Your driving mode for daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 07:17 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AYLexus18

I am assuming you never drove in NYC during rush hour
Yeah, I'm sure it would be worse there. I've only tasted NYC traffic a few times, no thanks, lol.

-Mike
Old 03-02-18, 07:27 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

GS450h here - I'm often switching modes while driving. Having driven a manual for many years, I enjoy tinkering with my free hand.

I like Sport for slightly quicker acceleration & Sport+ for added grip/cornering.

I like Normal/Eco for fuel savings and a comfortable ride. I noticed that Eco mode enables the car to switch to the battery only mode quicker & stay in battery-only mode for longer periods of time, especially when nearing a full charge.

Range is around the 450 miles for the tank.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 03-02-18, 09:27 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
Wish I could put the car in normal throttle and stiffer suspension.
I would love this as well. Sometimes I don't want the hair-throttle but would like a stiffer ride.
Old 03-02-18, 11:06 AM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Once the engine oil has reached operating temp, maybe 10 minutes after the water is up to temp, there is little to no reason to baby the engine. With the tolerances they build engines today, run it like you would normally. There is actually evidence to support the harder you run it early in an engine's life, the better it is for it. You need the higher pressures of higher RPM to make sure the rings seat quickly and properly.

A friend that is an engine builder says he runs them like he will for the rest of their life right after the cam is broken in.
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept you speak of. While I have not been flooring the engine, I have manually shifted every so often while letting the RPM's rise a bit under low to medium load. About 4K RPM's is the most I've revved it. This will build up a little more pressure than just babying it, but not too much that may harm other components during the break-in. The rings are important of course, but not the only item that is worn in during the process. This is a happy medium so to speak and pretty much following what the Lexus recommendation is (vary RPM's, avoid excessive loading). There is quite a bit of data logged on these cars and I didn't want Lexus to point to high throttle openings as a cause of failure, should I be unlucky enough to have an engine problem. I'm sure they would look for anything to void the responsibility. I don't imagine I would have any recourse by stating that some guy on the internet said it was OK (no offense to you of course).

My 2018 has a custom mode on the dial selector. I can customize it in the menu to invoke different power, chassis and economy settings. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between steering and suspension through..
Old 03-02-18, 01:03 PM
Drugsdude
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 GS350 RWD

Approx 55 mile commute every day. Average 50 mph in Normal mode getting 23 MPG. Tested Sport mode and got 17.7 MPG. ECO 21 MPG.

Took a 250 mile road trip at 70 MPG and got 28 MPG in ECO.

Verdict? Normal mode is best for commute, ECO is great on long road trips, Sport is just fun, not good on gas.
Old 03-02-18, 01:38 PM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
Normal or Sport +. I don't care for the more aggressive throttle response or what some called whip lash mode. I do like the stiffer suspension. Wish I could put the car in normal throttle and stiffer suspension.
The vehicle can easily get 300miles per tank if your 60miles commute is mainly highly. I'm getting about 23MPG(less in winter time).
Pretty sure in the Custom Mode setting you can configure to what you want, normal throttle response with stiffer suspension and steering. I have my Custom set as follows
Power Train: ECO (Normal..Power or ECO)
Chassis: Sport (Normal or Sport)
AC: Normal (Normal or Eco)
Old 03-02-18, 04:14 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I use either Normal or Sport. Rarely do I use Eco or Sport +.
Same for me unless I'm really low on gas.
Old 03-02-18, 06:35 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Yes, I was going to ask if the '16+ MY would allow you to do this. I know our '17 had some custom setting but I rarely go there with the SUV. It's an SUV. I got the F-sport RX because of the triple beam and the mesh grill. Everything else I can live without.

Originally Posted by TarmacSL3
Pretty sure in the Custom Mode setting you can configure to what you want, normal throttle response with stiffer suspension and steering. I have my Custom set as follows
Power Train: ECO (Normal..Power or ECO)
Chassis: Sport (Normal or Sport)
AC: Normal (Normal or Eco)
Old 03-03-18, 08:04 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Sport S+ all the time with Red mode on the Apexi Throttle Controller. I want to be able to exploit a gap in traffic if I need to with the flex of my toe. Still able to drive very smoothly in traffic too in these modes.
Old 03-04-18, 07:43 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Sport+apexi red mode.
Old 03-04-18, 08:32 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

When I first got my '18 GS, I would constantly switch through different drive modes depending on the situation. Nearly 4 months and 4,000 miles later, I find myself just leaving it in Normal mode as it seems to handle all situations well. Every now and then I'll be in the mood to just cruise so I'll put it in Eco but eventually get tired of the steering in this mode as VGRS seems significantly less progressive in this mode compared to Normal but requires slightly less effort, on the other hand. The ride in Eco seems more softly dampened but gets a bit too bouncy/busy which depending on the road, can get a bit annoying. I tend to prefer the ride in Normal as a result, despite it being slightly firmer, as it minimizes some of the float and pitchiness and seems to be very well balanced for both composure and ride.

If I've been driving calmly and in a bit of traffic in Normal mode, I've noticed the car seems to adapt & dial back all the settings, even the brake pedal feel is softened/smoothened out. Switching to Sport S+ is a nice contrast in these moments and really makes it feel like a different animal, especially in the brakes. Much firmer pedal feel and a touch more responsive, the slightly louder and more audible engine note under normal driving scenarios is also nice.
Old 03-05-18, 10:25 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Drugsdude
2014 GS350 RWD

Approx 55 mile commute every day. Average 50 mph in Normal mode getting 23 MPG. Tested Sport mode and got 17.7 MPG. ECO 21 MPG.

Took a 250 mile road trip at 70 MPG and got 28 MPG in ECO.

Verdict? Normal mode is best for commute, ECO is great on long road trips, Sport is just fun, not good on gas.
Just did a road trip.. 300 miles in my gs350 AWD, got 28.5mpg. Temps were around freezing. Average speed 60-75mph. I tested the MPG and above 75 it would be 25mpg, under 75 it was 28+ so i stayed at 60-75 with CC on. Best mpg i've ever achieved in the GS (usually i drive 75+). In the summer i'm sure i could hit 30mpg with the same sort of driving. EDIT - Normal mode. Alittlebit of sport on some twisties.

Last edited by GregCanada; 03-06-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 11:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Sport S+ always.
Old 03-06-18, 06:02 AM
Neles
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive Sport S on not so smooth roads and Sport S+ on the highway. I also always drive in manual mode.

Gas mileage? What's that?
Old 03-06-18, 03:30 PM
gsrsx13
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sport s+ mode all the time, maybe it's just me but when I'm in eco mode I feel like the car brakes slower

it feels like I stop faster when I'm on sport s+ mode and that's a big plus in miami when ur driving with plenty of aggressive drivers

Quick Reply: Your driving mode for daily driver