Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch dude, but it was worth it =P
Old 09-20-18, 05:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by garyeh
Ouch dude, but it was worth it =P
Yes it was worth it. The entire mod just cost me $380, blood, sweat, and beers. Plus the dremel, but I might just be that guy who returns it. I bought seperate blades for cutting the dash.

I drove 5 hours today with the HUD, it's soon cool, and actually practical for my driving style. I usually grip the 2 o'clock position, and my hand covers the most of the speedometer. Now mph, gear, and rpm is projected in front of me. Kind of looks like it's outside the car on the hood, but very clear. The ghosting isn't actually that bad and you get used to it, but I'm still going to get the window film. It actaully is less noticable when your driving compared to when your not movng
Old 09-20-18, 06:07 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yes it was worth it. The entire mod just cost me $380, blood, sweat, and beers. Plus the dremel, but I might just be that guy who returns it. I bought seperate blades for cutting the dash.

I drove 5 hours today with the HUD, it's soon cool, and actually practical for my driving style. I usually grip the 2 o'clock position, and my hand covers the most of the speedometer. Now mph, gear, and rpm is projected in front of me. Kind of looks like it's outside the car on the hood, but very clear. The ghosting isn't actually that bad and you get used to it, but I'm still going to get the window film. It actaully is less noticable when your driving compared to when your not movng
I'm glad you got it working. Final pictures from the cockpit please!
Old 09-27-18, 11:57 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
I'm glad you got it working. Final pictures from the cockpit please!
It's actually very bright and clear in person, my phone didn't take the best pic. The ghosting is hard to tell when driving. This is a pic of HUD on a non-HUD windshield.

Old 09-28-18, 04:38 AM
eddie420

It's actually very bright and clear in person, my phone didn't take the best pic. The ghosting is hard to tell when driving. This is a pic of HUD on a non-HUD windshield.

That's awesome! Very hard to tell if the ghosting exists. Good job dude.
Old 09-28-18, 08:24 AM
eddie420

I may add some kind of magnifying glass inside the unit right past the movable LCD screen to make the display a bit larger. I don't know yet, still debating. I prefer a larger display read out, makes it easier when driving. I had a 3rd party above-dash HUD previously and it gave nice large readouts so it was easy to see in my peripheral vision.
Old 10-02-18, 10:31 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I may add some kind of magnifying glass inside the unit right past the movable LCD screen to make the display a bit larger. I don't know yet, still debating. I prefer a larger display read out, makes it easier when driving. I had a 3rd party above-dash HUD previously and it gave nice large readouts so it was easy to see in my peripheral vision.
You don't need that, in person it's very clear,easy to read, any bigger and it might turn into a distraction. I think adding anything will mess up the projection.

I did manage to install the brackets for the HUD using unused pop rivet with electrical tape to stick into the screw holes(since I can't put a screw in from the backside), then using a ziptie to hold it in place. Now the HUD is positioned perfectly and I don't have to worry about it moving around over time.
Old 10-04-18, 04:09 PM
eddie420

Hey bro! I totally get what you meant about the HUD being totally bright and clear in person. The camera makes it look blurry. Mine is working good too, just finished doing the install. FYI, I do plan on getting the windshield since I will be adding the lane recognition camera so I might as well get 56101-30980 which includes everything (with rain sensor, with deicer, with head-up display with lane assist). I have a cold weather package so I have the sensor and de-icer, now the head-up display and soon lane assist.

EDIT: I still haven't put the all the trim and some other stuff on the car yet, will finish tomorrow.

Old 10-04-18, 04:15 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Hey bro! I totally get what you meant about the HUD being totally bright and clear in person. The camera makes it look blurry. Mine is working good too, just finished doing the install. FYI, I do plan on getting the windshield since I will be adding the lane recognition camera so I might as well get 56101-30980 which includes everything (with rain sensor, with deicer, with head-up display with lane assist). I have a cold weather package so I have the sensor and de-icer, now the head-up display and soon lane assist.

EDIT: I still haven't put the all the trim and some other stuff on the car yet, will finish tomorrow.
Nice job, welcome to the HUD retrofit club
I too was also surprised how clear and barely noticeable the ghosting is while driving.

Did you also install the parts for the Dynamic Cruise Control or is that next on your list?
Old 10-04-18, 04:25 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I thought you already got the HUD windshield installed, replaced by dealer, that said it was only $350 more.
Old 10-04-18, 04:34 PM
eddie420

Nice job, welcome to the HUD retrofit club
I too was also surprised how clear and barely noticeable the ghosting is while driving.

Did you also install the parts for the Dynamic Cruise Control or is that next on your list?
Thanks bud! TIS gives this description on what the windshield does (see image below). And yes, I installed a few of the parts except for the radar and driver monitor. I purposely did not install the radar because it won't work until I install the Driving Support ECU. Will eventually get my hands on it. The driver monitor got shipped to a wrong address... waiting on the company to tell me when they will send it to me... but I still need the Driver Assist ECU also. Neither of these will work without the ECU.

Old 02-20-19, 01:38 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

So I tried to buy this 2015 color HUD, but they won't sell me just the HUD, only the entire dash with the HUD, oh, well. I was going to offer $200 for the HUD.

Old 02-20-19, 01:47 PM
eddie420

So I tried to buy this 2015 color HUD, but they won't sell me just the HUD, only the entire dash with the HUD, oh, well. I was going to offer $200 for the HUD.
I dealt with the Atlanta and Brooklyn offices, they are a pain to work with. Plus you need to use a registered mechanic shop to buy from them. Otherwise you have to pay upfront, then pick it up at a later date. Too much of a hassle.
Old 02-20-19, 01:54 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I dealt with the Atlanta and Brooklyn offices, they are a pain to work with. Plus you need to use a registered mechanic shop to buy from them. Otherwise you have to pay upfront, then pick it up at a later date. Too much of a hassle.
So the other day I purchased the front 2 18 way Luxury front seats and rear seats(with controls and heated), in Flaxen for $1350 shipped to my door. Shipping freight, $550 for the shipping and $800 for all the seats. They are going to drop off a pallet in a parking spot in from of my apartment complex.

The hassle with that recycler is they only accept wire transfer or certified check for out of state purchases. So I took the leap of faith, sent the check, we'll see communication has been great so far. They don't accept credit card(only in person) or paypal. They have apparently been burned before.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-20-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 02:43 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

color really isn't worth. adds some blue but thats pretty much it besides the "BRAKE" highlighted in red. @peasodos you have an fsport right? are you trying to add 3zone climate to yours?

Quick Reply: HUD Retrofit