GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pre-Collision System Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 07:17 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have no idea, I haven't looked much into this.
I was able to snag the DRCC radar and LKA camera for $250. They weren't exact part numbers but the catalog came back to 2015-2017 so it was worth a gamble at $250. The stuff in orange I won't get yet. The stuff in gray I plan to buy soon. The only real problem is the part in red... I can't for the life of me find this anywhere. I will open up my dash tomorrow and see what I have there right now... getting a little nervous... I don't know if you noticed but the steering DRCC stuff I could have bought from you for $50 back in the day but you sold it to someone else a day before I said okay .

Old 09-01-18, 07:04 PM
eddie420

Angry

Okay fellas, I need your help here. Below is a description and image of each Lexus feature. Underneath each picture is a link to the parts required.

My main question is why does the LDA/LKA have a different camera (86460-30051) than PCS (8646C-30011)? Or do I only need one of these camera? All diagrams show they are mounted in the same location so I doubt both are required, I just want to know which one is the right one.

Lane Departure Alert (LDA) / Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
If the vehicle begins to deviate from the current lane, the system issues a buzzer sound, a display notification, and a steering wheel vibration to recommend that the driver correct the vehicle’s path.

Parts Link: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...ng-assist.html

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
Using multiple sensors, including the millimetre wave sensor, the DRCC determines the distance of vehicles in front of you and controls your speed within a preset range to match the speed of the other driver.

Parts Link: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...uto-drive.html

Pre-Collision System (PCS)
PCS uses sensors to detect other vehicles and obstructions in front of your Lexus. If the system determines a high probability of a collision it will issue a warning. In situations where a collision has been determined to be unavoidable it will automatically apply the brakes.

Parts Link: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...on-system.html

Here are the parts I bought so far and a couple of pictures of the millimeter-wave radar and camera.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-18, 05:34 PM
eddie420

[PROJECT DEAD]

Unfortunately, after going through TIS in mind numbing excruciating details, the amount of parts (especially the ECMs, throttle body motors, etc.) and calibration required for a smooth operation of LKA & DRCC, the retrofit is going to cost an arm and a leg... and that is with used parts at a discount. I am going to count my losses at this point and stick with my standard cruise control. Sorry folks, I tried...
Old 09-02-18, 05:43 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

At least you only bought a handfull of parts that can easily be resold on eBay. Thanks for trying, no one else would gave done this, at least we all know it not worthwhile now.
Old 09-02-18, 06:30 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
[PROJECT DEAD]

Unfortunately, after going through TIS in mind numbing excruciating details, the amount of parts (especially the ECMs, throttle body motors, etc.) and calibration required for a smooth operation of LKA & DRCC, the retrofit is going to cost an arm and a leg... and that is with used parts at a discount. I am going to count my losses at this point and stick with my standard cruise control. Sorry folks, I tried...
Would you mind sharing more details as far as what else was required? Like the calibrations and what not
Old 09-02-18, 06:45 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by peasodos
At least you only bought a handfull of parts that can easily be resold on eBay. Thanks for trying, no one else would gave done this, at least we all know it not worthwhile now.
Thanks peasodos, appreciate that. I really wanted this to work and it is possible, but just not economically feasible. I am better off trading in the car for one that has these features standard. Unfortunately, I love my crafted line car and trying to find one with all those features is going to be a bit difficult. Plus I have quite a bit of money left to pay off my car so I'm just going to hang in there with this one.

Originally Posted by signdetres
Would you mind sharing more details as far as what else was required? Like the calibrations and what not
Sure, I'll do a follow-up later tonight or something. In the middle of something right now.
Old 09-03-18, 07:19 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by bob256k
Hey not all dead projects are failures; you provided a massive amount of information to others on the subject; thank you!!
If you really want this feature why not ask the forums to help you find a car with it? No guarantee of finding one, but the more eyes looking the miss likely you find one.

Thanks again!
Well that is because I am working with a few junkyards to locate pieces. Zero guarantees they will find anything. Technically the project is dead until further notice but may be revisited. Also no need to get everyone looking since DRCC is nice to have but it is not the all speed DRCC... that would be totally worth it lol.
Old 09-05-18, 11:20 PM
eddie420

I lied. The project is alive and kicking. I got more parts coming in. In fact, I am aiming to install everything (cruise radar, lane departure, and driver monitor). Brand new parts would cost $7K, I could buy a salvage car for half that so that's sorta what I am doing. Working with someone I know who has the license to go to salvage auctions and buy cars so I am hoping to get all the parts for under $3K. I also realized the calibration can be done at any dealership and not necessarily something I have to perform myself. I won't constantly update this thread but I will do so once I get it all working. Wish me luck!

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-06-18)
Old 09-18-18, 06:10 PM
eddie420

Just a quick update for anyone in the future trying to perform this. I was definitely correct. You can have dynamic radar cruise control (DRCC) without having lane recognition camera. See highlighted below. So anyone that does not want Lane Keep Assist and does not mind the "Check PCS system" message on their screen and wants to save $$$, you are good to go***.

***This is just my own opinion. Do not go and crash your car, it won't be my responsibility if you do.
Old 09-20-18, 07:39 AM
tamermido1
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

eddie420 I think you should tackle ML RetroFit next! Good luck
Old 09-20-18, 08:06 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by tamermido1
eddie420 I think you should tackle ML RetroFit next! Good luck
Hahaha, that will be easier than these projects I have going. But I am not that much of an audiophile to do a ML retrofit. How about YOU do it and let us know how it goes?
Old 09-20-18, 08:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

For ML I think you just need all the speakers and the ML amp, wires might already be there and ML head unit is exactly the same, just a face plate. Thankfully my car already has ML, but honestly it doesn't blow me away. New ES has 1800w system I only have 835w, not entirely sure if that translates to a better sound system.
Old 09-25-18, 09:09 AM
tamermido1
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

eddie420 My GS already came with ML and HUD. I custom ordered it so I didn't have to go through the upgrade part (laziness)
Old 10-08-18, 10:34 AM
eddie420

So after a few successful projects, this one is still giving me constant push backs (along with the brake hold project).

I was installing the millimeter radar today and unfortunately realized that the No. 2 Engine Wiring Harness does NOT include the connection for the radar.

After digging around the engine compartment, I found the harness part number I have... 82112-30G50. The one I need is 82112-30G90 which I can get for about $460 brand new.

I don't know... this seems like a hell of a lot of time and material........ Any thoughts on whether I should move forward with this? Seems pretty difficult to remove the old harness and route the new one through multiple grommets and firewall.

Advice?
Old 10-08-18, 11:01 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Just sell all the parts u have on ebay and trade in ur GS for a newer one that has all the goodies. Those lease returns have come down in price I'm sure.
The following users liked this post:
Measured (10-09-20)

Quick Reply: Pre-Collision System Retrofit