GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 01:50 PM
warmdye
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alignment Questions

At 29,000 miles, I recently had a set of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus installed on my 2015 non-F sport RWD GS350 and had an alignment performed at a local tire shop. At speeds over 60 mph, the car required much more correction than before to keep it tracking straight and the the steering seemed hyper sensitive. I returned with this complaint to the same shop and they re-adjusted the alignment. The car does seem to track better now. I have attached the initial and second alignment sheets. I was expecting the "current measurements" on the initial sheet to be fairly close to the "before measurements" on the second sheet since they were both performed within 2 weeks . The toe settings were quite a bit different which makes me question either the equipment or the skill level of the technician(s). I have seen several different acceptable ranges for the right/left/ total toe on the internet but I haven't been able to locate the official Lexus values. I'd like to get your opinion on the final values on the second sheet, specifically the rear left/right/total toe. I did have 135 lbs of weight in the trunk (snow) during the second alignment which I didn't realize until after it was done which may explain the more negative camber in the back. I am considering taking this to the dealer or another shop to double check the alignment.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment Questions-img_20180116_0002.jpg   Alignment Questions-img_20180116_0003.jpg  

Last edited by warmdye; 01-16-18 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 03:39 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by warmdye
At 29,000 miles, I recently had a set of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus installed on my 2015 non-F sport RWD GS350 and had an alignment performed at a local tire shop. At speeds over 60 mph, the car required much more correction than before to keep it tracking straight and the the steering seemed hyper sensitive. I returned with this complaint to the same shop and they re-adjusted the alignment. The car does seem to track better now. I have attached the initial and second alignment sheets. I was expecting the "current measurements" on the initial sheet to be fairly close to the "before measurements" on the second sheet since they were both performed within 2 weeks . The toe settings were quite a bit different which makes me question either the equipment or the skill level of the technician(s). I have seen several different acceptable ranges for the right/left/ total toe on the internet but I haven't been able to locate the official Lexus values. I'd like to get your opinion on the final values on the second sheet, specifically the rear left/right/total toe. I did have 135 lbs of weight in the trunk (snow) during the second alignment which I didn't realize until after it was done which may explain the more negative camber in the back. I am considering taking this to the dealer or another shop to double check the alignment.
It looks like on the first set of measurements, all they did was center your steering wheel in front and equalized the toe in the rear. If you'd have changed just the alignment without the tires, I'd have expected you to only notice the steering wheel slightly more centered but at less than .1° it is hardly noticeable. I'd suspect the new tires are more to blame for your difference in road feel. New tires are taller, have more tread wiggle and can feel different than worn tires that are much more solid. That why performance tires (slicks especially) are very low tread depth.

Moving to your second alignment, I see a change from the first after and the second before. It looks like there was some movement between appointments. No huge potholes or anything? I do not see anything out of the ordinary. Often times a real pro will adjust the camber and toe to compensate for crowned roads if you don't spend much time on the Interstate. Generally, I like side to side to be within a 1/4° so your front camber is a little off for my tastes. Caster looks good but it will make for wheels want to self straighten more or cause turning resistance when speed sensitive steering. Your rear camber could also use a slight tweak but all in all, it shouldn't be too out of whack.

I'd probably recommend getting at least 500 miles on the tires, have them rebalanced if they feel any vibration and then check alignment if you haven't adjusted to the new tires.
The following users liked this post:
warmdye (01-17-18)