GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rear Defogger not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 11:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by dwayne4lex
I don't always have the sunshade up when driving. Seems kind of off to not tint the back window with the other 4 windows tinted.
I've never heard of not tinting the rear window - regardless whether there is a rear window sunshade, or not.

I always tint the sunroof glass too - usually choosing to block even more light than I have on the windows.
Old 01-10-20, 05:58 PM
prech
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Sure I'm curious. Most likely they did some bodywork and unplugged some of the harness and forgot to plug it back.
Heading to trusty Tommy Boy at Music Box tomorrow. I'm sure he can find the wiring harness and won't charge me an arm and leg.
Tommy works on most of our Lexus here on CL in SoCal.
May I ask what your resolution was for this defogger issue? Hopefully not too complicated...

Thanks
Old 01-10-20, 06:18 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by prech
May I ask what your resolution was for this defogger issue? Hopefully not too complicated...

Thanks
Exactly as I thought. Whoever did the body work on my car forgot to plug in the harness. Harness for the rear defogger is on the driver side rear A pillar. just pop some clips, put your hand back there grab the harness and plug it back in, pretty easy to do. My rear defogger is working good now. Same issue with my rear trunk release, they forgot to plug in the harness. Fly-by-night auto body shop must have worked on the car. She's been abused but I'm slowly bringing her back to her glory.
Old 09-20-22, 07:25 PM
DrunkFuX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was having some issues with my rear defogger just noticed a few days ago... The upper grid of the glass doesn't seem to be working, lower is working perfectly fine. There is tint applied to my rear glass as well, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Now I'm not sure if the upper grid is even supposed to defrost under normal circumstances. My car does have the cold weather package which also has the front windshield deicer. I did try turning that on as well but didn't notice it turning on that upper rear grid...
Old 01-19-23, 12:34 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone knows where and how to get to the Rear Defogger wiring harness on 2015 GS 350?
My rear defogger doesn't work. Took it to dealer, they want $750 Diagnostic fee just to look at what the problem may be.
They said my car made have been in accident and they won't cover it under warranty.
I bought the car used without CPO. Carfax was clean and had my own mechanic check out everything.
No signs of any damage could be found.

I'm guessing some how the rear defogger plug may be loose or burn out. I do have Rear window tint.
Note that my side mirror defogger works just fine. Just back windshield doesn't work.
the reason might be is because whoever did your tint might sand it out since the defrost is not flat with the window so they have to flatten it in order to not get bubble with your tint later down the road, my installer actually called me and told me Lexus defrost not like other manufacturers and he would have to sand it out to get a better result but i refused and asked him to do his best to get it flat as possible without sand it out. That’s still a guess maybe you have different scenarios just wanted to give you a little hint
Old 11-18-23, 11:31 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Exactly as I thought. Whoever did the body work on my car forgot to plug in the harness. Harness for the rear defogger is on the driver side rear A pillar. just pop some clips, put your hand back there grab the harness and plug it back in, pretty easy to do. My rear defogger is working good now. Same issue with my rear trunk release, they forgot to plug in the harness. Fly-by-night auto body shop must have worked on the car. She's been abused but I'm slowly bringing her back to her glory.
Nice! Could you elaborate on how to pop the cover for the pillar (I assume you mean C pillar with the SRS airbag sign?)? Mine also isn't working all of a sudden and it's not looking like a relay or fuse problem since everything else is working fine.

Last edited by ChickenNug; 11-18-23 at 11:49 PM.