Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 06:44 PM
TechDudeYT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350

Hi,

I've been trying to update my 2013 GS 350's navigation system. So far I have gone into Lexus' Driver's site, and was out of luck because my year is not on that list (see photo). I contacted my local dealership, and they told me that they'd call me back with the price, and 4 months later they still haven't called me. My friend recommended me to someone, but they told me to check on here. This is my last resort, and I hope that someone can aid me to hopefully get this updated.

The current version I'm on is: Navigation - V6613700, and Bluetooth: 21.210.
My Model ID is: 11LHENNA-AZ01.
My Map version (if this helps): is 21-12-27 [2012-06-1]

2013 Year not an option.
Old 03-25-18, 07:01 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,587 Posts

You have the map originally installed in your NAV when the car was new - dated 2012. Lexus must install the map update. There are no options for the 2013 model year. The new map must be downloaded and installed by a Lexus dealer. The cost is $199 plus one hour of labor, so the total cost is $300+.

Or, if cost is a consideration, Lexus dealers usually offer the previous year's map at a reduced charge for a period of time in the Fall each year, or until they sell out - for $99 plus one hour of labor. That would provide you with a 2018 map, which would be six years newer than the 2012 map that was originally installed in 2013 models.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Oliviersm (11-02-23), TechDudeYT (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 06:29 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

There aren't any updates at this time for 2014 or 2015 models either (on the site linked by OP).
Only 2016 models have an update, and the details show only bug fixes, no new functionality.
Even for the models that can be updated, the updates never include Nav maps.

According to recent press, some 2019 models will feature CarPlay, so Lexus is finally seeing the light.

Last edited by jonathancl; 03-26-18 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TechDudeYT (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 09:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
There aren't any updates at this time for 2014 or 2015 models either.
Only 2016 models have an update, and the details show only bug fixes, no new functionality.
Even for the models that can be updated, the updates never include Nav maps.

According to recent press, some 2019 models will feature CarPlay, so Lexus is finally seeing the light.
You must be referring to firmware updates.

Map updates for all Lexus vehicles come out every year in the Fall. This coming Fall (around October/November) the 2018 map update will be available for all vehicles.
TechDudeYT (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 12:39 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Or, if cost is a consideration, Lexus dealers usually offer the previous year's map at a reduced charge for a period of time in the Fall each year, or until they sell out - for $99 plus one hour of labor. That would provide you with a 2018 map, which would be six years newer than the 2012 map that was originally installed in 2013 models.

Where should I keep an eye out for this? On the Lexus website?
Old 03-26-18, 01:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Where should I keep an eye out for this? On the Lexus website?
For the previous year's map update (offered at $99 plus one hour labor) you'll have to call your local Lexus dealership beginning in late October/early November to ask about it. When the latest map update becomes available the previous year's map update becomes available at a savings of $100, so if you find the latest map update on Lexus' website the previous year's update should be available (at a discount) also.
TechDudeYT (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 02:06 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TechDudeYT
Hi,

I've been trying to update my 2013 GS 350's navigation system. So far I have gone into Lexus' Driver's site, and was out of luck because my year is not on that list (see photo). I contacted my local dealership, and they told me that they'd call me back with the price, and 4 months later they still haven't called me. My friend recommended me to someone, but they told me to check on here. This is my last resort, and I hope that someone can aid me to hopefully get this updated.

The current version I'm on is: Navigation - V6613700, and Bluetooth: 21.210.
My Model ID is: 11LHENNA-AZ01.
My Map version (if this helps): is 21-12-27 [2012-06-1]

2013 Year not an option.
The reason your year is not listed is shown in the large white text in your image.
Lexus Multimedia Updates 2014 and newer models. Not the right place to look.
Old 03-26-18, 08:57 PM
TechDudeYT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank all of you for assisting me on this. I also have an Audi, and I'm also looking to upgrade the firmware, posted on 4 forums, and no response. Thank you guys for actually taking the time to respond!
Old 04-02-18, 12:39 PM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus fam. best car forum around.
Old 10-01-21, 10:11 AM
tonypark
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I updated mine today, easy update.

https://toyotamaps.online/map-update...on-gen7-update
Old 10-02-21, 02:31 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypark
what exactly did it change?
Old 10-02-21, 03:39 AM
tonypark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
what exactly did it change?
updated map, i have a lot of newly constructed roads and buildings around me. before the update my navigation was not usable but all good now!
Old 10-02-21, 03:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Question

You updated the map for the NAV in a 2013 model year GS 350?
Old 10-02-21, 03:48 AM
tonypark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
You updated the map for the NAV in a 2013 model year GS 350?
yes updated nav map data on 2013 GS via USB update
Old 10-02-21, 06:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

yes updated nav map data on 2013 GS via USB update
Something must have changed about how Lexus handles NAV map updates (at least for 2013 model year GS 350) because for 2013 model year GS 350s a Lexus service center had to install the map update. It was impossible for a NAV map update to be done in any other manner. The new NAV map first had to be downloaded from Lexus corporate's server with an identifier for the particular vehicle for which it would be installed. This required the vehicle to be in for service before the new NAV map could even be requested and then downloaded to the Lexus service center for a technician to install it in the 'identified' vehicle for which the NAV map was assigned. The price as $169.00 plus $100 Installation, with installation typically taking 30-45 minutes.

The way I'm told it worked (in the recent past) was rather complex - a tech manager at the Lexus dealership's service center makes a request for the NAV map update to corporate's computer to be installed in a specific vehicle identified by VIN, then the new NAV map data is downloaded to a master tech computer at the dealership's service center, then a tech installs the new NAV map to the specific vehicle for which the map is assigned via what they called a 'special delivery device' (not by using something like a memory stick device) that is connected to the master tech computer (probably the 'special delivery device' is just a cable with USB connector connected to the master tech computer) that the tech plugs into the USB port of the vehicle and he monitors the downloaded data with the vehicle's engine running so the vehicle's power doesn't automatically shut down after the 20 minute limit if the engine is not running. It was my understanding that the downloaded NAV map could only be installed in the specific vehicle for which the map was ordered and assigned. This prevented the NAV map from being copied to common delivery device like a memory stick to be installed in a different vehicle or be installed at the service center to multiple vehicles for which the map was not ordered and assigned.

When I took my car in for the map update back in 2015, this is what happened to me. The first time I took it in to my local Lexus dealership (with an appointment and loaner car) the Lexus corporate computer that handles the map updates nationwide (not located at the dealership) crashed and they couldn't even begin the map update process. The second time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they began the map update, but Lexus' service center computer crashed before they got finished - but my original map was still usable. The third time I took it in (with an appointment and loaner car) they were finally able to update the NAV with the latest (at the time) v15.1 map update. When I returned to pick up my car my service advisor told me the map update was done at no-charge as a one-time goodwill gesture because it took three trips to finally get the NAV map updated. I did not complain nor did I ask for any price reduction because of the two previous times. This goodwill gesture saved me around $300. ($169 plus 1 hour labor at $130 hr.), which I really didn't mind paying. It was not a big inconvenience for me because the Lexus dealership is only 5 minutes from my house and I received a loaner each time. Anyway, the entire map update a few years ago typically took between one and two hours, with the longest part of the process being the transfer or download of map data from the Lexus' corporate computer to the dealership's service center computer. The final time they kept my car a total of 3.5 hours.

So, I'm confused as to how you were able to update the NAV map. Has Lexus lost its protection to prevent the NAV map from being installed in multiple vehicles?

Last edited by bclexus; 10-02-21 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Navigation Update - 2013 GS 350