GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:22 PM
JakeAaron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GS350 F Sport

Hey how’s it going everyone. Just wanna get some input from you all. I bought a 2014 GS 350 f sport last Friday with 53,000 miles on it. Broken in and everything clearly..yet since my last refuel when leaving the dealership I’m averaging 15.7-15.9 mpg in the city, completely babying the gas. Literally crawling. I know estimates can sometimes be exaggerated in regards to mpg on the factory spec sheets but I feel like mine is kinda outta bounds and unacceptable. Is anyone else getting these results, or is something possibly up with the car? Maybe a computer issue calculating mileage wrong or some part needing fixing? I’m trying to make sense of it all because I just don’t see anyone else getting that low of mileage on these threads or any for that matter. I live at the beach in North Carolina and it’s 50 out right now. Completely flat since it’s the beach so no hills...Had I known that it would be this low I woulda reconsidered. I’m hoping it’s something that just needs a little fixing and not anything permanent. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-13-18, 06:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

What you are experiencing is very typical for stop-n-go city driving.
Old 02-13-18, 06:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I’m at 15.2 currently. I average a bit better in the summer. Mileage kind of stinks on short trips and around town but does great on the highway.
Old 02-13-18, 09:47 PM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I’m at 15.2 currently. I average a bit better in the summer. Mileage kind of stinks on short trips and around town but does great on the highway.

I know there are several threads on this, but I'm always looking to collect more data. I've found a 2015 luxury with low miles and ML. It is the car I want. I am deciding between this and a new accord touring. I realize they are 2 very different cars. The biggest strikes against the Lexus is the infotainment and fuel economy as far as I can tell. The accord is solid, great infotainment (2018), but is in the first year of a complete redesign, has a terrible stereo, and wont be as fun to drive when the mood strikes, along with not being as refined.

My driving will probably be 75% hwy 25% city. Probably higher than 75% hwy as once I get out my neighborhood, I drive 45 mph for 5 miles (i live in a rural area) with one stop sign before I get on the interstate. Once off the interstate it's probably only a 1/4 mile to my office.

With that said what is your hwy mpg?
Old 02-13-18, 11:02 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeAaron
Hey how’s it going everyone. Just wanna get some input from you all. I bought a 2014 GS 350 f sport last Friday with 53,000 miles on it. Broken in and everything clearly..yet since my last refuel when leaving the dealership I’m averaging 15.7-15.9 mpg in the city, completely babying the gas. Literally crawling. I know estimates can sometimes be exaggerated in regards to mpg on the factory spec sheets but I feel like mine is kinda outta bounds and unacceptable. Is anyone else getting these results, or is something possibly up with the car? Maybe a computer issue calculating mileage wrong or some part needing fixing? I’m trying to make sense of it all because I just don’t see anyone else getting that low of mileage on these threads or any for that matter. I live at the beach in North Carolina and it’s 50 out right now. Completely flat since it’s the beach so no hills...Had I known that it would be this low I woulda reconsidered. I’m hoping it’s something that just needs a little fixing and not anything permanent. Any input would be greatly appreciated
What kind of traffic are you in? If your bogged down in city garbage most of the time, this is typical. If I have a weekend of "local bullcrap" where I fill up, and then never see a highway for 2 days, getting an after refueling value of like 16-18 mpg is typical.
Old 02-13-18, 11:11 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ReggieFish
I know there are several threads on this, but I'm always looking to collect more data. I've found a 2015 luxury with low miles and ML. It is the car I want. I am deciding between this and a new accord touring. I realize they are 2 very different cars. The biggest strikes against the Lexus is the infotainment and fuel economy as far as I can tell. The accord is solid, great infotainment (2018), but is in the first year of a complete redesign, has a terrible stereo, and wont be as fun to drive when the mood strikes, along with not being as refined.

My driving will probably be 75% hwy 25% city. Probably higher than 75% hwy as once I get out my neighborhood, I drive 45 mph for 5 miles (i live in a rural area) with one stop sign before I get on the interstate. Once off the interstate it's probably only a 1/4 mile to my office. With that said what is your hwy mpg?
I do like 80% highway and my avg on good traffic days is 21-23 mpg. On bad days (lots of stop and go traffic) it can go down to 19.
21 mpg is a number that keeps coming back again and again with great frequency. My commute is like 37.5 miles each way. I also run my tires a little hard compared to the plate spec. (like 38 cold).

Highest highway mileage I ever scored with this car was like 24.6, but that's literally after fueling up and getting on a highway 20 seconds later and driving for a couple of hours into CT...

This is not a fuel saving vehicle regardless. (I joke that 2GR-FSE, the FSE stands for Fuel Sucking Engine ) If fuel economy is a big deal you're better off looking at something else. On the other hand you have to ask yourself whether it's actually a big deal or not- Calculate scenarios based on annual fuel use etc and see where the numbers come up. How long is your total commute in each direction?

Like my current use rate is about 20K miles a year. After I do the math it's about $2900 in premium gas at current prices. Of course it helps that I get $90 fees I collect on my 2nd job (basically this is what I charge just to show up) I easily clock in 2000+ bucks on that after taxes every year, probably more. So the fuel cost doesn't concern me too much (because I made other people pay for it, lmao) although it was nice with my Camry pumping the 87 in there and getting 28 all the time... but not nearly as fun to drive. Not even close.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 02-13-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 04:42 AM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
I do like 80% highway and my avg on good traffic days is 21-23 mpg. On bad days (lots of stop and go traffic) it can go down to 19.
21 mpg is a number that keeps coming back again and again with great frequency. My commute is like 37.5 miles each way. I also run my tires a little hard compared to the plate spec. (like 38 cold).

Highest highway mileage I ever scored with this car was like 24.6, but that's literally after fueling up and getting on a highway 20 seconds later and driving for a couple of hours into CT...

This is not a fuel saving vehicle regardless. (I joke that 2GR-FSE, the FSE stands for Fuel Sucking Engine ) If fuel economy is a big deal you're better off looking at something else. On the other hand you have to ask yourself whether it's actually a big deal or not- Calculate scenarios based on annual fuel use etc and see where the numbers come up. How long is your total commute in each direction?

Like my current use rate is about 20K miles a year. After I do the math it's about $2900 in premium gas at current prices. Of course it helps that I get $90 fees I collect on my 2nd job (basically this is what I charge just to show up) I easily clock in 2000+ bucks on that after taxes every year, probably more. So the fuel cost doesn't concern me too much (because I made other people pay for it, lmao) although it was nice with my Camry pumping the 87 in there and getting 28 all the time... but not nearly as fun to drive. Not even close.

-Mike
My commute is 34 miles round-trip.

Yeah, it's one of those areas where there is a fine line. It's not a question of whether I can afford it, rather how do I feel about $750/yr vs $350/yr extra beyond the alternative car that is simply going up in fumes. I am willing to deal with the latter. Not so with the former.

The car I'm looking at is RWD.

Are you driving a RWD OR AWD?
Old 02-14-18, 04:44 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeAaron
It is a big, heavy, rear wheel drive car with lots of running gear to move. If you want to be sure you are babying it, put it in eco mode and watch the cluster display on economy or instant MPG mode. Keep that display up and on the infotainment, monitor the recent MPG graph.

Of course this is not the kind of car you buy for hypermiling but it can make a difference. My 2013 AWD GS is getting 16-17MPG in town but I rarely sit in traffic and will take a side street to keep moving instead of stopping at a major intersection. On the road, back roads and interstate, I'm getting 26.5MPG.
Old 02-14-18, 05:07 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

'13 F-Sport here, when I bought the car in December I had 26 MPG on the 3hr drive home, now since it's my daily and I drive strictly in the city it's gone down to 20.2 MPG. Rarely any traffic except stop-and-go at the lights.
Old 02-14-18, 05:48 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

When I moved from NJ to NC, it did about 375 on highway with me stretching it at E for a good 20min. I think I was averaging around 21-22MPG highway even though Lexus estimates it at 29 highway! I don't know how others are getting 400+ but yeah this car does suck on gas but it is comfortable to drive vs its competitors.
Old 02-14-18, 05:50 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

OP: Nothing wrong with your GS. I'm regularly getting 13-15mpg in exclusively city driving with my AWD GS350. The car is def. much better on the highway where I typically get around 22mpg.
Old 02-14-18, 05:53 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJLex19
OP: Nothing wrong with your GS. I'm regularly getting 13-15mpg in exclusively city driving with my AWD GS350. The car is def. much better on the highway where I typically get around 22mpg.
About the same here. Sad that my V8 Benz would give better mileage than this car
Old 02-14-18, 06:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ReggieFish
My commute is 34 miles round-trip.

Yeah, it's one of those areas where there is a fine line. It's not a question of whether I can afford it, rather how do I feel about $750/yr vs $350/yr extra beyond the alternative car that is simply going up in fumes. I am willing to deal with the latter. Not so with the former.

The car I'm looking at is RWD.

Are you driving a RWD OR AWD?
If mpg is your concern just get a 450h. I average about 30 mpg in mixed driving and 36 on the highway on long trips in eco mode. Also the car goes all electric at low speeds and when you stop.

it's RWD, but performs very well in the snow bacause the battery pack is right over the rear axle. I drove from nc to va in a snow storm with snow still on the road. Was passing trucks and suv's the entire time. Car was very stable and traction control would set you straight when you slip.
Old 02-14-18, 06:12 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
About the same here. Sad that my V8 Benz would give better mileage than this car
Ain't that the truth - my old GS430 got similar gas mileage compared to my current GS but that old car had much more torque with great pull throughout the entire RPM range. I seriously considered a GS450h but couldn't do it because of its premium price and its lack of AWD.
Old 02-14-18, 06:14 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Ain't that the truth - my old GS430 got similar gas mileage compared to my current GS but that old car had much more torque with great pull throughout the entire RPM range. I seriously considered a GS450h but couldn't do it because of its premium price and its lack of AWD.
I was pushing close to 600whp/650wtq on the CLS with god awful tire spin. Lexus is very comfortable to drive, sometimes I feel like dozing off haha

Quick Reply: 2014 GS350 F Sport