GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HUD Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 02:51 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
color really isn't worth. adds some blue but thats pretty much it besides the "BRAKE" highlighted in red. @peasodos you have an fsport right? are you trying to add 3zone climate to yours?
I don't have the f-sport, but my car is currently in the body shop repairing some damage to my hood and they are installing the f-sport bumper.

I have the base GS 450h, so I got all the seats from the LUX model(front and rear) the other day. Cost me $1350, I found a Russian blog were the guy swapped the standard seats with the lux and it was a direct swap. So I'm betting that's the case with the USA GS.
I figure I can sell my stock seats for $800-1000 so the upgrade won't cost me that much.

I'll start a thread on the swap once the seats get shipped to me, but I probably won't do the swap till next month.

Old 07-03-19, 03:48 PM
North
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HUD retro fit

Hello again, I'm so glad you guys got your retro fit HUD installed!!! I still have been unable to find the harness for the HUD on my RX 350. I have looked and looked after pulling off the defroster nozzle and after examining all the wiring cannot for the life of me find the harness that looks like it goes to the HUD. I have attached the wiring diagram for the HUD and have tried to trace it but it must be taped somewhere out of sight! It is the wire that also goes to the front dash speaker, as well as the daylight sensor attached to the defroster nozzle bezel. I still very much want to try and do like you guys and put in the HUD. Thanks so much for any advice, thoughts etc. Tim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Head up Display.pdf (97.3 KB, 184 views)
Old 07-04-19, 01:46 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by North
Hello again, I'm so glad you guys got your retro fit HUD installed!!! I still have been unable to find the harness for the HUD on my RX 350. I have looked and looked after pulling off the defroster nozzle and after examining all the wiring cannot for the life of me find the harness that looks like it goes to the HUD. I have attached the wiring diagram for the HUD and have tried to trace it but it must be taped somewhere out of sight! It is the wire that also goes to the front dash speaker, as well as the daylight sensor attached to the defroster nozzle bezel. I still very much want to try and do like you guys and put in the HUD. Thanks so much for any advice, thoughts etc. Tim
For me it was taped on the right of the speedometer behind the 12.3" display. Did you remove the display? Your HUD wire is long so I'm guessing its somewhere behind the display, taped to the existing harness.
Old 07-04-19, 03:54 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

I have not installed the HUD on my RX350. Honestly, I have not done ANY mods to the SUV whatsoever. Although the RX is great vehicle, my heart is set on getting another GS350. Unfortunately, I cannot find any inventory and when I do, it's overpriced.

When I was contemplating installing the HUD on the RX, it looked like I only needed to take the defroster nozzle off without taking anything else out. Is that right? Or did you have to remove something else? The HUD wire on the GS was taped up between the odometer and center screen. Obviously, this might be different with the GS. Just remember that there is an extra small cable that connects between the HUD and the pre-existing wiring.

Old 07-04-19, 07:33 PM
North
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
For me it was taped on the right of the speedometer behind the 12.3" display. Did you remove the display? Your HUD wire is long so I'm guessing its somewhere behind the display, taped to the existing harness.
I have not on this RX, I did on my RX 450 H and could not find it, I will try and look to the left of the Nav display and see if I it or can feel it. Thanks so much I will keep you posted!!!
Old 07-04-19, 07:35 PM
North
Driver

I did remove the defroster nozzle on this RX however I could not find any wire that seemed to be taped, I will take out the NAV display and look to the left of the screen near the speedometer to see if I can find anything, thanks so much, and I will let you know!!! Have a great night
Old 07-05-19, 02:26 PM
North
Driver

Default Picture of 2013 RX 350 dash apart

Wire directly above where HUD should go?
I'm going to try and reach under the defroster nozzle and see if I can find this wire. I'm almost positive this is the correct wire for the HUD!
Old 07-05-19, 04:19 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Wire directly above where HUD should go?
I'm going to try and reach under the defroster nozzle and see if I can find this wire. I'm almost positive this is the correct wire for the HUD!
For the non-hud rx its probably taped down and not were it is in the picture, most likely behind the 12.3 display. You'll make your life a lot easier if you remove it. Not hard. Couple screws for the plastic trim around the Display and 2 or 4 bolts for the screen, af least yhsts how it was on the gs.
The following users liked this post:
North (07-05-19)
Old 07-05-19, 06:21 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

So I looked through TIS and definitely believe it is the same as the GS...

1) Pre-existing HUD wiring exists in the car.

2) An additional small cable connects between the pre-existing wiring and the HUD.

Need the additional small cable to interface between HUD and pre-existing wiring.

Believe that part is most likely 82140-0E050 or 82143-0E060. Not sure which one...

EDIT: Actually these might be for the air bag and light sensors... ugh. Finding this wire is always difficult.
Old 07-05-19, 06:58 PM
North
Driver

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 07-05-19, 07:02 PM
North
Driver

Default Re: Picture of RX 350 dash apart

The wire ^ is to the left of the screen maybe this might help you locate it on yours? Hope this comes through this time!!!
Thanks Eddie!!! I'm trying to once again send pic!!!
Old 08-01-19, 09:50 AM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hate to bring up an old post but could anyone let me know if this would be doable on a 2018 GS350? I’ve got the digital speedo cluster but no HUD.

if so is all the parts I need the top half of dash, hud and cable?
Old 08-01-19, 09:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dotslash
Hate to bring up an old post but could anyone let me know if this would be doable on a 2018 GS350? I’ve got the digital speedo cluster but no HUD.

if so is all the parts I need the top half of dash, hud and cable?
HUD
cable
trim around steering wheel with hub buttons.
HUD Brackets(I got one screw in on each side and zip tied the back one(since you would have to take the dash out to put that screw in)
Hardest part is cutting the opening in the dash, everything else is plug and play. I used a dremel with an extension tool.
Old 08-01-19, 09:57 AM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
HUD
cable
trim around steering wheel with hub buttons.
HUD Brackets(I got one screw in on each side and zip tied the back one(since you would have to take the dash out to put that screw in)
Hardest part is cutting the opening in the dash, everything else is plug and play. I used a dremel with an extension tool.
plug and play even on a 18 with the digital cluster?
Old 08-01-19, 09:59 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dotslash
plug and play even on a 18 with the digital cluster?
Should be the instrument cluster has nothing really to do with the HUD, other than you have to remove it to install the HUD. You would probably have to get a 2016+ HUD unit for it to work in your car.

Quick Reply: HUD Retrofit