GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17 | 05:16 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Taz68
Hi MythicOne! I'm all for tinting your windows but if you are concerned with nighttime visibility, I would think twice about getting your front windshield tinted; even with a 75-80% film.

I've had "clear" heat rejecting films on my last 4 vehicles and currently have 75% 3M crystalline on my 14 GS. Here in PHX, we need all the help we can get over the summer! All of the films I've used, however, have caused a slight amount of optical distortion at night. Somewhat of a "halo or hologram" effect with street and headlights. It is subtle but noticeable. During the day, there are no issues.

I'm not trying to scare you away from windshield tint; just giving you something to consider. Have a long chat with your installer regarding your concerns and see what he recommends. My installer always warns me about this issue. I choose to have my windshields tinted and accept the tradeoff between better heat rejection and minor nighttime optical distortion.

Looking forward to seeing your tinted GS!
Hmmm....I see. I will have to reconsider my options then on the front windshield.
Thank you sharing your experience with me Taz68!
Old 12-22-17 | 05:18 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Check out G5 in Pasadena or Alhambra. Pasadena carries the FormulaONE / Llumar brand. I think you'll like the FormulaONE Stratos tint ($600 for all 4 sides and back windows out the door with lifetime warranty). Very similar to 3M Crystalline line in terms of performance with heat but with a more charcoal blackish color.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/g5-tint-shop-pasadena-2

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/g5-t...fWCR9lgioGgldg
Thank you Wincer94, will do!
Old 12-31-17 | 10:47 AM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Check out G5 in Pasadena or Alhambra. Pasadena carries the FormulaONE / Llumar brand. I think you'll like the FormulaONE Stratos tint ($600 for all 4 sides and back windows out the door with lifetime warranty). Very similar to 3M Crystalline line in terms of performance with heat but with a more charcoal blackish color.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/g5-tint-shop-pasadena-2

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/g5-t...fWCR9lgioGgldg
Hi Wincer94,

Did you actually get one of your cars done at G5?

Last edited by MythicOne; 12-31-17 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-02-18 | 04:45 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys/Gals!
As promised, here are some before and after pictures of my car with FormulaONE Stratos tints! Thank you Wincer94 for the suggestion!!!
I got them done at G5 in Pasadena. The shop is really clean and Ricky made sure my questions were answered afterwards. Ricky actually wasn't there when I got it done but I called him afterwards about some installation concerns.(see below)
Jeannie at the front desk was very nice and helpful for everything else.

If anyone is actually interested in the details of my experience, PM me.

I had questions on some tool marks on my rear window, but after talking with Ricky, and following his instructions, those came off. Now I'm just waiting to see if a smudge mark on the rear driverside door disappears by the weekend (it has been 3 days).

Overall impressions:
- I really like the heat rejection on these. Driving to OC this weekend, I noticed a BIG difference between my front windshields and the side windows.
- Got 35s all around because I am old and need the visual light more than looking "gansta." + I like the color better than the 30's (though truth be told, I can't tell once they are on the car).
- The rear tint still lets enough light in for my Thinkware F800 Pro rear camera to see out well. (I have it mounted under the front camera so that I get the whole cabin)
- Still wondering if SpectraSync is bettter...just a tiny bit curious - no buyer's remorse though.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-front_before.jpg   Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-front_after.jpg   Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-back_before.jpg   Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-back_after.jpg  

Last edited by MythicOne; 01-02-18 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-18 | 07:56 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MythicOne
Hi Wincer94,

Did you actually get one of your cars done at G5?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I actually had it done back in August. Got the Stratos 35% all around except the windshield (Stratos 35% is actually around 39% visible light transmission). Still not sure if I want to tint the windshield due to the optical distortion I sometimes see when I look through the front driver side while I'm wearing any of my Maui Jim sunglasses (all Maui Jims have polarized lenses). Attached are pictures I took after they tinted my windows back in August. I did not touch the film for at least a week. Cleaned all the smudges the following week when I washed my car. Btw, my car is Atomic Silver (Sonic Titanium) with black interior.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-20170812_172656.jpg   Window Tint Installer Recommendation please!-20170812_172642.jpg  
Old 01-03-18 | 12:33 PM
MythicOne
Driver School Candidate

Oooh I like how your Atomic Silver paint looks in the photo!
I was looking for Liquid Platinum (as silver was always the color of my cars...MB, VW, Mazda, BMWs), but when I was looking they didn't have any.
This is the first "dark" -ish car I've owned... It is harder to keep clean and shows off the dust really well!
My color combo is Smoky Granite Mica with Black leather and aluminium trim.