GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HUD Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18 | 02:22 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by Superman60
Looks like a lot to it, looking forward to seeing your finished work.
I'll make a step-by-step guide. Just need the last piece to get delivered.
Old 03-15-18 | 12:36 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Any updates?
Old 03-15-18 | 02:05 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by lamikela1
Any updates?
I'm assuming most people who keep asking have no idea how slow deliveries via ocean freight are from Japan.

Typically takes up to 4 weeks to ship and clear customs. Once I get the part, it should take a weekend to complete this project.

Hopefully it's worth the wait!
Old 03-21-18 | 10:56 PM
eddie420

Got an update from Lexus factory in Japan. The part will arrive April 2nd. What a long time sigh...
Old 03-30-18 | 05:29 PM
North
Driver

Hey Eddie, where is the plug or pigtail that goes into the HUD projector at? I have a 2013 RX 450h and I took off the back part of the dash(the defroster nozzle) but cannot figure out which plug goes into the HUD projector? Thanks, Tim
Old 03-30-18 | 06:02 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by North
Hey Eddie, where is the plug or pigtail that goes into the HUD projector at? I have a 2013 RX 450h and I took off the back part of the dash(the defroster nozzle) but cannot figure out which plug goes into the HUD projector? Thanks, Tim
It's on the harness behind the center console navigation display. You'll see an unused connector wrapped around the harness that is intended for the HUD. The display is really easy to take out, it's literally two or four plastic screws on the trim, and two 10mm bolts on each side of the actual display. Should take 5 minutes max.
The following users liked this post:
North (03-30-18)
Old 03-30-18 | 06:12 PM
North
Driver

Wow Eddie thank you, so it's really that easy? Do I need some type of extension so the wire will reach the HUD projector up on the dash. It seems to me like it is a stretch to reach the HUD? Is it easy to thread the wire up to the hud from behind the Navigation screen? I have seen a used HUD from a 2010 RX 450h but was afraid to buy it as wondered if it would be compatible. I can buy a new one from Lexus for around $750.00. Thanks again Eddie!!
Old 03-31-18 | 01:56 PM
eddie420

Wow Eddie thank you, so it's really that easy? Do I need some type of extension so the wire will reach the HUD projector up on the dash. It seems to me like it is a stretch to reach the HUD? Is it easy to thread the wire up to the hud from behind the Navigation screen? I have seen a used HUD from a 2010 RX 450h but was afraid to buy it as wondered if it would be compatible. I can buy a new one from Lexus for around $750.00. Thanks again Eddie!!
The unused connector is zip tied to the harness. Once you remove the zip tie, the harness will reach the HUD. Just remember there are two connectors, one that connects to the switches on the trim (separate cable) and the other that interfaces with the car. If you're uncomfortable buying, I'd suggest you remove the nav and check out the harness beforehand. Once you can confirm the connector is there and long enough to reach the HUD, then feel free to get the HUD with confidence.
Old 03-31-18 | 02:47 PM
North
Driver

Eddie, thanks so much again, as far as the connectors, the one that connects to the switches on the trim is already attached to the blank plate on the lower rt side of the steering column where the 3 buttons go that control the HUD. I tested it and it is definitely energized so I think all I have to do is buy the buttons and change out the blank plate with them, is this the separate cable your are talking about? Sorry to be dense but just want to make sure I am on the same wave length. Tim
Old 03-31-18 | 02:52 PM
North
Driver

I am going to take out the Nav screen tomorrow and look at the harness and I think this will make more sense as to what you are saying. I will look at the harness and compare it to the 2010 RX 450 HUD projector that is on ebay and see if it looks similar. I spoke with someone at my Lexus dealership and he said that as far as being compatible it did look like it was, however the guy at the used parts place said if it didn't work I could send it back. If it did fit the harness and it was a different configuration , it wouldn't hurt the car 's computer would it? Thanks, Tim
Old 03-31-18 | 03:12 PM
eddie420

Eddie, thanks so much again, as far as the connectors, the one that connects to the switches on the trim is already attached to the blank plate on the lower rt side of the steering column where the 3 buttons go that control the HUD. I tested it and it is definitely energized so I think all I have to do is buy the buttons and change out the blank plate with them, is this the separate cable your are talking about? Sorry to be dense but just want to make sure I am on the same wave length. Tim
The RX is a bit different than the GS. But yes, that is the cable I am speaking of, the one that goes to the buttons. The other wire is tied to the harness; that's your primary interface between the car on your computer and the HUD and that's where the HUD gets its power from.

I am going to take out the Nav screen tomorrow and look at the harness and I think this will make more sense as to what you are saying. I will look at the harness and compare it to the 2010 RX 450 HUD projector that is on ebay and see if it looks similar. I spoke with someone at my Lexus dealership and he said that as far as being compatible it did look like it was, however the guy at the used parts place said if it didn't work I could send it back. If it did fit the harness and it was a different configuration , it wouldn't hurt the car 's computer would it? Thanks, Tim
Not sure, my assumption is that if the connector fits, it will work but again, just an assumption. All I know is never force a connector in since the power pins are could be different. So if it goes in easy, you should be set.
North (03-31-18)
Old 03-31-18 | 03:18 PM
North
Driver

I will let you know of my findings. Thanks Eddie, you are such a great help!!!
eddie420 (03-31-18)
Old 04-05-18 | 04:22 PM
eddie420

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Old 04-07-18 | 08:50 AM
North
Driver

Hello Eddie, well I took out the Nav screen this morning on my RX 450h, and there was no extra plug that goes to the HUD, however there is a place it looks like you can plug in perhaps another plug that would go to the HUD, it is the white one. Unsure just wondered if you have encountered this. Thanks again for all your help!!!!
Old 04-07-18 | 09:01 AM
North
Driver

Eddie I looked at the back of the Nav screen on the salvage car that has the HUD that I was going to by and it too only has 2 plugs coming out of the back. Odd it didn''t even have the extra white one? I know this one pairs up with one that has HUD as this came off the car where I'm buying the salvage part(HUD)? Guess I'm going to give up???

Quick Reply: HUD Retrofit