GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tested Snow Mode Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17 | 12:37 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by Htony
Main thing is having a good set of winter tire(M&S marked) installed. If one wants to try snow mode, couple inches of snow is not enough, at least foot of snow. is good
for testing. I just don't understand folks who spend so much money on their cars and can't afford decent set of winter tires,.There is no such thing as enough safety. The better prepared, the better it will be on any thing.
Just remember M&S are not snow rated, they are all seasons. Snow tires have the little snowflake symbol on them as well as M&S.
Old 12-12-17 | 01:17 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ This. My wifes 4Runner came with M&S tires that are not as good as my snow tires. Also, in NY it is illegal for a dealer to sell a car with snow tires on it as those tires become dangerous in high temperatures
Old 12-13-17 | 02:08 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure the illegal snow tires thing is true as I've bought a used car from a Lexus dealer that came on snow tires and have seen several used vehicles on snow tires for sale at dealers ranging from small corner lots to large retail lots. Unless this is a newly enacted thing
Old 12-13-17 | 02:32 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Back in 08 when I worked for a few dealers none of them could as the tires are deemed not suitable for warm weather. It was quite the problem because of how far north I am in NY
Old 12-14-17 | 07:25 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Had fresh snow/ice today for morning rush hour and cut through it no problem while watching others fish tailing all over. Schools were delayed but not the GS which was right on time!
Stayed in snow mode and felt in complete control although was a bit nervous on the steep down hills with turns but all was good. Uphills were piece of cake for the AWD.
Old 12-15-17 | 02:32 AM
bonaproud
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
So I got about 6 inches of snow last night. Drove to work this morning with 2 inches still on the road. It is still coming down and about 19" are expected by tomorrow.

In the straight line the car is a tank. I had grip for days both going and stopping. I felt like I was on dry roads this morning going to work. In the turns I get a little bit of push (under steer for us car guys) but that is to be expected out of a rear bias car. The only time I slid the tail out was when I wanted to. Went into a turn and stabbed the throttle a bit to see if I could slide her out (my last car was a RWD V8...that thing slid all the time) and that is the only time I got her kicked out. Traction control came on and helped bring her back in line.

The true test will be going home for lunch as we don't usually plow out driveway (wife has a 4Runner) and its a 15% uphill grade.
so I have AWD + snows as well and read this comment a couple of days ago and said to myself "under steer... I wonder what that means..?" well.. yesterday, while taking a turn (it had been snowing - ~ 2-3 inches ) I got a little bit of a push as well... now I totally understand what you mean! and agree.. straight line, zero issues!
Old 12-15-17 | 05:07 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ Absolutely. I take it easy in the turns with it now lol
Old 12-15-17 | 08:21 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Gave mine a good test today: snow came earlier and faster than expected. Major roads were fine, but secondary arteries were snow covered and slick: folks slipping up and down hills, saw one car in a yard. Neighborhood streets were thick, school buses were late.

I was very happy with the awd, first time in sketchy conditions since my GS430. Had some trouble down a hill, but that was the tires. ABS worked well. Traction was good all the way to the garage.

Love this car.

Last edited by jonathancl; 12-15-17 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-17-17 | 07:36 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

^ Lux package with stock all seasons?
Old 02-02-18 | 02:09 PM
andygill27
Rookie

My first drive in the snow was my first drive EVER in this car. I put in in ECO AND snow mode to take no chances on the uphills and turns. Very impressed, considering the all-season Michelins and 2+ inches on the roads. Wondering if Snow mode evens out the torque split to a more even 50/50 than 30/70 in regular driving mode.