on the door handle of the driver have some dirt mark and some blemish on the leather in the back seats. They seem unconcerned when I brought up these issues with the interior imperfection. Is it within reason that I ask for a details before taking the car?

For the price, I got them to drop another $250 so we at 27,750 but they will not budge anymore than that. Think this is a decent deal?
Is there a dealership fee or doc fee/prep fee?

The price is fair - its not an outstanding deal because I've seen 1-owner cars in my area with AWD (which adds to the price) and the luxury package with similar mileage for less (https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9237/overview/).

My humble opinion is that if you can get them down to $27k its a good deal. You should price out cars within a few competing dealerships and show them (print it out and show it to them)...there are similarly equipped RWD 2014 models going for $26-$28k that are certified (keep in mind that a 2014 will be warrantied through 2020).

One last thing: They've had the car on their lot since October 24th according to the Carfax..they should be more willing to negotiate the price on that car, its been sitting on their lot for a month and a half! Use that to your advantage and use competing dealership prices that show similar cars priced lower to get a better price...
Old 12-06-17, 09:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

According to the sale person, It used at loan vehicle at this dealership and then 2nd owner bought it and traded it back in 2 years later. Sale person said that dealership put $2300 into this car before putting it on market and that include brand new set of tires and brakes. Should I verify this by asking for paper record or their word is good enough? There is small bump on one of the panel which is only noticeable if you look for it. There is a mall scruff mark below driver's door which I asked about it and they said that the tech probably tried to buff it out and that the best they can do. The leather on the door handle of the driver have some dirt mark and some blemish on the leather in the back seats. They seem unconcerned when I brought up these issues with the interior imperfection. Is it within reason that I ask for a details before taking the car?

Are you near the dealership to check the tread life? I would ask for proof of the new tires and brakes. It is a base, non F sport 2013, there are plenty of them out there and they are not in big demand hence the not very good resale for the GS. Doubt they really put $2300 in tires and brakes and other things for it unless they charged themselves dealership prices. Is that $27,750 out the door? I would try to get them into the 26-27K range and that is if it has a good pair of brand new tires with proof.
Old 12-06-17, 09:07 AM
zerocrack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe It does have premium package and not a base. I live in AZ and extended my search to SoCal as well but I cant find any GS350 for lower than 28k CPO with similar miles and package. The few I see in SoCal is slightly better value being 1 owner and 1 year newer (2014) but doesn't have color I like. Am I searching wrong or it just more expensive in this area?
Old 12-06-17, 09:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Are you near the dealership to check the tread life? I would ask for proof of the new tires and brakes. It is a base, non F sport 2013, there are plenty of them out there and they are not in big demand hence the not very good resale for the GS. Doubt they really put $2300 in tires and brakes and other things for it unless they charged themselves dealership prices. Is that $27,750 out the door? I would try to get them into the 26-27K range and that is if it has a good pair of brand new tires with proof.
This GS 350 is not the Base model - it has the Premium package. Very few Base models were made.

If the Lexus dealership states it has new brakes, you can be assured it has new brakes ... but does it have all four or just [maybe] the fronts only? The pictures of the car show an image of one of the [new] tires where the new tire sticker was removed, but the sticker adhesive remained on the tread. I'm not sure why you doubt the new brakes and tires!

The Lexus dealership must send $1,500 to Lexus Corporate to CPO warranty the car before they do anything to the car. The new tires and brakes, plus likely an engine oil/filter change, cabin air filter, engine air filter and brake fluid change, plus detailing (ding removal, touch-ups, engine bay cleanup, etc.) easily added another $800 - so $2,300 is very likely what the Lexus dealership has invested in the car. That said, it would not surprise me to learn that the dealership spent $2,300 to make the car sale-ready and after sending $1,500 to corporate for the warranty coverage their recovery is $3,800. The warranty doesn't come from Lexus free or 'just because'. It has a cost of $1,500. Then tack on all the other stuff the dealership does to get the car ready for sale...
Old 12-06-17, 10:13 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I believe It does have premium package and not a base. I live in AZ and extended my search to SoCal as well but I cant find any GS350 for lower than 28k CPO with similar miles and package. The few I see in SoCal is slightly better value being 1 owner and 1 year newer (2014) but doesn't have color I like. Am I searching wrong or it just more expensive in this area?
When negotiating, the color of the car isn't going to be an issue unless the ones you are using to compare are not a "common" color. Colors such as red and satin cashmere are not as widely appealing as black/white/silver/grey and typically harder to sell in certain markets. As long as you are comparing similar cars, they should come down in price to compete if they really want to sell that car.

Driving 300-400 miles and making a deal happen requires time and energy which may not be worth a couple hundred dollars. When I negotiated for my IS350, the sales manager beat the price of the lowest CPO competitor nationwide. When I bought my 4GS, they beat the price of any competing dealership in the northeast area (obviously within similar specs/mileage).
Old 12-07-17, 09:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Don't know about your search but I would be open to finding one that is not CPO as you would likely save several thousand dollars and have a much bigger selection. The 4th Gen GS is a very reliable solid car with few issues, most of the issues it may have don't cost a lot of money to address especially if you avoid the dealership. A good DIY detail/polish can make most 3 or 4 year old cars look brand new. I meant RWD non F sport/Non Luxury package when I said "base", premium package is how most GS's came equipped and they are everywhere on the used market.

Last edited by UDel; 12-07-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 08:49 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am seeing some for under 25k but they are all on the east coast. 2014 with 50-60k miles

autotrader