GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 11:09 AM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question oil consumption

I'm on an extended trip from Canada,touring Texas and Southern states.Putting lots of miles on but having trouble checking oil level with the dip stick,no clear mark.Question-is there a low level oil warning on these gs350s?I have added a quart but do not want to over fill.
Old 02-14-18, 11:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Fresh oil is sometimes hard to see on the dipstick. Allow the engine to be off for 5-10 minutes and check the level. You may want to try to wet the dipstick with water or windshield washer fluid before re-inserting it into the dipstick tube - that will sometimes provide a better 'read' on where the oil level is.

It is very doubtful that your engine is consuming any oil...likely no more than ¼ quart in 10,000 miles. If you have added a full quart, chances are good that you have overfilled it 'if' whoever changed your oil last time put in the correct amount ...which leads to the question - who did your last oil/filter change? Was it a Lexus dealership? Or, some quick oil change place that hires high school dropouts, drug addicts and delinquents?
Old 02-14-18, 11:34 AM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Fresh oil is sometimes hard to see on the dipstick. Allow the engine to be off for 5-10 minutes and check the level. You may want to try to wet the dipstick with water or windshield washer fluid before re-inserting it into the dipstick tube - that will sometimes provide a better 'read' on where the oil level is.

It is very doubtful that your engine is consuming any oil...likely no more than ¼ quart in 10,000 miles. If you have added a full quart, chances are good that you have overfilled it 'if' whoever changed your oil last time put in the correct amount ...which leads to the question - who did your last oil/filter change? Was it a Lexus dealership? Or, some quick oil change place that hires high school dropouts, drug addicts and delinquents?
Yes dealership (never again what a rip off)I will try your tip to get a better read.Is ther a low level warning?my beemer had a very good system for checking oil,with a warning for 1Qt top up and no dip stick!
Old 02-14-18, 11:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, there is a low engine oil level 'idiot light' on the instrument cluster, but I do not know at what [low] oil level the warning indicator comes On at.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-14-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 12:05 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMBLER2
Yes dealership (never again what a rip off)I will try your tip to get a better read.Is ther a low level warning?my beemer had a very good system for checking oil,with a warning for 1Qt top up and no dip stick!

No dip stick means it's a "very good system" !??? what ????

Are you wiping off the dip stick before you take the reading? It should be pretty easily visible under light. Try doing it outside in the sun.
Old 02-14-18, 02:00 PM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
No dip stick means it's a "very good system" !??? what ????

Are you wiping off the dip stick before you take the reading? It should be pretty easily visible under light. Try doing it outside in the sun.
Yes good system, can always know what the oil level is and indication when a top up is required before it is critical.Low milage Beemer but did need topping up before next oil change.Ok good to know that there is an idiot light thanks.Yes I am wiping off the stick but it smears for some reason,leaving no clear line.I have owned lots of cars and never had this problem.
Old 02-14-18, 02:19 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Yes good system, can always know what the oil level is and indication when a top up is required before it is critical.Low milage Beemer but did need topping up before next oil change.Ok good to know that there is an idiot light thanks.Yes I am wiping off the stick but it smears for some reason,leaving no clear line.I have owned lots of cars and never had this problem.
First, is the car off and has sat for at least a few minutes on flat, level ground?

Second, what does the oil look like on a paper towel when you wipe the stick off?

If you wipe the stick, reinsert and promptly remove the stick, I've never had a problem reading the oil level, assuming oil is actually on the stick.

If you've added a quart too much, you probably haven't hurt anything as long as the crank stays out of the oil. These things hold more than 6 qts so 1 qt low would not worry me unless I was running it at high RPM for extend periods.
Old 02-14-18, 06:34 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

i also have this problem..it is very hard to see the oil level on this car lol
mine also "smears" when pulling it out to check like the op said..

you just have to look very closely at the dip stick.

i guess our oil is just too new.
Old 02-14-18, 06:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The dipstick tube is angled such that the oil on the dipstick wipes off on the inside of the tube and smears on the dipstick, making it difficult to 'read' the level of the oil. To overcome this, pull the dipstick out of the tube as soon as the engine is turned Off and wipe it clean - then wait at least 3 minutes before inserting the dipstick back into the tube and pulling it out to check the oil level. This will allow enough time for the hot oil that was on the inside of the tube to drain back down the tube so it will not smear as easily on the dipstick. The smearing will then be minimized because the smearing will only be from pulling the dipstick out, not from both inserting it and then pulling it back out.

Also, wetting the cleaned off dipstick with water (or windshield washer fluid that is nearby under the hood) helps improve the 'read' of the oil level...because oil and water don't mix, thus there is a separation of the two fluids.
The following users liked this post:
maveriCK.. (02-15-18)
Old 02-16-18, 03:16 AM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Yes, there is a low engine oil level 'idiot light' on the instrument cluster, but I do not know at what [low] oil level the warning indicator comes On at.

It is for low pressure,so too late when that comes on I think.
Old 02-16-18, 06:14 AM
TCH2FLY
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

sorry that is pressure not level
It is for low pressure,so too late when that comes on I think.
you are exactly right, when you see that you should be prepared to spend $$$$. I can’t count the number of times I had customers tow cars into the shop saying “ it should be ok the light just came on “ only find a blown engine
Old 02-16-18, 12:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY

sorry that is pressure not level

Correct - a wavy line underneath the oil can means the engine oil is low. However, I am not sure that the Lexus GS 350 has such a warning indicator.

The link below provides the Lexus IS Warning Lights. In looking at the GS 350 warning lights I do not see this oil can in yellow (meaning it is a 'reminder' to get the car serviced), nor do I see the oil can with a wavy line underneath the oil can (meaning the engine oil is low). I have to assume there is likely no indicator warning light for the engine oil being low.

Lexus IS Warning Lights

Engine Oil

This is the oil pressure engine light. If you have a wavy line underneath the oil can, it means the engine oil is low. Stop the vehicle, turn it off, and check your oil. You never want to drive with low engine oil. If there is a warning in yellow that says "OIL LEVEL," this is a reminder to get the car serviced.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-16-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 04:22 PM
TCH2FLY
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about other years but my 2017 GS the low oil level is under master warnings and uses simple text
Attached Thumbnails oil consumption-19c58ec6-0811-492c-9d33-776d08dff840.jpeg  
Im2bz2p345 (04-01-18)
Old 02-17-18, 04:45 PM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TCH2FLY
Not sure about other years but my 2017 GS the low oil level is under master warnings and uses simple text
Thank you very much,it shows the same info in my 2015 manual.
Im2bz2p345 (04-01-18)
Old 03-31-18, 07:28 PM
RAMBLER2
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much,it shows the same info in my 2015 manual.
I now have an accurate way to measure oil level,clear plastic tube cut to length.The inside gives a clear mark.So having topped up with a Qt of oil 5000km ago the engine is slightly overfilled.Conclusion is that over 10,000km the engine has used very little oil,and the overfill has not been a problem.