GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18 | 07:42 AM
islandbeef
Racer

I'm averaging about 21-22mpg on ECO mode. My work commute is about 27 miles total, about 75% freeway driving with no traffic (unless some a-hole staring at his smartphone decides to drive by braille and flips his car).

The older I get, the more I appreciate the Lexus "floaty" driving characteristics, especially during long drives.
Old 02-14-18 | 08:36 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by ReggieFish
My commute is 34 miles round-trip.

Yeah, it's one of those areas where there is a fine line. It's not a question of whether I can afford it, rather how do I feel about $750/yr vs $350/yr extra beyond the alternative car that is simply going up in fumes. I am willing to deal with the latter. Not so with the former.

The car I'm looking at is RWD.

Are you driving a RWD OR AWD?
Mine is AWD but every account I've heard of shows RWD only getting 1-2 mpg more, at best.

If the gas mileage thing is going to bother you though, definitely pick something else. Recently I just stopped even paying attention to the mileage on a regular basis, It's not really changing.

I mean I see where you're coming from- when I had bought my Camry V6 LE that car was all about the whole TCO thing. Ran on cheap gas. On a bad day I got 27 mpg average on the same commute I'm doing
now. On a good day it might be 28.7 . I got 30ish mpg once on that car going to Laguardia from Central MA and back (and I did it on one tank of gas!) Only had 16" wheels that kept the tire costs down. Bunch of other
stuff like that.

The thing is though is there's this whole cost/benefit thing. A car like a GS is more focused on like three things- driving experience, comfort, and reliability. There are a bunch of other cars in this class that probably get better gas mileage than the GS; like the Accord V6, a Camry SE/XSE etc V6, etc. But you're going to probably lose something WRT comfort or the way the car handles, etc. If things like road feel, and body roll, that kind of thing don't matter much to you, then you're probably better off with one of those two cars, or even an ES350. Most GS owners I know, punt their car around once in awhile (or all the time) and don't get too annoyed about how much gas they burned in the process. This is a smiles per gallon car not a miles per gallon one, lol. I mean obviously everyones tastes are different, etc. But I know a whole bunch of people that don't care about any of the stuff I just mentioned- and for that crowd of people, a car like a GS would be more of a burden to them than a benefit. Honestly at the last moment I thought about this myself- should I just get an XSE, but I've been looking at the GS for like 2 years... and after picking the car I'm glad that's the decision I went with. Not that the Camry would have been a bad car it just wouldn't have held a candle to this thing in how it performs.

-Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by drgrant:
islandbeef (02-16-18), jonathancl (02-15-18)
Old 02-14-18 | 10:53 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I'm averaging about 21-22mpg on ECO mode. My work commute is about 27 miles total, about 75% freeway driving with no traffic (unless some a-hole staring at his smartphone decides to drive by braille and flips his car).

The older I get, the more I appreciate the Lexus "floaty" driving characteristics, especially during long drives.
Exactly what I am talking about. Lexus drive is super comfy even though I am lowered, I feel like I am Matthew Mcconaughey in the lincoln commercials

Old 02-14-18 | 11:08 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Originally Posted by drgrant
Mine is AWD but every account I've heard of shows RWD only getting 1-2 mpg more, at best.

If the gas mileage thing is going to bother you though, definitely pick something else. Recently I just stopped even paying attention to the mileage on a regular basis, It's not really changing.

I mean I see where you're coming from- when I had bought my Camry V6 LE that car was all about the whole TCO thing. Ran on cheap gas. On a bad day I got 27 mpg average on the same commute I'm doing
now. On a good day it might be 28.7 . I got 30ish mpg once on that car going to Laguardia from Central MA and back (and I did it on one tank of gas!) Only had 16" wheels that kept the tire costs down. Bunch of other
stuff like that.

The thing is though is there's this whole cost/benefit thing. A car like a GS is more focused on like three things- driving experience, comfort, and reliability. There are a bunch of other cars in this class that probably get better gas mileage than the GS; like the Accord V6, a Camry SE/XSE etc V6, etc. But you're going to probably lose something WRT comfort or the way the car handles, etc. If things like road feel, and body roll, that kind of thing don't matter much to you, then you're probably better off with one of those two cars, or even an ES350. Most GS owners I know, punt their car around once in awhile (or all the time) and don't get too annoyed about how much gas they burned in the process. This is a smiles per gallon car not a miles per gallon one, lol. I mean obviously everyones tastes are different, etc. But I know a whole bunch of people that don't care about any of the stuff I just mentioned- and for that crowd of people, a car like a GS would be more of a burden to them than a benefit. Honestly at the last moment I thought about this myself- should I just get an XSE, but I've been looking at the GS for like 2 years... and after picking the car I'm glad that's the decision I went with. Not that the Camry would have been a bad car it just wouldn't have held a candle to this thing in how it performs.

-Mike
"Smiles Per Gallon"
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one, Mike. With gas prices going way up (we get shafted on gas here in SoCal), the smiles and satisfaction I get overrule everything else. I did my time with econo-hybrids and Euro brands, time to treat myself a little.
Life is short.
Old 02-14-18 | 11:20 AM
ReggieFish
Rookie

stuff like that.

-Mike

Solid breakdown. Sounds like a conversation I've been having inside my head for the past 2 month.

Another consideration is I can get this GS (luxury, ML) for just under $31000. If I just got a premium maybe as low as $27000. These are cars that will have undergone the biggest part of their depreciation.

The new Accord that I'm considering is probably $32000 if I do a bang up job on the negotiations. Then it will depreciate like crazy over the next 3 years. And though Honda is an outstanding brand(I'm currently still driving the same accord I purchased out of college nearly 18 years ago, 235,000 miles with out any issue) I would approach any complete redesign(new engine/transmission) with trepidation.

I'll s*** or get off the pot at some point.
Old 02-14-18 | 05:02 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JakeAaron
Hey how’s it going everyone. Just wanna get some input from you all. I bought a 2014 GS 350 f sport last Friday with 53,000 miles on it. Broken in and everything clearly..yet since my last refuel when leaving the dealership I’m averaging 15.7-15.9 mpg in the city, completely babying the gas. Literally crawling. I know estimates can sometimes be exaggerated in regards to mpg on the factory spec sheets but I feel like mine is kinda outta bounds and unacceptable. Is anyone else getting these results, or is something possibly up with the car? Maybe a computer issue calculating mileage wrong or some part needing fixing? I’m trying to make sense of it all because I just don’t see anyone else getting that low of mileage on these threads or any for that matter. I live at the beach in North Carolina and it’s 50 out right now. Completely flat since it’s the beach so no hills...Had I known that it would be this low I woulda reconsidered. I’m hoping it’s something that just needs a little fixing and not anything permanent. Any input would be greatly appreciated
If you want a GS and good gas mileage, get the GS 200t/300 or 450h. The GS 200t/300 costs less than the 350 while the 450h costs more than the 350. The 200t/300 has about 50 hp less than the 350 but I have never found my car (2016 GS 200t) wanting for more hp in any situation. I am averaging over 30 mpg in everyday mixed city/hwy driving. The only thing I would have liked is the availability of luxury package in the 200t/300.
Old 02-14-18 | 08:19 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Ive had my car for over a month now, im working like crazy and doing almost all highway driving. Getting 27mpg with winter gas up here while using cruise control. If i use my lead foot it goes down significantly and i cant speak of city mpg since ive barely done any city driving.
Old 02-15-18 | 12:21 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Eco/Normal/S/S+ is my favorite option in the car. If I want aggressive and stiff, just dial it up. If I want modest and comfy, dial it back.

Originally Posted by djrabbi
I feel like I am Matthew Mcconaughey in the lincoln commercials
I've been driving a Lexus since...well since the rest of my life began.
I didn't do it because they paid me, didn't do it to be cool, didn't do it because my old Camry lacked sex appeal.
I just like having a beautiful well engineered performance machine that never lets me down.

Alright...

Last edited by jonathancl; 02-15-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-15-18 | 08:04 PM
hiyabuddy
Driver School Candidate

I used to worry about gas mileage. I was quite **** about using the fuel computer, fuel injector cleaner, etc. Don't pay attention to the MPG stats on the window sticker and the specs if you're doing mostly city driving and going less than 65 more than half the time. I live and drive around the Boston Metro area (Cambridge/Somerville/Medford) and occasionally drive in Boston proper. I pretty much average a weekly trip to the gas station to fill up from a "low fuel" light to full. In the winter it might be every 3 or 4 days if I have to run the heat. I drive my car on normal because it feels a bit neutered on eco and rarely sport if I feel like experiencing these beautiful New England roads in the winter. I have the same exact model ( 2014 Ultra White with Cabernet) and I love it. I get maybe 11.4 MPG according to the computer (2 MPG better than my dad's 2014 full sized pickup truck with a 5.3 liter V8)
Old 02-15-18 | 11:11 PM
Superman60
Pole Position

I have Toyota Tundra 5.7 V-8, so I feel like I'm in a gas sipper when I drive the 350 compared to my Tundra
Old 02-16-18 | 07:18 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

stuff like that.

-Mike
well said. I would be bored as hell driving a Camry. I had a 2013 GS 350 in late 2012. It was a lease and I had to get out of it early in order to qualify for a home loan. So I bought a used Acura RL. The RL was OK, but once I was in a position to get back into a GS I bought a 2014 F Sport with ML audio (last fall).

Ive driven everything out there, I’ve leased so many cars over the last 15 years, Acura, Infiniti, BMW...hands down the GS F Sport is my favorite car. Nothing beats it, in my opinion. Life is short.

I like the Smiles Per Gallon comment. So true.
The following 2 users liked this post by GS350MIKE:
corpnupe85 (02-17-18), islandbeef (02-16-18)
Old 02-17-18 | 06:45 AM
corpnupe85
Driver

Reggie Fish - If you are concerned about fuel mileage don't get the GS, you may want to purchase an ES 350. It uses regular unleaded gas and get better mileage.
Old 02-17-18 | 10:06 AM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by corpnupe85
Reggie Fish - If you are concerned about fuel mileage don't get the GS, you may want to purchase an ES 350. It uses regular unleaded gas and get better mileage.
What kind of mileage do you get?

Hwy/City?

Are you an aggressive driver?

Mine will be primarily a highway cruiser to and from work. I rarely drive in town.
Old 02-17-18 | 10:14 AM
corpnupe85
Driver

Reggie Fish - The Gas mileage on a GS is not very good. It is a sports oriented vehicle and not a hybrid. I get 17.9 mpg in the city and 25 or 26 mpg on the highway. I did not purchase the vehicle because it is a good vehicle for fuel economy, because it is not. Based on your posts, you would be better off with a 4 cyl Honda Accord or Toyota Camry to achieve the fuel economy that you are looking for. Because, I don't need a 'sports oriented' vehicle anymore, I am looking purchase a 2018 RX 350 in a few months.
The following users liked this post:
ReggieFish (02-17-18)
Old 02-17-18 | 11:20 AM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Originally Posted by corpnupe85
Reggie Fish - The Gas mileage on a GS is not very good. It is a sports oriented vehicle and not a hybrid. I get 17.9 mpg in the city and 25 or 26 mpg on the highway. I did not purchase the vehicle because it is a good vehicle for fuel economy, because it is not. Based on your posts, you would be better off with a 4 cyl Honda Accord or Toyota Camry to achieve the fuel economy that you are looking for. Because, I don't need a 'sports oriented' vehicle anymore, I am looking purchase a 2018 RX 350 in a few months.
Fuel economy is PART of the equation for me. It is by no means the biggest factor. If it was I wouldn't be considering a GS, nor would I consider an accord with the most powerful available engine.

I am aware there is a trade off when someone owns a heavy, performance oriented vehicle. I'm trying to determine if the performance/ride/fuel economy/seating/technology/stereo/reliability/etc are an appropriate mix for my needs and wants.

What I would love to avoid is buying a car im genuinely excited about only to see im getting 20 mpg as I go down the highway unimpeded.

I'm coming from a 2000 Accord V6 which according to EPA estimates gets 28Hwy and 20city. Not sure what my actual numbers were. I fill up about every 9 days (306 miles during that period).

The real world numbers you are reporting are the type I could live with.

Last edited by ReggieFish; 02-17-18 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 GS350 F Sport