GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 06:40 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypark
updated map, i have a lot of newly constructed roads and buildings around me. before the update my navigation was not usable but all good now!
nice. Mine is so outdated and is missing a lot of roads/buildings as well
Old 10-02-21, 08:26 AM
tonypark
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
Something must have changed about how Lexus handles NAV map updates (at least for 2013 model year GS 350) because for 2013 model year GS 350s a Lexus service center had to install the map update. It was impossible for a NAV map update to be done in any other manner. The new NAV map first had to be downloaded from Lexus corporate's server with an identifier for the particular vehicle for which it would be installed. This required the vehicle to be in for service before the new NAV map could even be requested and then downloaded to the Lexus service center for a technician to install it in the 'identified' vehicle for which the NAV map was assigned. The price as $169.00 plus $100 Installation, with installation typically taking 30-45 minutes.

The way I'm told it worked (in the recent past) was rather complex - a tech manager at the Lexus dealership's service center makes a request for the NAV map update to corporate's computer to be installed in a specific vehicle identified by VIN, then the new NAV map data is downloaded to a master tech computer at the dealership's service center, then a tech installs the new NAV map to the specific vehicle for which the map is assigned via what they called a 'special delivery device' (not by using something like a memory stick device) that is connected to the master tech computer (probably the 'special delivery device' is just a cable with USB connector connected to the master tech computer) that the tech plugs into the USB port of the vehicle and he monitors the downloaded data with the vehicle's engine running so the vehicle's power doesn't automatically shut down after the 20 minute limit if the engine is not running. It was my understanding that the downloaded NAV map could only be installed in the specific vehicle for which the map was ordered and assigned. This prevented the NAV map from being copied to common delivery device like a memory stick to be installed in a different vehicle or be installed at the service center to multiple vehicles for which the map was not ordered and assigned.

When I took my car in for the map update back in 2015, this is what happened to me. The first time I took it in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus corporate computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update process. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' service center computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were finally able to update the NAV with the latest (at the time) v15.1 map update. When I returned to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only 5 minutes from my house and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update a few years ago typically took between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer or download of map data from the Lexus' corporate computer to the dealership's service center computer. The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours.

So, I'm confused as to how you were able to update the NAV map. Has Lexus lost its protection to prevent the NAV map from being installed in multiple vehicles?
Hmm.. installation probably took close to 1 hour but I just needed a 32GB+ FAT32 USB DRIVE.
Nothing too complicated.

Step 1. Go here: https://toyotamaps.online/map-update...on-gen7-update
Step 2. Download the map file -> Toyotamaps guys send you the link (about 16 GB after extraction).
Step 3: Extract map file to USB (Instruction is included), USB format must be FAT32.
Step 4. Plug in USB to your car and install!
Step 5: They ask you for a code after the vehicle recognize the USB and map data.
Step 6. Request Toyotamaps guys for the code
Step 7. Newly updated map available after install!
The following 2 users liked this post by tonypark:
Kingmatt24 (10-02-21), Neil64 (10-14-21)
Old 10-02-21, 12:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,587 Posts

I see where a question was asked:

D B - 14 september 2021, 04:37

Lexus dealer says the NAV update for my 2013 RX350 with Enform system is dealer-only installation. Do you have something that I can install on my own?

No response...
Old 10-02-21, 08:12 PM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very interesting.. i wonder if my 2015 gs350 can be updated using the gen8 sd card?/
Old 10-03-21, 09:54 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

A previous thread about toyotamaps online was shut down for piracy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-update-2.html
Old 10-03-21, 10:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickDangr

Makes sense to shut it down - Russian pirated NAV software.. Couldn't be good!

I still don't understand how anyone was able to get what they offered to install the latest map update to their NAV system.
Old 10-03-21, 10:12 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

Is there markings on the sd card so that you can tell what version?
Old 10-03-21, 11:12 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Makes sense to shut it down - Russian pirated NAV software.. Couldn't be good!

I still don't understand how anyone was able to get what they offered to install the latest map update to their NAV system.
The website says that map update they sell is 2019. That's still six or seven years newer than what's in my car.
Old 10-03-21, 11:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm curious to know what the latest (newest) NAV map update version is. With the COVID pandemic interrupting and delaying many business processes I suspect one map update year was likely lost. That said, is the latest (most recent) map update even current with data through last year (2020) as would be typical of previous years...or is the latest map only current with data through 2019...or behind by even one additional year (2018)? Dunno! Answer: Map update v19.1 that came out in late 2020 (with up-to-date data through the end of 2019) is the latest map update available as of October, 2021.

Typically, in years past, when a new map update comes out in the fall of each year (usually in October/November/December) it is up-to-date with data gathered throughout the previous year. Therefore for example, a new map update made available in say the fall of 2016 would be dated the previous year (e.g. 2015) because the map data is up-to-date through 1015.

I'll try to find out what the latest map update version is as of now (October, 2021) and if a newer map update is expected to be out later this fall. It wouldn't surprise me if there was no map that became available in the fall of 2020 (with data up-to-date through 2019). Likewise, it won't surprise me to learn that the latest map available at this present time is the map that came out in the fall of 2019 (with data up-to-date through 2018).

► Updated Info: Map update v19.1 that came out in late 2020 (with up-to-date data through the end of 2019) is the latest map update available as of October, 2021. My large Lexus dealership's (Plano, Texas) parts department only had one v19.1 map update left in stock. No word or idea if a newer map can be expected in 2022 or beyond.

Typically many Lexus dealerships will announce and make available in late fall a special map update price of $100 (compared to $169 pre-fall) plus one hour of labor to install the previous year's map update.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-04-21 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 10:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what I was just told by the Assistant Service Manger about the latest NAV map version. It appears the labor to install the map has been reduced from one hour to $53.90 for reasons unknown.

I just checked with parts and the cost for the nav update would be $169 and then the labor of $53.90. We do have one in stock - but, it is the 19.1 version & at this point that is the newest version that we have. So that is actually a late 2019 update - there is not a newer one yet. Parts said that there could be a newer update that will come out in 2022- but, they are not sure when that would be.

Assistant Service Manager
Park Place Lexus Plano
6785 Dallas Pkwy
Plano, TX 5024

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 08:48 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by NickDangr

Yea. That was my post. I must have been on someone's bad side. With that being said, why are the techstream post not shut down due to piracy? I know, slightly off topic.
Old 10-05-21, 08:51 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Here is what I was just told by the Assistant Service Manger about the latest NAV map version. It appears the labor to install the map has been reduced from one hour to $53.90 for reasons unknown.

I just checked with parts and the cost for the nav update would be $169 and then the labor of $53.90. We do have one in stock - but, it is the 19.1 version & at this point that is the newest version that we have. So that is actually a late 2019 update - there is not a newer one yet. Parts said that there could be a newer update that will come out in 2022- but, they are not sure when that would be.

Assistant Service Manager
Park Place Lexus Plano
6785 Dallas Pkwy
Plano, TX 5024
Maybe due to shortage or man power beyond their control? When I was a LTS, there were times that a new map updates contains data that are at least 2 years old. This may be the case if they do release a 2021 map update.
The following users liked this post:
vcondry (10-05-21)
Old 10-05-21, 09:55 AM
vcondry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update...i've got my new DD coming in from Fort Worth (2 owner 158k Texas GS) and i'm sure it will need to be updated....didnt see any map update listed when I registered it to Lexus.com Owner Site. I've had several GS's this will be my first 4th Gen (priors were 1998 GS400 and 06 GS430 with 58k 4-Sale).
Old 10-05-21, 06:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be having the v19.1 map update installed in my 2013 GS 350 tomorrow. It's the latest map update available. At least I'll have up-to-date map data through late 2019 in my NAV with this map update. I've been on a 2015 map which definitely needs updating again with all the new or changed/modified road/highway, toll road and Interstate construction work we have had in the Metroplex in the last decade.

The 'High Five' Interchange in Dallas is one of the first five-level stack interchanges built.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-05-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-05-21, 11:53 PM
Robertcave
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

wow thats some flyover what a work of art that is

Quick Reply: Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350