GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dead battery after 2 years - again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 05:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by myLexus007
I'm having the same issue with my 2013 GS 450h CPO, and they wanted to charge me $600 to replace even though I had it for less than 6 months and less than 2000 miles. L/Certified for you! Is this the new business from Lexus?
Doesn't matter bad luck or not. Point is, Lexus is running away from the responsibility. So tell me, what the point of buying a L/Certified? Are you pre-paying services and loaner car for the next 2 years?
I'm holding my judgement until I hear more from them as they are discussing with the manager. But in term of "good will", if this situation is not, I don't know what is. Still under the CPO warranty, owe the car less than 6 months/2000 miles. What made me mad was the so called service advisor pulled information out of his *** and said the battery is 6 years old. It's a 2013, service date 6/2013, is he stupid? Also, when they sold as CPO, shouldn't they look at the battery 6 months ago and knew it was old?
Nobody is asking for anyone to pay for the "5 year-old" battery replacement. However, the point here is what do you considered as reasonable. If the vehicle is less than 6 months/2000 miles since purchase, and the selling points was "161 points check by L/Certified", it is fair to question and call out the dealership that the check wasn't as good as they claimed.

It is not like I bought this vehicle 5 years ago and now wanted something replace for free. The vehicle was last checked and certified on 6/2017, and it was sold based on that merit.
myLexus007 - Let me help you understand what is covered by the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned warranty, and what is NOT covered...

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned covers the cost of mechanical breakdown of the parts listed below after your vehicle’s Certified Warranty expires:

ENGINE
All internally lubricated components and: Air Control Valve (ACV); Air Pump; Balance Shaft; Camshaft; Crankcase Ventilation Valve; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Pulley; Cylinder Heads; Engine Block; Engine Mounts; Engine Oil Reservoir; Engine Oil Reservoir Pump; Equipment Drive Shaft; Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve; Exhaust Manifolds; Exhaust Manifold Heat Insulator; Exhaust Pipe Gasket; Flexplate; Flywheel; Idler Pulley; Intake Manifold; Mixture Control Valve; Oil Cooler; Oil Filter Bracket Subassembly; Oil Pan; Oil Pressure Switch; Oil Pump; Oil Sending Unit; Pair Valve (Reed Valve); Piston; Seals and Gaskets; Supercharger; Supercharger Bypass Valve; Supercharger Intercooler; Supercharger Relay; Tensioners; Thermal Vacuum Valve; Thermostatic Valve; Three-Way Catalyst Converter; Timing Belt; Timing Chain; Timing Cover; Timing Gears; Turbo Intercooler; Turbo Wastegate; Turbocharger; Vacuum Switch; Vacuum Switching Valve; Vacuum Transmitting Valve; Valve Covers; Water Pump

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Transfer Case Components (All internally lubricated components) and: Clutch Master Cylinder; Clutch Pedal Subassembly; Clutch Release Cylinder; Control Position Indicator Subassembly; Gears and Shafts; Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Master Cylinder Reservoir; Radial Ball Bearing (for Clutch Release) and/or Clutch Fork; Seals and Gaskets; Shift Lever Boot and/or Retainer; Shift Lever ****; Shift Linkage and Cables; Transfer/Transmission Case; Transmission Mounts

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Transfer Case Components (All internally lubricated components) and: Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Seals and Gaskets; Shift Lever ****; Shift Linkage and Cables; Solenoids; Torque Converter; Transfer/ Transmission Case; Transmission Mounts; Vacuum Modulator

AXLE ASSEMBLY
(Front, Rear, Four-wheel and All-wheel Drive): All internally lubricated components and: 4x4 Actuators; Axles and Bearings; Center Support Bearing; Constant Velocity Joints and Boots; Constant Velocity Boot Band; Differential Carrier Assembly; Drive Axle Housing; Drive Shaft; Hubs; Locking Hubs; Seals and Gaskets; Thrust Washers; Universal Joints; Viscous Coupling

SUSPENSION
(Front and Rear): Bushings/Bearings; Control Arm Shafts; Electronic Suspension Actuator/Motor and Compressor; Front and Rear Coil Springs; Front and Rear Stabilizer Bar; Front Leading Arm; Front Spring Assembly; Radius Arm; Spindle; Spindle Support; Suspension Spring Shackles; Steering Knuckle; Strut Rod; Sway Bar Link; Torsion Bar Spring; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Upper and Lower Control Arms; Upper Arm Shaft

STEERING
Gear Box internal components and: Bushings/Bearings; Center Link; Horn Contact Ring; Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Idler Arm; Knuckle Stopper Cover; Pitman Arm; Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Pump Pulley; Rack and Pinion; Seals and Gaskets; Steering Column; Steering Column Coupling; Steering Column Shaft; Steering Dampener; Steering Gear Box and Pump Housings; Tie Rod End

FUEL SYSTEM
Air Flow Meter; Carburetor; Charcoal Canister; Diesel Fuel Injection Pump; Electric Fuel Pump; Electronic Fuel Injection System; Fuel Filler Opening Lid Hinge Spring; Fuel Injectors; Fuel Pressure Regulator; Fuel Pump; Fuel Sending Unit; Fuel Sensors; Fuel Tank; Throttle Body

COOLING SYSTEM
Coolant Level Sensor/Tank; Cooling Fan Relay; Cooling Fan Sensor; Engine Coolant Temperature Switch or Sensor (at radiator); Engine Cooling Fan Motor; Engine Fan; Engine Fan Clutch; Engine Fan Motor; Engine Fan Shroud; Equipment Drive Pulley; Fan Bracket Subassembly; Radiator; Seals and Gaskets; Thermostat

AIR CONDITIONING/HEATING
Air Conditioning Heater Box Assembly; Air Conditioning Lines and Tubes; Air Conditioning Pressure Switches; Air Temperature Control Programmer; Blower Motor; Blower Motor Resistor; Compressor; Compressor Clutch Assembly; Compressor Pulley; Condenser; Condenser Fan and Motor; Cooler Control Switch; Damper Servo; Defroster Control Cable; Evaporator; Evaporator Temperature Sensor; Expansion Valve; Heater Control Head; Heater Control Valve; Heater Core; Idler Pulley; Pressure Regulator Assembly; Receiver/Dryer; Schrader Valve; Seals and Gaskets

BRAKES
Anti-Lock Braking/Traction Control Actuator, Pump and Motor; Brake Booster; Brake Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Brake Pedal Subassembly; Disc Brake Calipers; Load-Sensing Proportioning Valve; Master Cylinder; Parking Brake Cable; Parking Brake Control Handle Assembly; Parking Brake Lever Subassembly; Parking Brake Pedal Subassembly; Proportioning Valve; Rear Brake Backing Plate; Seals and Gaskets; Wheel Cylinders

HYBRID
Hybrid Vehicle Generator Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Motor Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Assembly; Transmission Input Damper Assembly; Actuator Assembly Shift Control; Battery Computer Assembly; Battery Current Sensor; Circuit Breaker Sensor; Combination Meter Assembly; Combination Meter Computer; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Blower Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Blower Motor Control; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Thermistor; Hybrid Vehicle Control Computer; Inverter Assembly with Converter; Main Switch Assembly; Power Source Control Computer Assembly; Power Steering Electronic Control Unit Assembly; Power Steering Gear Assembly; Shift Lever Position Sensor; Skid Control Computer Assembly; Steering Column Assembly; Transmission Control Module

ELECTRICAL
Alternator; Automatic-Off Headlamp Sensor, Timer and Switches; Automatic Shoulder Belt Motor and Switches; Automatic Temperature Control Unit; Battery to Ground Cable; Battery to Starter Cable; Blower Motor; Blower Motor Resistor; Charge Warning Relay; Clutch Starter Interlock Switch; Convertible Top Motor; Cruise Control Actuator/Servo; Cruise Control Sensors and Switches; Cruise Control Vacuum Motor; Defogger Relay; Distributor; Door Control Relay; Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge and Sending Unit; Engine Coolant Temperature Receiver Gauge and Sending Unit; Engine Cooling Fan Motor; Engine Tachometer; Fuel Gauge and Sending Unit; Fuel Receiver Gauge and Sending Unit; Guide Rail Limit Switch; Headlamp Washer; Headlight Control Relay; Horn; Horn (for theft deterrent); Ignition Coil; Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder and Key Set; Integration Relay; Lamp Failure Indicator Sensor; Lock Cylinder Set; Main Relay; Manually Operated Switches; Oil Pressure Receiver Gauge and Sending Unit; Power Antenna Motor and Cable; Power Door Lock Actuator; Power Mirror Defogger; Power Mirror Motor; Power Seat Motors; Power Sliding Door Motor; Power Window Motor/Regulator; Rear Shock Absorber Control Actuator; Retractable Headlamp Motor; Shoulder Belt Drive Motor; Smart Entry and Start System Switch, Sensor and Electronic Control Unit; Spark Plug Resistive Cord; Speedometer; Starter Motor; Starter Solenoid; Stop Light Switch; Sunroof Cables; Sunroof Motor; Taillight Control Relay; Turn Signal Flasher; Unlock Warning Buzzer; Windshield Washer Pump; Windshield Wiper Link Assembly; Wiper Control Relay; Wiper Motor; Wiring Harnesses

COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS
Airbags; Airbag Sensors; Antenna Cord; Anti-Lock Braking/Traction Control Computer and Sensors; Automatic Shoulder Belt Computer; Body Control Module; Circuit Opening Relay; Compact Disc (CD) Player; Cruise Control Computer; Electronic Ignition Unit; Electronically Controlled Transmission/Transfer Case Computer and Sensors; Electronically Modulated Suspension Computer; Engine Control Computer; Front Seat Airbag Assembly; Graphic Equalizer; Knock Sensor; Navigation System; Power Mirror Electronic Control Unit; Power Seat Computer; Progressive Power Steering Computer; Radio Tuner; Steering Sensor; Stereo Component Amplifier; Sunroof Control Computer and Relay; Tape Player; Tilt/Telescoping Steering Computer; Traction Control Computer; Trip Computer; Variable Induction System; Vehicle Security Computers and Sensor; Wiper Module

ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS
Accelerator Pedal and/or Bracket Subassembly; Accelerator Pedal Rod Assembly; Back Door Lock Assembly; Convertible Roof Hook; Door Handles; Door Lock Cylinder; Front and Rear Door Lock Assembly; Front Seat Belt; Glove Compartment Door Lock Cylinder; Glove Compartment Door Latch Subassembly; Hinges; Hood Lock Assembly; Hood Lock Control Cable Assembly; Hood Support Assembly; Rear Seat Belt; Reclining Seat Back Adjuster; Removable Roof Lock Handle; Seat Track Assembly; Shoulder Belt Guide Rail Assembly; Sliding Roof Drive Cable; Sliding Roof Guide Rail; Tail Gate Lock Assembly; Tilt Roof Lock Handle Assembly

THESE ARE THE ITEMS NOT COVERED:

Accessory Drive Belts; Batteries; Body Panels; Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Rotors and Drums; Bumpers; Carpet; Chrome; Clutch Friction Disc and Pressure Plate; Dash Cover and Pad; Door Fabric; Door Trim; Filters; Fluids; Glass (including Windshields); Headliner; Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Hoses; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack; Hybrid Vehicle Battery Plug Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly; Hybrid Vehicle Supply Battery Assembly; Interior and Exterior Trim and Moldings (including but not limited to: Ashtrays, Covers, Cup Holders, and Vents); Lamps, Light Assemblies/Housings, and Light Bulbs; Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers, and Fasteners; Paint; Rust and Corrosion Damage; Seat Covers; Sheet Metals; Shiny Metals; Spark Plugs; Structural Framework and Welds; Tires; Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes; Weather Stripping; Wheels and Rims; Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber component); All interior and exterior cloth, leather, and stitching including convertible tops and/or vinyl tops including but not limited to: any vibration, deterioration, discoloration, disfigurement, warping, fading, staining, stretching, ripping, punctures, tearing, and/or scratches

myLexus007 - Did you happen to notice that the second item NOT COVERED happens to be 'batteries'?

You purchased a used car that has used parts, some of which are covered under the warranty, and some are not...
Old 01-02-18, 05:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the dealer wants to charge you $600 to fix a car battery? Batteries are wear items and can die randomly. Happened to me a few times with batteries dying in under 3 years. Hell Walmart sells Everstart Maxx batteries with 5 year (3 year replacement and 2 years prorated) warranty for about $120. Install it yourself and get it over with.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-02-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 05:42 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the dealer wants to charge you $600 to fix a car battery? Buy it yourself for $120 and get it over with. Batteries are wear items and they can fail suddenly.
His car is a 2013 GS 450h, which has a different starter battery (compared to the GS 350) that is mounted in the trunk and has wiring for an onboard temperature sensor and requires the battery be vented via a vent hose. The OE specialized battery can be replaced with an Optima type battery and just re-use the temperature sensor from the old battery and abandon the vent hose...but that's a different story.
Old 01-02-18, 06:24 PM
KingRaptor
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 GS350 CPO in the south here. With the recent blast of real winter, my GS battery died. I went to the Lexus dealership where I bought it CPO 1.5 years ago and they looked up the record on the car. In service date was 12/2012 and OE battery replaced in Nov 2015. I had that replacement battery replaced today (Dec 2017). Because it was a little over two years, I only got the 50% prorated price. It came out to $105 and change. I waited 1.5 hours for them to change it. Next time, I'm going to Costco with their 3-year-warranty Interstate Batteries and switching it myself. Cheaper, less waiting, and better warranty.

Only bright note, I got Lexus coffee and cookies...
Old 01-03-18, 06:58 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=bclexus;10069592]I would not necessarily be concerned that the battery has needed to be replaced twice in 4 years. Lots of things determine how long a battery may last. Parking outside or in an unheated garage in the frigid winter temperatures, taking very short trips, etc., etc. Batteries go bad just like light bulbs burn out before they should. It happens! It's not all that uncommon for a battery to have a bad or shorted cell within a couple of years. That's why batteries come with warranties. Your fairly new battery should have warranty that is separate from the CPO warranty. Don't just think that your CPO warranty should cover everything! (Read your CPO warranty so you will know what is covered - and what is not covered.)

I never said I wanted them to cover my battery under CPO so you should probably re-read what I posted initially. I was just asking if I should be concerned that the battery had to be replaced twice in 4 years. I realize it's a wear and tear item that I'd have to pay for replacement.
For anyone that's interested they tested the battery and confirmed it is bad. I've had the TSB for the parasitic drain done already when I first got the car. They tested my "electrical system" and confirmed there's no issue. I only had to pay a pro-rated cost of $66 since it was just outside of the 2 yrs. Hopefully this battery won't die again in 2 years.
Old 01-03-18, 07:34 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

A Battery Tender is your friend! Use one whenever possible when not driving your car.
Old 01-03-18, 08:08 AM
nerv81
Driver

I have a battery tender which I was using while the battery was giving me issues to make sure it would start every morning. It's just not convenient for me to constantly connect it when I get home especially when I'm carrying my kid(s) into the house. My cars at least sit in the garage so they're not out in these single digit temps we've had lately. I always connect one when I go on vacation though.
Old 01-03-18, 08:56 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

I hear ya. Ya just never know with batteries, just sold my old Buick beater which still had the same battery in it when I got the car in 09. It was some cheap brand and it never had a charger on it. Bought a new Vette in 95 and was able to get 9 yrs. out of the original battery that always had a Tender on it. I changed it back then just due to the age of it.
Old 01-03-18, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nerv81
I bought a 2013 GS as a CPO in Jan 2015 so I've had the car for 2 years now. The battery has been giving me some issues with not starting. There is currently a Lexus battery with a 2015 sticker on which means the original batt was replaced after 2 years in and now 2 years later it needs to be replaced again (car is currently at the dealer and they're saying it looks like a bad cell but they're charging it to test again). So my question is, do they replace the batt under CPO certification even if there was no issue with it or should I be concerned that it's had to be replaced twice in 4 years?
Originally Posted by bclexus
I would not necessarily be concerned that the battery has needed to be replaced twice in 4 years. Lots of things determine how long a battery may last. Parking outside or in an unheated garage in the frigid winter temperatures, taking very short trips, etc., etc. Batteries go bad just like light bulbs burn out before they should. It happens! It's not all that uncommon for a battery to have a bad or shorted cell within a couple of years. That's why batteries come with warranties. Your fairly new battery should have warranty that is separate from the CPO warranty. Don't just think that your CPO warranty should cover everything! (Read your CPO warranty so you will know what is covered - and what is not covered.)

A Lexus #00544-MF240-575 battery has an 84 month warranty as follows:
0 to 24 Months - Free Exchange
25 to 48 Months - Prorated at 50% MSRP
49 to 84 Months - Prorated at 25% of MSRP
I would not necessarily be concerned that the battery has needed to be replaced twice in 4 years. Lots of things determine how long a battery may last. Parking outside or in an unheated garage in the frigid winter temperatures, taking very short trips, etc., etc. Batteries go bad just like light bulbs burn out before they should. It happens! It's not all that uncommon for a battery to have a bad or shorted cell within a couple of years. That's why batteries come with warranties. Your fairly new battery should have warranty that is separate from the CPO warranty. Don't just think that your CPO warranty should cover everything! (Read your CPO warranty so you will know what is covered - and what is not covered.)

► I never said I wanted them to cover my battery under CPO so you should probably re-read what I posted initially. I was just asking if I should be concerned that the battery had to be replaced twice in 4 years. I realize it's a wear and tear item that I'd have to pay for replacement.
For anyone that's interested they tested the battery and confirmed it is bad. I've had the TSB for the parasitic drain done already when I first got the car. They tested my "electrical system" and confirmed there's no issue. I only had to pay a pro-rated cost of $66 since it was just outside of the 2 yrs. Hopefully this battery won't die again in 2 years.
nerv81 - Nice twist on your own words! You may not have said that you wanted them to cover your battery under CPO, but what you DID ASK was; 'So my question is, do they replace the batt under CPO certification'...? You need to re-read what you posted since your recollection is wrong!

My response to your question (do they replace the batt under CPO certification?) was fair, accurate and precise; 'Your fairly new battery should have warranty that is separate from the CPO warranty. Don't just think that your CPO warranty should cover everything! (Read your CPO warranty so you will know what is covered - and what is not covered.).

Last edited by bclexus; 01-03-18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 10:21 AM
nerv81
Driver

nerv81 - Nice twist on your own words! You may not have said that you wanted them to cover your battery under CPO, but what you DID ASK was; 'So my question is, do they replace the batt under CPO certification'...? You need to re-read what you posted since your recollection is wrong!

My response to your question (do they replace the batt under CPO certification?) was fair, accurate and precise; 'Your fairly new battery should have warranty that is separate from the CPO warranty. Don't just think that your CPO warranty should cover everything! (Read your CPO warranty so you will know what is covered - and what is not covered.).
Simple math would help understand my question. I asked if they replace the batt under CPO certification because as I mentioned my batt is 2 years old and I purchased the car 2 years ago so I what I'm trying to figure out is IF they replaced the batt just because the car is CPO or if they only replace it if something is wrong. You're not helping with this post so unless you have something insightful to help someone who's looking for information please stop flooding this thread with petty internet bickering.
Old 01-03-18, 10:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Simple math would help understand my question. I asked if they replace the batt under CPO certification because as I mentioned my batt is 2 years old and I purchased the car 2 years ago so I what I'm trying to figure out is IF they replaced the batt just because the car is CPO or if they only replace it if something is wrong. You're not helping with this post so unless you have something insightful to help someone who's looking for information please stop flooding this thread with petty internet bickering.
Here is your answer: Lexus is NOT going to replace a 2 year-old battery (or a 5 year-old battery) on a CPO car if the battery checks out to be good with a load test. Lexus does NOT just replace a battery that tests good because it is a CPO vehicle. Hopefully that answer is clear, makes sense and is understandable to you. Does it?
Old 01-05-18, 09:12 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

my 2 year-old Lexus battery died couple of nights ago..

The car was sitting in a cold parking garage for 2 weeks and it was 5* F 11:30pm..

AAA drove by in 30 mins and gave me a jump.
Old 01-05-18, 09:19 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

FWIW, my battery died once but I think it was because I didn't close the door all the way and the lights were on for at least 24 to 48 hours as I don't drive everyday. I jumped it and so far it has not died again. 2013 GS350 bought in June of 2013.

I was worried too because on New Years, it was -18* at one point.
Old 01-05-18, 11:17 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
my 2 year-old Lexus battery died couple of nights ago..

The car was sitting in a cold parking garage for 2 weeks and it was 5* F 11:30pm..

AAA drove by in 30 mins and gave me a jump.
Originally Posted by praetor
FWIW, my battery died once but I think it was because I didn't close the door all the way and the lights were on for at least 24 to 48 hours as I don't drive everyday. I jumped it and so far it has not died again. 2013 GS350 bought in June of 2013.

I was worried too because on New Years, it was -18* at one point.
That low temperature is rough on batteries...but even more damaging to engines.

Battery makers recommend having the battery load tested once every year after the battery becomes two years old. National Tire & Battery (NTB) does this at no-charge...and can be done in their parking lot in just a couple of minutes. It's a good way to keep abreast of the health of your battery as it gets some age on it.

I believe the courtesy lights on the doors automatically go out after a minute or two so it doesn't drain the battery. I know my Lexus projector courtesy lights automatically go out after a minute or two...
Old 01-05-18, 12:04 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Lexus battery is made by Panasonic I believe. Short battery life can be caused by charging system issues too. Make sure charging system is working alright B4 installing replacement. This sort of things can be taken care of better by a specialty shop.

Quick Reply: Dead battery after 2 years - again?