GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Painting lip vs non-painted

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 07:07 AM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Painting lip vs non-painted

Doing on of the first mod on my 2014 F Sport. Bought an unpainted Bayson R Replica Lexon lip from ebay. Decided to go with the replica as it will be my first lip and did not want to spend a lot of money on it. Have seen other people on the forum install the same lip and it looks pretty nice. Person who is installing the lip recommended that I do not paint it, he says paint will start cracking with time and its just not worth it. My personal mechanic (who is also a professional detailer, painter, body work) told me lip could be painted and it would not be an issue. Multiple people have painted their lip on this forum prior to installing it.
Have you guys had any issue with paint cracking? If so after how long? Any recommendations when it comes to painting it? Which paint will work best if doing it at home or should i just take it to a shop? I was going to have my mechanic paint it for me.
Old 01-22-18, 07:15 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a white GS and left it unpainted. I feel like it matches the rear diffuser (between the exhaust) area and ties in well because of it.
Old 01-22-18, 07:32 AM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Originally Posted by Patrick4GS
I have a white GS and left it unpainted. I feel like it matches the rear diffuser (between the exhaust) area and ties in well because of it.
Mine is also white. Would you mind posting a picture of your car?
Old 01-22-18, 07:38 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Edlcworld
Mine is also white. Would you mind posting a picture of your car?
I have the same lip on a white GS and left it unpainted. I agree it matches the rear diffuser but I have never seen someone paint this replica so I am curious. I'm intending on getting a carbon fiber Skipper style lip here shortly. You can see mine below:

The following users liked this post:
Edlcworld (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 07:48 AM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Looks about the same if I was to paint it matte black. Thank you for the pic, will be leaving lip as it is. Save myself a few bucks also . Love your rims
Old 01-22-18, 07:58 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Looks about the same if I was to paint it matte black. Thank you for the pic, will be leaving lip as it is. Save myself a few bucks also . Love your rims
Yeah if you were going matte black then definitely just leave it unpainted haha, not worth the money to look the same. Thanks, they're RC F-Sport rims. Now I just need to go ahead and get these coils so I can lower it...I can't stand the wheel gap!!!
Old 01-22-18, 08:21 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My front lip is unpainted also... i have Obsidian. Looks good
Old 01-22-18, 08:45 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Some of us also wrapped ours in vinyl wrap (sanded it to prep) with carbon fiber pattern or other colors in this thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-bumper-3.html
Edlcworld (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 05:29 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Would anyone possibly have pictures an unpainted rep lip on a Nebula Gray GS? I've looked at a lot of threads, and a majority of them were on the white or the black vehicles.
Old 01-23-18, 05:48 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,155 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
Would anyone possibly have pictures an unpainted rep lip on a Nebula Gray GS? I've looked at a lot of threads, and a majority of them were on the white or the black vehicles.
See the post by fellow member NebulaGrey in this thread for his Lexon replica lip: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-f-sport.html
Old 01-23-18, 06:50 AM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
Yeah if you were going matte black then definitely just leave it unpainted haha, not worth the money to look the same. Thanks, they're RC F-Sport rims. Now I just need to go ahead and get these coils so I can lower it...I can't stand the wheel gap!!!
Lowering the car a bit will be one of the next steps ! A little indecisive as I don't want to start having issues with it or having a stiffer ride. My cousin has the non f sport and it sits lower, very noticeable when parking next to each other. Makes me jealous every time

Good luck to you ! Hope to see pictures of when you do Your car looks great as it is !
JWBlakk (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 06:55 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AJLex19
See the post by fellow member NebulaGrey in this thread for his Lexon replica lip: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-f-sport.html
Cheers!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-18, 12:42 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Lowering the car a bit will be one of the next steps ! A little indecisive as I don't want to start having issues with it or having a stiffer ride. My cousin has the non f sport and it sits lower, very noticeable when parking next to each other. Makes me jealous every time

Good luck to you ! Hope to see pictures of when you do Your car looks great as it is !
One fun thing to bear in mind about lowering a GS.....

A metric crap ton of typical parking lot curbs/devices will JUST fit underneath the bumper of a GS at factory ride height. If you drop the car by even just a half an inch, you can probably kiss that goodbye. Not to mention it will likely screw up the "approach and departure angle" with some steep driveways and parking lot exits. It's easy to not think about these things until you're plunging down one of the stupid things and your car is bottoming out...

I thought a lot about lowering my car when I got it. Then I saw the leaking shocks and all that BS.... plus the clearance issues.

It's the type of thing I would do on a sunday/fun car but on a DD? no thanks. Way too much risk of damage (for me, personally).

-Mike
Old 01-23-18, 12:59 PM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drgrant
One fun thing to bear in mind about lowering a GS.....

A metric crap ton of typical parking lot curbs/devices will JUST fit underneath the bumper of a GS at factory ride height. If you drop the car by even just a half an inch, you can probably kiss that goodbye. Not to mention it will likely screw up the "approach and departure angle" with some steep driveways and parking lot exits. It's easy to not think about these things until you're plunging down one of the stupid things and your car is bottoming out...

I thought a lot about lowering my car when I got it. Then I saw the leaking shocks and all that BS.... plus the clearance issues.

It's the type of thing I would do on a sunday/fun car but on a DD? no thanks. Way too much risk of damage (for me, personally).

-Mike
I'm getting coils instead of springs so I don't cause a lot of damage to the suspension and I'm talking a subtle drop, maybe an inch at most. I've had lowered cars (lower than an inch) as dailys before so I know how to drive and park with a lowered car lol, although I will have to get used to it again. Also, the German cars (stock) are like almost an inch lower than the stock AWD GS which is unusually high but that's Toyota's thing I guess.
Old 01-25-18, 02:12 PM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Finally had lip installed ! Fitment was great , installer did not have any issues with getting it to fit. Love how it looks 😍. Only thing is I wish I could see it from far (20-30 feet away ). I was not present when he was installing it so it makes me think that he might have drilled too far back and thats why the lip does not stick out as much. Im also very OCD and pay too much attention to things. Here are some pictures! Let me know what you guys think , if its good like that?

Attached Thumbnails Painting lip vs non-painted-img_3321.jpg   Painting lip vs non-painted-img_3333.jpg   Painting lip vs non-painted-img_3334.jpg  

Quick Reply: Painting lip vs non-painted