GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-17, 03:42 PM
Gs21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper question

I did another stupid thing with my car and my ocd is messing with me about it. I was going to raise the windshield wipers because its snowing here in new york and instead of laying both wipers on the windshield and then pulling up into winter position ( I forgot this is how it works) I instead raised up the right side and then went to pull the left side up into winter mode but it seems there's a mechanism that locks it out because I tried pulling a bit hard and it wouldn't move which I shouldn't have did, that locking mechanism doesn't allow you to raise the wiper arms unless both wipers are laid flat on the windshield.

Did I cause damage by doing this? I'm the type to want to replace anything on my car if I think there is damage to it so I'm not sure what to do
Old 12-09-17, 04:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs21
I did another stupid thing with my car and my ocd is messing with me about it. I was going to raise the windshield wipers because its snowing here in new york and instead of laying both wipers on the windshield and then pulling up into winter position ( I forgot this is how it works) I instead raised up the right side and then went to pull the left side up into winter mode but it seems there's a mechanism that locks it out because I tried pulling a bit hard and it wouldn't move which I shouldn't have did, that locking mechanism doesn't allow you to raise the wiper arms unless both wipers are laid flat on the windshield.

Did I cause damage by doing this? I'm the type to want to replace anything on my car if I think there is damage to it so I'm not sure what to do
No, you did no harm...
Old 12-09-17, 04:54 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs21

You can thank me later but I just went outside, raised the driver's side blade while in summer mode (impossible to do on the passenger side unless done by an ape), then went to the passenger side and moved/slid both arms up to winter mode. There's no "locking mechanism". You're safe. 2013 4GS and doubt this system has changed in later model years.
Old 12-09-17, 05:52 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Since the question has been answered I will hi-jack this a little. What is the point of winter mode for those of us with the cold weather package that comes with the wiper defroster? is there a point then?
Old 12-09-17, 06:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Since the question has been answered I will hi-jack this a little. What is the point of winter mode for those of us with the cold weather package that comes with the wiper defroster? is there a point then?
If you park outside and reach your [frigidly cold] car with 6 inches of fresh ice and snow all over the windshield you are going to want to clean the windshield of the ice and snow manually and clear the wipers (that you have thoughtfully put in the snow mode so they are not solidly covered with ice where they cannot be reached in the cowl area) so they can freely operate. Your cold weather wiper defroster is of no use when the wipers are buried under 6 inches of ice under the cowl ...unless you want to wait a really long, long time.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-09-17 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-10-17, 07:50 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought it was only the passenger side that can be changed from summer to winter mode on a '13. Are you saying that both sides can pulled up in winter and pushed back down in summer?
Old 12-10-17, 08:02 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, when I push/pull on the passenger side wiper on my 2013 both of them change position.
Old 12-10-17, 09:38 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Got it. Thanks.
Old 12-11-17, 08:32 AM
Gs21
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JellyBean
You can thank me later but I just went outside, raised the driver's side blade while in summer mode (impossible to do on the passenger side unless done by an ape), then went to the passenger side and moved/slid both arms up to winter mode. There's no "locking mechanism". You're safe. 2013 4GS and doubt this system has changed in later model years.

I think maybe even after I cleaned off the ice and snow it was still frozen that's why I was having trouble pulling it up into winter mode because initially I was using a lot of force so that's why I was worried about it but its now working fine, I'll have to put it in winter mode before it starts snowing from now on so it doesn't freeze again, Thanks for the help

Last edited by Gs21; 12-11-17 at 08:41 AM.