GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Upgrading HD Audio to ML doable or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 02:27 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Upgrading HD Audio to ML doable or not?

I had another question ... I don't have the Mark Levinson system however after reading several topics over here I seemed to understand that only signals are send to the amp in the rear all other stuff happens there ...
- can sombody confirm the wire harnas and head unit are identical (except the logo off course)?
- I supose the speakers and amp are the difference ... are they interchangable?
- would it be something doable if I find a wracked gs to do a swap to my car?
- what if I only do the speakerswap (in case the head unit etc is different)?

case is ... I know a gs at a break yard ... with the ML system in :-) so kind of looking if this is a doable thing replacing the head unit is not an option as it has the bigger screen etc.
Old 01-10-18, 08:20 AM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Not worth it..id rather go aftermarket.

i have ML and it’s not impressive
The following users liked this post:
MikeLucky (01-10-18)
Old 01-10-18, 09:07 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

I have the HD Audio and had a look on the installed speakers in order to learn if it is easy to replace them with alternative. Mainly JBL has nowadays quit flexible universal speakers with lots of options for mounting. The HD audio system is not bad but I'm convinced if you would hook up just better speakers it would be a huge improvement. During the warmer days I might spend some time on looking at the options and also designing some converters/placeholders in order to be able to use universal 6x9 spekers in the front for example. It's funny to see how they made some form of round speakers in a 6x9 housing for the base system just because the ML system has 6x9 speakers . I think the biggest problem is a lack of tweeters in the front. From what I saw on pictures of other users I think

up on the dash I think these alternatives are kind of fitting and right size will have to measure exactly to make sure what fits best they are both 35 mm deep and 78 mm outside diameter however the internal cutout diameter is different
JBL-Harman-GTO-329-2-way (80 euro a pair) 79 mm cutout
JBL-Harman-CLUB-3020-2-way (55 euro a pair) 75.5 mm cutout

Then in the doors I think it should be possible from the pictures I saw to make some form of a adapter to fit. I was thinking the easy way (as they have a lot of predrilled holes) to go is
JBL-Harman-GTO-6429-2-way (100 euro a pair)
JBL-Harman-CLUB-6420-2-way (90 euro a pair)
However If I have to make an adapter anyway I prefer to go for something like:
JBL-Harman-GX963-3-weg they have better power rating but also a way better frequency range specially in the lower freq's however not sure if able to fit ... we will see after measuring everything

Rear doors would be a tough one ... leave as is or replace bysomething like
JBL-Harman-GX602-2-weg (85 euro a pair)
or
Some composet

The subwoofer I would leave in a first instance. Let's say for roughly 250 euro I would have quit a big speaker upgrade and the total frequency range of the speakers would be quit bigger.

I'm not sure it is worth all the efforts but in my opinion it would make quit a difference, if I want to do more upgrades the speakers are already in place ...
Old 01-10-18, 03:47 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
Not worth it..id rather go aftermarket.

i have ML and it’s not impressive
Completely agree. The ML in my ‘06 IS350 was way better than the one in my GS. I’d sink the money into a nice aftermarket setup and have much better sound with possibly cash to spare.
Old 01-11-18, 02:17 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Allright spring time project will be the investigation on changing the current speakers than :-) any thoughts on the JBL Harman speakers of the GTO and CLUB series?