GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tested Snow Mode Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 11:17 AM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 403 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Tested Snow Mode Today

Tested my 13 GS350 AWD LUX in snow mode today with about 1'' of snow.
Drove around town, without noticeable difference between normal and snow mode.

Then tested on steep incline from stop.
Car moved with less slippage from snow mode than normal.
Confirmed by moving into manual that in snow mode car is stopped and starts in 2nd gear, while in normal mode it's in 1st gear.

Thats all I got.

Feel free to comment on your experiences in snow mode.
Old 12-09-17, 11:47 AM
Reston4GS
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It snowed here too in Northern Virginia, but unfortunately it didn’t stick enough for me to give my 2013 GS350 AWD as well a good test...
Old 12-09-17, 09:06 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tested mine out as well. I am not sure I recommend going on the highway with it enabled unless conditions are really bad. My mpg dropped from 21 to 17. However, I felt super grounded on some of the unplowed side streets here in jersey.
Old 12-10-17, 06:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

No reason not to go on the highway in snow mode, at higher speeds the hearing is the same, all it does is retard the throttle response and start in second gear from a start.
Old 12-10-17, 06:17 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

First winter with the f sport. This car is a lot of fun in the snow. More fun than my turbo subie because its heavier and just as tail happy when i go sideways! (Warning: do not try this at home, ive been driving for 23 years with a perfect driving record. Experienced drivers only!)
Old 12-11-17, 06:51 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Reston4GS
It snowed here too in Northern Virginia, but unfortunately it didn’t stick enough for me to give my 2013 GS350 AWD as well a good test...
I'm here in Northern VA too and was kinda hoping to test the snow mode but you're right...definitely didn't stick.
Old 12-11-17, 10:15 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
I'm here in Northern VA too and was kinda hoping to test the snow mode but you're right...definitely didn't stick.

I wish I had that problem we got 6+ niches out here in the northeast. but it's all good cause I have a second car I drive in the winter months my 2016 GS f_sprot
is put away in the garage I may take out and test snow mode this winter.
Old 12-11-17, 10:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Snow mode isn't really that impressive. All it does is tame the throttle. It's like extra eco-mode in terms of throttle response.

I have used my GS many times in the snow and found that it handles the snow supremely well and do not bother with snow mode as I found no benefit.

Edit: To be clear, my experience is with AWD. I cannot say if snow mode offers a tangible benefit in RWD cars.

Last edited by JDR76; 12-11-17 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GregCanada (12-12-17)
Old 12-11-17, 12:32 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Snow mode isn't really that impressive. All it does is tame the throttle. It's like extra eco-mode in terms of throttle response.

I have used my GS many times in the snow and found that it handles the snow supremely well and do not bother with snow mode as I found no benefit.
Totally agree ! have had my 2013 AWD Luxury out in 4 to 6 inches (pushing it with clearance at 6 ) no issues. Handled so well, I forgot I even had a snow button ...LoL
Old 12-11-17, 01:20 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Cant wait to see what my combo of blizzacks and AWD will do this winter! We haven't had any significant snow yet. Supposed to get 6 to 8 inches in the next 2 days though
Old 12-12-17, 05:28 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So I got about 6 inches of snow last night. Drove to work this morning with 2 inches still on the road. It is still coming down and about 19" are expected by tomorrow.

In the straight line the car is a tank. I had grip for days both going and stopping. I felt like I was on dry roads this morning going to work. In the turns I get a little bit of push (under steer for us car guys) but that is to be expected out of a rear bias car. The only time I slid the tail out was when I wanted to. Went into a turn and stabbed the throttle a bit to see if I could slide her out (my last car was a RWD V8...that thing slid all the time) and that is the only time I got her kicked out. Traction control came on and helped bring her back in line.

The true test will be going home for lunch as we don't usually plow out driveway (wife has a 4Runner) and its a 15% uphill grade.
Old 12-12-17, 08:10 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

+1

I wish snow mode actually did something unique like locked the differential. Akin to Sport+, snow mode is basically E+ mode (Eco Mode+).

Just get a quality set of snow tires to switch your GS into when the white powder decides to stick and you should be fine.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-12-17, 08:41 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Cant wait to see what my combo of blizzacks and AWD will do this winter! We haven't had any significant snow yet. Supposed to get 6 to 8 inches in the next 2 days though
Beast Mode! I have the same setup... it's great. Definitely zero need for "snow mode" or anything less than normal... it's fun
Old 12-12-17, 09:32 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Edit: To be clear, my experience is with AWD. I cannot say if snow mode offers a tangible benefit in RWD cars.
Main thing is having a good set of winter tire(M&S marked) installed. If one wants to try snow mode, couple inches of snow is not enough, at least foot of snow. is good
for testing. I just don't understand folks who spend so much money on their cars and can't afford decent set of winter tires,.There is no such thing as enough safety. The better prepared, the better it will be on any thing.
Old 12-12-17, 10:48 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

So I went home for lunch. 8 inches of snow in the driveway. Climbed up it without a problem. I was so used to my other car that I gunned it a little expecting wheel slip and accelerated hard up my driveway. Whoops lol. What can I say, it turns out that Lexus made a tank haha

Quick Reply: Tested Snow Mode Today