GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 Clock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 05:23 PM
Stickday
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default GS350 Clock Replacement

Yep, the POS analog clock has died on my 2013 after just 52,000 miles. Replacement is very simple if you know what to do, and I didn’t. So I hope these instructions save you a group of time!. First, bit the clock online from the cheapest place it’s about $225. Do a search on part number 83910-30620 Second use a small molding pry or a wide blade screwdriver covered with a soft microfiber towel to remove the molding that surrounds the radio and the start button. Third, disconnect the electrical from the start button. Fourth, look At the lower right of the radio and you will see a silver mounting bracket recessed back a bit. A 10mm Bolt holds the radio in place on the right side and looks exactly the same on the left side. Remove both left and right bolts using a socket extension being very careful not to drop either one of them into the dash. Fifth, the radio will now slide forward. Sixth, you now have access to the AC vents and analog clock panel assembly. You will see the clips that hold it in and carefully remove the panel. Seventh, disconnect the three electrical connections from the back of the panel The center one is for the clock. Eighth, you are almost there! The clock is now ready to be removed. The clips holding it in are on the left and right sides in the skinny slots. Just use a flat head screwdriver to push them side to side and remove the clock . Ninth, put everything back together and feel that great sense of accomplishment that you save 350 bucks over what Lexus service would’ve charged. Hopefully with my instructions this took you 30 minutes instead of the hour and a half it took me to figure out :-) cheers!
The following 8 users liked this post by Stickday:
adnank (09-07-22), AJLex19 (06-11-21), anbark22 (03-12-18), Danonz (12-27-22), GsGS (03-12-18), JellyBean (03-11-18), sam430 (03-11-18), viperr (03-12-18) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-18, 11:39 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

$225 is expensive for something that is almost useless..(to me). Glad to see more and more people sharing things on this message board though.

aside

I think lexus made too many of those clocks and had to put them in every car... I think they should donate it to toyota
Old 03-12-18, 10:06 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for contributing.
Old 03-12-18, 04:45 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased an entire center panel (two vents + clock) for $45 off ebay. I needed the panel to replace mine that didn't fit well and squeeked. I was going to take the clock out of my old one and 3D print a housing for it to use as a desk clock.

Thanks for the instructions!
Old 05-18-22, 08:54 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are having this issue, apparently you can fix it with some glue. I found this post in a FB group.

The following users liked this post:
Danonz (12-27-22)
Old 12-12-22, 12:22 PM
lackura
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken apart my old clock, which was not running. In the first photo, on the left is the back cover, then a white "washer" that slides onto the small shaft in the cover, then the black magnet with the gear and white shaft on the inside. Second photo is the actual clock, where you can see the gears to the clock hands. Third photo has the washer in place, then the white shaft and black magnet, slid onto the back cover/metal shaft. So is the white shaft supposed to be glued to the inside of the black magnet, so that they turn together? I assume that the white washer is not just a broken part off of the white gear shaft. Has anyone successfully done this and revived their clock? I just don't want to glue something and then permanently mess up what could have been an easy fix. Thanks!

Last edited by lackura; 12-12-22 at 12:25 PM. Reason: resize photo
Old 12-12-22, 12:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by lackura
I have taken apart my old clock, which was not running. In the first photo, on the left is the back cover, then a white "washer" that slides onto the small shaft in the cover, then the black magnet with the gear and white shaft on the inside. Second photo is the actual clock, where you can see the gears to the clock hands. Third photo has the washer in place, then the white shaft and black magnet, slid onto the back cover/metal shaft. So is the white shaft supposed to be glued to the inside of the black magnet, so that they turn together? I assume that the white washer is not just a broken part off of the white gear shaft. Has anyone successfully done this and revived their clock? I just don't want to glue something and then permanently mess up what could have been an easy fix. Thanks!

The white plastic washer did not break off it's suppose to be separate. You super glue the white plastic gear/shaft into the magnet and put the clock back together. Don't forget to reinstall the washer. The gear/shaft separating from the magnet is why your clock stopped keeping time. I fixed my clock earlier this year, working perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
bloodbean (12-13-22), lackura (12-12-22)
Old 12-12-22, 03:11 PM
lackura
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
Danonz (12-27-22)
Old 12-14-22, 11:42 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I did this fix a couple weeks ago. I put a small drop of super glue on the shaft of white gear and slipped it into the magnet. You don't need much and watch out for putting too much as I almost did. Some gushed out and I was afraid it would dry on the outside of the magnet and interfere with the function. Before I put it back together I put a tiny bit of oil on the gear since I had cleaned it off well before the repair. It has been keeping time perfectly for about a month now.