Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 01:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertcave
wow thats some flyover what a work of art that is
And to think, some people thought Texas was still the wild west with just horses, cattle, snakes and cowboys!

Dallas Skyline

Old 10-06-21, 06:43 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'll be having the v19.1 map update installed in my 2013 GS 350 tomorrow. It's the latest map update available. At least I'll have up-to-date map data through late 2019 in my NAV with this map update. I've been on a 2015 map which definitely needs updating again with all the new or changed/modified road/highway, toll road and Interstate construction work we have had in the Metroplex in the last decade.

The 'High Five' Interchange in Dallas is one of the first five-level stack interchanges built.
And it's still congested as before. lol.
Old 10-06-21, 10:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here is what I was just told by the Assistant Service Manger about the latest NAV map version. It appears the labor to install the map has been reduced from one hour to $53.90 for reasons unknown.

I just checked with parts and the cost for the nav update would be $169 and then the labor of $53.90. We do have one in stock - but, it is the 19.1 version & at this point that is the newest version that we have. So that is actually a late 2019 update - there is not a newer one yet. Parts said that there could be a newer update that will come out in 2022- but, they are not sure when that would be.

Assistant Service Manager
Park Place Lexus Plano
6785 Dallas Pkwy
Plano, TX 5024
I'll be having the v19.1 map update installed in my 2013 GS 350 tomorrow. It's the latest map update available. At least I'll have up-to-date map data through late 2019 in my NAV with this map update. I've been on a 2015 map which definitely needs updating again with all the new or changed/modified road/highway, toll road and Interstate construction work we have had in the Metroplex in the last decade.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today (10/6/2021) I had the latest map update ( v19.1 map update) installed for the NAV in my 2013 GS 350.

This is the information on the service paperwork, and the information on my NAV, plus an image of my NAV screen's Map Information:

Info on the Lexus Service Paperwork states: 1 PT219-HDD07-19 GEN7 V19.1 NAV MAP US

My new Map Version Info on the NAV screen states: Map Version: 21-19-17 [2019-06-1]

My new MAP ID Info on the NAV screen states: Map Update ID: 1102-1025-0506-6217 US

Hope this helps...

Image of my NAV screen displaying Map Information after genuine Lexus v19.1 map install.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-06-21 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-06-21, 04:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonypark
yes updated nav map data on 2013 GS via USB update
I have my doubts you actually have a new map update installed to your NAV from using the recognized Russian pirated map software. The software pirates may have designed into their delivery device the ability to purposely alter what displays on your NAV's Map information screen to make you 'think' you have a new map installed. That wouldn't surprise me. The Russians are very clever with their illegal software piracy tactics... Not much difference in the Russians and the Chinese when it comes to stealing software or intellectual property theft...whether the real product is ever delivered to the buyer, or not.

Toyota/Lexus is said to have a very secure and highly protected multiple step process to guard against the map updates from being installed in the NAVs of multiple vehicles or vehicles for which the activated map update is not encrypted electronically as being the correct identified/linked vehicle to receive the map update.

To my knowledge the Toyota/Lexus multiple step process to install a map update to a customer's specific vehicle does not entail a 'license' or 'code' entry like the NAV screen you displayed an image of indicates. I don't know what to say - maybe your NAV still has the same map that was last installed even though you thought you were installing a new updated map with the pirated Russian map - and you just don't realize it. Dunno!

I personally would be afraid to even try installing that map update which was found by numerous sources to be deceptively Russian pirated software that is not sold or installed the same way that U.S. Lexus and Toyota dealerships sell and install the 'real' authentic/legitimate, genuine map updates. I'd be afraid I'd lose the last map update in my NAV and then be left with a worthless or bricked NAV system.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-07-21 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-06-21, 07:02 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

Does anyone have a part # for the SD Card? Maybe it’s cheaper at a Toyota dealer?
Old 10-09-21, 05:32 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

I have my doubts you actually have a new map update installed to your NAV from using the recognized Russian pirated map software. The software pirates may have designed into their delivery device the ability to purposely alter what displays on your NAV's Map information screen to make you 'think' you have a new map installed. That wouldn't surprise me. The Russians are very clever with their illegal software piracy tactics... Not much difference in the Russians and the Chinese when it comes to stealing software or intellectual property theft...whether the real product is ever delivered to the buyer, or not.

Toyota/Lexus is said to have a very secure and highly protected multiple step process to guard against the map updates from being installed in the NAVs of multiple vehicles or vehicles for which the activated map update is not encrypted electronically as being the correct identified/linked vehicle to receive the map update.

To my knowledge the Toyota/Lexus multiple step process to install a map update to a customer's specific vehicle does not entail a 'license' or 'code' entry like the NAV screen you displayed an image of indicates. I don't know what to say - maybe your NAV still has the same map that was last installed even though you thought you were installing a new updated map with the pirated Russian map - and you just don't realize it. Dunno!

I personally would be afraid to even try installing that map update which was found by numerous sources to be deceptively Russian pirated software that is not sold or installed the same way that U.S. Lexus and Toyota dealerships sell and install the 'real' authentic/legitimate, genuine map updates. I'd be afraid I'd lose the last map update in my NAV and then be left with a worthless or bricked NAV system.
so do you know when the next map update will be available for the 2013 GS? Because there’s still buildings and stuff being built around me right now. I’d rather just wait until sometime brand new comes out rather than getting a 2019 update that’ll be outdated too
Old 10-09-21, 06:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
so do you know when the next map update will be available for the 2013 GS? Because there’s still buildings and stuff being built around me right now. I’d rather just wait until sometime brand new comes out rather than getting a 2019 update that’ll be outdated too
there is not a newer one yet. Parts said that there could be a newer update that will come out in 2022 - but they are not sure when that would be.
The PT219-HDD07-19 GEN7 V19.1 NAV MAP (Map Version21-19-17) [2019-06-1] that I had installed a few days ago on October 6th is the map that became available last year in 2020 with data that is up-to-date through the end of 2019. This is the latest map there is - and it is on the fringe of the data already being two years old. I'm told there is not a newer map with more current data and not to expect one...

The parts department at my large Lexus dealership (Park Place Lexus - Plano, TX) only had one map update in stock, which I snagged. Whether there are any more map updates like I got for my GEN7 2013 GS 350 in stock at another Lexus dealership, I don't know.

The above information is based on the map update for a 2013 model year GS 350, which is a GEN7 map update delivery method - that is delivered to the car's NAV system using the dealership's technician's specialized computer via the car's USB port. There may be map updates readily available for other GEN models (that take different delivery methods) but I believe the latest map is still the v19.1. I believe the NAV map in the latest (i.e newest) GS 350 model years can now be updated by the owner instead of having to have the dealership install it. Make no doubt about it - these map updates are treated like gold bullion bars at Fort Knox. In the case of the GEN7 for the 2013 model year, like yours and mine, the map is only released from the parts department to the specialized technician that is assigned to ultimately install it only when a service order is secure which links that particular map update to a specific vehicle VIN. Somehow, some way, Lexus has since changed the way the newest, late model GS 350 owners can purchase the map update and install it themselves without having to have the dealership install for them.

I'm told there is no 2021 map update with the typical up-to-date data through 2020. Normally, a 2021 map update (if there was one) would have already come out by now - back in the early part of the year around spring time. I'm also told it is unlikely there will even be a map update that will come out next year in 2022, typically with up-to-date data through 2021. I was told there has not been any new mapping data collected by the company that does Toyota/Lexus' maps in 2021 for any of the countries worldwide that are typically mapped, which means there will not be a new updated map for 2022. Clearly, the COVID-19 worldwide pandemic has caused a lot of delays and shelved a lot of business practices and processes in virtually all sectors of business.

Kingmatt24 I believe you are out of luck getting a newer map update than the v19.1 for your 2013 GS 350. You might not even be able to find a v.19.1 map update for your GEN7 at a Lexus dealership anywhere 'if' you do change your mind and are willing to accept the v19.1 map update with [now] two year-old data.

You didn't say what map version you currently have in the NAV of your 2013 GS 350. Your 2013 GS 350, like mine, came with an OE 2012 map installed - that had data [I presume was] up-to-date through the end of 2011. If you are still using that old OE map version you may decide to change your mind and go with the 8 years of newer data the v19.1 map update offers - if you can even find one anywhere.

In my case I updated from the OE 2012 map in late 2015 with the v15.1 map update (both the map version and the year it was released matched that year) so my recent v19.1 map update makes my NAV four years more current now than it has been in recent years, which I am very pleased about. Like you, I too have a whole lot of new roads, streets, highways, tollways and Interstate modifications, plus tons of new buildings and businesses here in the DFW Metroplex.. I was very glad to get four additional years of current data...even though the 2019 data in v19.1 is already almost two years out-of-date as of today.

Unfortunately those roads, buildings and stuff being built around you will not be available in a map update for years to come. There's usually at least a 2-3 year delay after new roads and buildings are built before they are on a map update. Toyota/Lexus uses HERE Technologies for their maps - as does Garmin, the GPS device experts. And even though Garmin is in the business of using maps and GPS in the auto, aviation and marine devices they sell, HERE can take up to 4-5 years to catch-up with new roads, buildings and related data (addresses, phone numbers, etc.) HERE supplies map content for Alpine, BMW, Mercedes, Garmin, Hyundai, Pioneer, Volkswagen and Toyota/Lexus, among other car companies and enterprises.

HERE states the following: HERE map data is updated for around a period of three years from the date of purchase of the vehicle and is performed at the time of service from the car dealer. This tells me that HERE is at least 3 years behind on map data gathering.

There's nothing worse than driving on a road or highway that is not on the NAV map - trying to get somewhere important in a hurry - because it shows that you are not driving on a road, but are driving on water or barren land, usually with no adjacent roads or highways displayed nearby. You're in 'no man's land' and don't know what to do to get back on the correct track for your destination. Not a good feeling!

Sorry 'bout the long response, but I hope the details provided helps you make sense of what's going on with map updates.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-15-21 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-14-21, 04:18 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Map Updates on a 2013 GS

How did you folks pull up your current map version?

Old 10-14-21, 05:04 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been thinking about updating my 2014 since I'm planning on keeping it now for 3-4 years. It's funny when I'm on a toll road in Austin or I-11 that goes from Hoover dam to Vegas bypassing Boulder City, the map shows me in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-14-21, 05:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Neil64
How did you folks pull up your current map version?
To find out what NAV map version you currently have in your car's NAV system: NAV > Options > Map Data

Watch the video below (I set the beginning of the video to start just before the 'Map Data' is selected.)

Last edited by bclexus; 10-14-21 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Neil64 (10-15-21)
Old 10-15-21, 12:26 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Thanks...I'll try it later today.
Old 10-15-21, 09:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks...I'll try it later today.
Neil64 - with your 2013 GS450h, unless you (or a previous owner) had a Lexus dealership's service department update your car's NAV map your car has the OE 2012 map, which all 2013 model 4GSs received. The 2012 map has up-to-date mapping and POI data through the end of 2011, which is now 10 years old.

A lot of people think, or expect, that a new or CPO vehicle sitting on the dealer's lot has had [or should have] the NAV map updated - but that does not happen. I have never heard of a Lexus dealership updating the NAV map without a specific work order for a NAV map update from the owner.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-16-21 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-16-21, 11:13 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

BClexus,

I have no NAV > Options > Map Data. I looked in every menu and I have no way to pull up the current map version. Could this be because my car has never been upgraded? It would be nice to confirm what version is running prior to spending $ to upgrade.

Thoughts?

Old 10-16-21, 12:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

BClexus,

I have no NAV > Options > Map Data. I looked in every menu and I have no way to pull up the current map version. Could this be because my car has never been upgraded? It would be nice to confirm what version is running prior to spending $ to upgrade.

Thoughts?

Neil64,

Sometimes when having the vehicle serviced a firmware update is done, which can change how various features are selected.

Try this: Menu > Info/Apps > Map Data Button

Also, look at this video (I have the video set to start just before Navigation Options is selected from the Navigation screen) in case your process to obtain your Map Data is like the video and not how I obtain my Map Data in my 2013 GS 350.

I'll be interested to find out if you are able to find the v2019 map update for your 2013 GS 350.

Last edited by bclexus; 10-19-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-18-21, 08:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Neil64 - Were you able to access the Map Data in your NAV to find out which map version you currently have?

Quick Reply: Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350