GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 05:33 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GS350 Purchase Advice

I'm interested in two 2015 models. One is a silver F-Sport with black leather, optioned with the ML audio system, has 33K miles and reduced to $33,950. The second option is a non-F-Sport model, premium audio, dark gray exterior with light gray interior, and only has 26K miles on it. This one is reduced to $30,950. The car will be my daily driver where my commute is 80 miles round trip on the toll expressway (read: steady 50mph vs. stop and go traffic). Which one should I go with? I owned a 2003 GS430 in the past and loved it, I'm not a speed enthusiast, but I also don't want to feel like I'm constantly floating down the road if that helps.

Thanks,
Old 02-16-18, 05:54 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson
I'm interested in two 2015 models. One is a silver F-Sport with black leather, optioned with the ML audio system, has 33K miles and reduced to $33,950. The second option is a non-F-Sport model, premium audio, dark gray exterior with light gray interior, and only has 26K miles on it. This one is reduced to $30,950. The car will be my daily driver where my commute is 80 miles round trip on the toll expressway (read: steady 50mph vs. stop and go traffic). Which one should I go with? I owned a 2003 GS430 in the past and loved it, I'm not a speed enthusiast, but I also don't want to feel like I'm constantly floating down the road if that helps.

Thanks,
I think it boils down to your budget and preference. The mileage difference isn't significant enough to make a huge impact on your decision. I too owned a GS430 (those are great cars) with 16" OEM wheels and that car was a "floater" compared to my current non F sport. I highly recommend that you test drive both vehicles for more than 5 minutes along a nice stretch of road. For me, the F-sport variants I test drove felt too "rough" but I was coming from the cushy, floaty ride of a 2GS. To me, the premium 4GS version felt like a great compromise between price, features and ride.

If they are both certified, the better value in this case is the F-Sport because it has a host of additional features that will be missing from the cheaper car (the ML, the adjustable driver seat settings, better brakes). If you like the styling and the way it drives and you could negotiate down to closer to $32,000, the F-Sport is the one to go with. Keep in mind that brakes, rotors and tires are bit more expensive to maintain on the F-sport RWD models. Also, if they've been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while, the dealers should be very motivated to make a deal and get them out the door so use that to your negotiating advantage.

Good luck and know that you won't be disappointed with either car!

Last edited by AJLex19; 02-16-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 06:20 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayson

Thanks,
i do like the ML system but the nebula gray with light grey interior would be nice. Did you drive both? Im pretty sure both versions will be very similar and i think they drive the same (provided you have the variable suspension non fsport model) the fsport has upgraded brakes. Honestly i think they are so close it doesnt matter go with whatever you like the most.
Old 02-16-18, 06:33 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I think it boils down to your budget and preference. The mileage difference isn't significant enough to make a huge impact on your decision. I too owned a GS430 (those are great cars) with 16" OEM wheels and that car was a "floater" compared to my current non F sport. I highly recommend that you test drive both vehicles for more than 5 minutes along a nice stretch of road. For me, the F-sport variants I test drove felt too "rough" but I was coming from the cushy, floaty ride of a 2GS. To me, the premium 4GS version felt like a great compromise between price, features and ride.

If they are both certified, the better value in this case is the F-Sport because it has a host of additional features that will be missing from the cheaper car (the ML, the adjustable driver seat settings, better brakes). If you like the styling and the way it drives and you could negotiate down to closer to $32,000, the F-Sport is the one to go with. Keep in mind that brakes, rotors and tires are bit more expensive to maintain on the F-sport RWD models. Also, if they've been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while, the dealers should be very motivated to make a deal and get them out the door so use that to your negotiating advantage.

Good luck and know that you won't be disappointed with either car!
non fsport cars can have these options as well, need to run the vins and see what it all has. As far as i know the only differences between a maxed out non fsport and an fsport is the appearance package, bigger brakes and wheels, variable gear ration steering
Old 02-16-18, 07:03 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

It comes down to your preference in looks. I personally think the Fsport has aged and will continue to age much better than the non-F.
Old 02-16-18, 07:06 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Brother, get the silver one. Hands down, it will make your happier. Three key reasons...

silver looks great even when it’s dirty.

Black interior appearance will last much much longer and with far less maintenance.

Mark Levinson is a Must Have feature.

Old 02-16-18, 07:14 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

My GS is silver as was my LS and I do like the color. My LS had a black interior which really did not show hardly any wear and now, I have noble brown which I love. Both had the ML too.

I'd opt for the Silver F-sport between the two. But like others have said, drive both and not just a 5 minute drive either.
Old 02-16-18, 08:23 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

@OP: What is "premium audio"? Is it ML?

I believe your non-F-Sport does not have the Luxury package, hence it does not have the Sport+ driving mode. So it boils down to whether you are willing to pay more for the Sport+ mode. This additional payment is not only at the time of purchase but also throughout your ownership for maintenance in terms of tires, brakes and gas mileage.
Old 02-16-18, 08:43 AM
Jayson
Advanced

This is awesome, thanks for all the replies! I'll give the sales guy a call here in just a few minutes, will go for the GS F-Sport.
Old 02-16-18, 08:53 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Originally Posted by bb700092
@OP: What is "premium audio"? Is it ML?

I believe your non-F-Sport does not have the Luxury package, hence it does not have the Sport+ driving mode. So it boils down to whether you are willing to pay more for the Sport+ mode. This additional payment is not only at the time of purchase but also throughout your ownership for maintenance in terms of tires, brakes and gas mileage.
Premium audio: just the standard Pioneer audio system.
Old 02-16-18, 09:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

If the choice were between an F Sport and Luxury model, I think it would be tougher. If the "non F Sport" is not a Luxury package car, I would definitely go for the F Sport to get the more adjustable driver's seat and the AVS, not to mention the F Sport appearance.

Both are great choices though, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 02-16-18, 09:24 AM
yllwneck86
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Since yours is going to be a daily, I'd recommend the non F sport. I've been told that the brakes will cost $1K an parts and service for the F sport and they don't last as long as ones on a non F sport. I have a 2014 base with the same light grey interior, I like it and use it also as a daily 50 mile commuter.
Old 02-16-18, 12:56 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Man, I love Toll Expressways! Go for the one with the best "smiles per gallon" over the "miles per gallon". Mine is a daily driver, also and I've never regretted it.
You've earned it, enjoy it!
Old 02-16-18, 05:32 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Man, I love Toll Expressways! Go for the one with the best "smiles per gallon" over the "miles per gallon". Mine is a daily driver, also and I've never regretted it.
You've earned it, enjoy it!
I agree with this. I use my F sport as a commuter car and could not be happier
Old 02-16-18, 05:33 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also worth consideration is the F-Sport has a staggered setup, so the tires can't be rotated all around. 80 miles a day means you'll go through tires faster on the F-Sport.

Quick Reply: GS350 Purchase Advice