GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pre-Collision System Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 05:18 AM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Pre-Collision System Retrofit

I have found that I use cruise control daily and constantly having to turn it on and off to adjust speeds is extremely annoying. I decided to research about DRCC and PCS and realized it is a bit above my understanding.

Can anyone guide me on which parts I need to get DRCC and PCS? Is DRCC part of the PCS? Can I install just the distance sensor? Or do I need to install both the PCS and the distance sensor? Is there anything I am missing?

Old 03-20-18, 12:37 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Radar cruise control is integrated with the PCS, so you would have to add the whole system for it to be functional. Adding the system to the vehicle requires extensive part replacement and I would consider it economically unreasonable compared to getting one with the system factory installed. The radar sensor and switches are one thing, but there are extensive differences and you would also need the specific computers for the system, wiring, the driver monitor camera, the PCS version of the front seatbelts, etc. I was initially looking at the feasibility of a conversion, but it is impractical and I managed to find a GS with PCS and DRCC for sale.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 02:15 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by iToaster
Radar cruise control is integrated with the PCS, so you would have to add the whole system for it to be functional. Adding the system to the vehicle requires extensive part replacement and I would consider it economically unreasonable compared to getting one with the system factory installed. The radar sensor and switches are one thing, but there are extensive differences and you would also need the specific computers for the system, wiring, the driver monitor camera, the PCS version of the front seatbelts, etc. I was initially looking at the feasibility of a conversion, but it is impractical and I managed to find a GS with PCS and DRCC for sale.
Well, that's a bummer! Thanks for the writeup. I guess I will pass on this and maybe buy a salvaged GS from an auction in the future and do the conversion for pennies on the dollar.
Old 03-20-18, 03:34 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Well, that's a bummer! Thanks for the writeup. I guess I will pass on this and maybe buy a salvaged GS from an auction in the future and do the conversion for pennies on the dollar.
I have the radar cruise control/lane keep assist switches/trim for the steering wheel for sale. You can have it for $50 including shipping. The lower silver trim has some wear on it but you can swap it out with your existing one. It's a start

Old 03-21-18, 04:05 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have the radar cruise control/lane keep assist switches/trim for the steering wheel for sale. You can have it for $50 including shipping. The lower silver trim has some wear on it but you can swap it out with your existing one. It's a start
Hmm. Give me till Saturday and I will DM you.
Old 06-04-18, 06:32 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by iToaster
The radar sensor and switches are one thing, but there are extensive differences and you would also need the specific computers for the system, wiring, the driver monitor camera, the PCS version of the front seatbelts, etc. I was initially looking at the feasibility of a conversion, but it is impractical and I managed to find a GS with PCS and DRCC for sale.
I am revisiting this project. Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) are two separate systems but packaged under Pre-Collission System (PCS). Everything I have researched shows these systems can work independently. You don't need driver monitor camera, sensors, control module, or the pre-tensioner for DRCC to operate, however you do need it for LDW. DRCC only requires the millimeter wave radar behind the front grill and the appropriate steering wheel control trim. I do intend on testing this theory out and buying brand new parts will cost roughly $1800. Planning on going to a junkyard to find salvaged parts. If any one has any suggestions or concerns, please let me know! Thanks.
Old 06-04-18, 07:48 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I am revisiting this project. Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW) are two separate systems but packaged under Pre-Collission System (PCS). Everything I have researched shows these systems can work independently. You don't need driver monitor camera, sensors, control module, or the pre-tensioner for DRCC to operate, however you do need it for LDW. DRCC only requires the millimeter wave radar behind the front grill and the appropriate steering wheel control trim. I do intend on testing this theory out and buying brand new parts will cost roughly $1800. Planning on going to a junkyard to find salvaged parts. If any one has any suggestions or concerns, please let me know! Thanks.
I think I recall reading in the manual that DRCC as well as PCS not only use radar to track/detect the vehicle ahead but also uses the camera to verify as well so I would imagine you'd need both for the system to operate properly (although this was in the 2018 manual, not familiar with the system pre-facelift).

You likely don't need the driver monitor camera. This was removed in the facelift 2016+ models.

Based on people trying to do similar mods on other vehicles, it was typically either cost-prohibited or just not possible to retrofit. There's a whole other aspect of sensor calibration and alignment that is required, usually by dealer. Alignment of the radar sensor is usually specific down to the millimeter and if this is not done properly, the system won't function or will function improperly and could give off false positive collision warnings/braking, could be following the wrong vehicle and not brake/accelerate appropriately, etc.

Not sure on this one but you may also need a different brake booster (not positive I'm using the correct term but I think that's close). Not sure if they're all equipped with the same one capable of braking the vehicle without driver input as well as the brake hold feature.

Not sure if the DRCC radar comes with the flat Lexus badge to cover it but if not, you'd need to replace this part as well.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress on this if you choose to attempt it. Keep us posted!

Last edited by signdetres; 06-04-18 at 08:10 AM.
eddie420 (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 10:59 PM
eddie420

All good points. Thanks for taking the time out to write them.

Originally Posted by signdetres
Alignment of the radar sensor is usually specific down to the millimeter and if this is not done properly, the system won't function or will function improperly and could give off false positive collision warnings/braking, could be following the wrong vehicle and not brake/accelerate appropriately, etc.
Not true as far as I can tell. The units mount in standard locations with areas to drill holes for cars that were not originally equipped. The brackets align exactly where the radar and/or camera needs to be mounted. No calibration required.

Not sure on this one but you may also need a different brake booster (not positive I'm using the correct term but I think that's close). Not sure if they're all equipped with the same one capable of braking the vehicle without driver input as well as the brake hold feature.
I can't find any information on this but logically speaking, I don't think they are special. Again, speculation. Think about it, when you use a standard cruise control, when you go downhill and the speed increases, the ECU automatically engine breaks/increases gear to reduce the speed. I don't see why DRCC would be any different.

Not sure if the DRCC radar comes with the flat Lexus badge to cover it but if not, you'd need to replace this part as well.
Yes, this will need to be replaced. The standard ones block the millimeter radar, the flat one's do not.

I think I recall reading in the manual that DRCC as well as PCS not only use radar to track/detect the vehicle ahead but also uses the camera to verify as well so I would imagine you'd need both for the system to operate properly (although this was in the 2018 manual, not familiar with the system pre-facelift).
According to some online marketing material, the products can work independently or along side each other.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress on this if you choose to attempt it. Keep us posted!
Will do. I am excited about doing mods on my car, it's an adventure. It's my daily and I like it a lot and I don't feel like trading it in for another car. For just a couple grand, I can get features added instead of the whole car swapping headache.

EDIT: My theory seems to be confirmed that DRCC can function without the camera. The steering is offered with three different types, see the one that says "W/ Precollision but without LKA".

Last edited by eddie420; 06-05-18 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 06:59 AM
ShawnMicha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please keep Posted

After a trip from the Mississippi coast to Knoxville, I'm dying to know how this goes. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Last edited by ShawnMicha; 06-23-18 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-23-18, 07:45 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by ShawnMicha
After a trip from the Mississippi coast to Knoxville, I'm dying to know how this goes. Good luck and please keep us posted.
I have been working with oemvehicleparts.com folks located in Florida to make sure I get all the correct items. I believe I am only missing the correct harness but waiting for them to verify. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-23-18, 07:39 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I must be one of the few people on this planet that intentionally sought out a car WITHOUT this stuff in it.

-Mike
Old 06-27-18, 09:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I have been working with oemvehicleparts.com folks located in Florida to make sure I get all the correct items. I believe I am only missing the correct harness but waiting for them to verify. Will keep you posted.
What harness? Are you talking about a harness for the radar?
Old 06-27-18, 09:45 AM
eddie420

What harness? Are you talking about a harness for the radar?
After going through the wiring diagrams, I was not certain if I had the right wiring harness in the engine bay for the radar. There seem to be different harness part numbers for stock vs DRCC vs LKA vs DRCC+LKA. To me it looks like I may have to swap the harness to get a connector for the radar (i.e., no pre-existing connector). Do you know if this is true? Haven't made much headway on this harness.
Old 06-27-18, 10:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

After going through the wiring diagrams, I was not certain if I had the right wiring harness in the engine bay for the radar. There seem to be different harness part numbers for stock vs DRCC vs LKA vs DRCC+LKA. To me it looks like I may have to swap the harness to get a connector for the radar (i.e., no pre-existing connector). Do you know if this is true? Haven't made much headway on this harness.
I have no idea, I haven't looked much into this.
Have you looked to see if there is a harness where the radar unit mounts behind the logo?
What parts do you have? I sold you the buttons for the steering wheel.
Do you have the millimeter wave radar, why not just plug it in?

I think this might be as simple as plug and play just like adding HUD.
eddie420 (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 10:33 AM
eddie420

I have no idea, I haven't looked much into this.
Have you looked to see if there is a harness where the radar unit mounts behind the logo?
What parts do you have? I sold you the buttons for the steering wheel.
Do you have the millimeter wave radar, why not just plug it in?

I think this might be as simple as plug and play just like adding HUD.
I plan on checking it out this Saturday and report back.

Quick Reply: Pre-Collision System Retrofit