GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Trunk Springs Weak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 08:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I think on my 450h there was only one other hole to move it to, not like the 2gs. I adjusted the tension rod about a year ago so I don't remember exactly. The trim tool makes it super easy because it applies pressure to two sides of the clip to pull it strait out.
Old 03-28-18, 08:44 AM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Nope, no extra holes on a 2013 GS. I can probably drill some but there aren't any additional ones that will fit. And the pins are this type, no tool will make them easy to extract. Just jab a screwdriver in there and pull.

http://assets.suredone.com/1704/medi...n-qty-20-4.jpg

Pictures of covers pulled back. Neither side has an additional hole. I can pull them out with my bare hands but there's not alternative spots to put them. I did not make the scratches

Passenger side.

Driver side
My car (2013 GS 450h) looked like the top picture when I tried to make this adjustment. Isn't the top picture the drivers side? Anyway I tried using the round holes in the picture and neither helped. In fact one of the holes made it so the trunk lid would not stay open all the way. I put the tension rod back in its original position and gave up. I would still like to fix this if any one has other ideas. I keep getting hit in the head when loading groceries on a windy day.
Old 03-28-18, 09:05 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by schack
My car (2013 GS 450h) looked like the top picture when I tried to make this adjustment. Isn't the top picture the drivers side? Anyway I tried using the round holes in the picture and neither helped. In fact one of the holes made it so the trunk lid would not stay open all the way. I put the tension rod back in its original position and gave up. I would still like to fix this if any one has other ideas. I keep getting hit in the head when loading groceries on a windy day.
I'll pull back my liner and take a picture for u guys later this week. I dont remember what i did a year ago. I had the same issue and fixed it. Even added the factory spoiler. It could have been the rod was just out of place and I just put it back.
The following users liked this post:
schack (03-29-18)
Old 03-28-18, 11:10 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by schack
No, I was taking the pictures from deep inside the trunk pointing back toward the rear of the car. You can see the trunk hinge arm in the pic.

Actually, I'm surprised to find a spring in a Lexus. I'd have expected gas charged cylinders for a smooth lift action, like a hatch on an RX.

Last edited by Knucklebus; 03-28-18 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added thoughts on lacking a gas cylinder
Old 05-17-19, 02:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Please see below pic I circled in red, on the driver's side there are two holes to install the trunk spring into. If you install it into the hole I have it in the pic the trunk lid will not fall down. I had the same issue when I bought the car used. I just adjusted the trunk lid spring and problem solved.

jonathancl (05-17-19)
Old 01-26-20, 10:53 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mine is the same

Originally Posted by peasodos
Please see below pic I circled in red, on the driver's side there are two holes to install the trunk spring into. If you install it into the hole I have it in the pic the trunk lid will not fall down. I had the same issue when I bought the car used. I just adjusted the trunk lid spring and problem solved.

My 2015 GS 350 is the same. However, I have the F-sport with the factory spoiler, and while I've never had a problem with my trunk falling on my head I do wish there was more tension.

The trunk on the new ES 350 has a small gas strut mounted to the shock tower and the base of the hinge on one side that lifts the trunk smoothly to fully open when you click the button to open it.I'd love to figure out a way to retrofit mine to do the same vs what some others have done and get all the parts for the electric trunk opener.
Old 01-26-20, 10:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nxplicable
My 2015 GS 350 is the same. However, I have the F-sport with the factory spoiler, and while I've never had a problem with my trunk falling on my head I do wish there was more tension.

The trunk on the new ES 350 has a small gas strut mounted to the shock tower and the base of the hinge on one side that lifts the trunk smoothly to fully open when you click the button to open it.I'd love to figure out a way to retrofit mine to do the same vs what some others have done and get all the parts for the electric trunk opener.
In your spring is in the same position in my pic, that's the maximum tension you can adjust it too.
Old 01-26-20, 11:06 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Default Yup!

In your spring is in the same position in my pic, that's the maximum tension you can adjust it too.
Yes mine is anchored at the top position, giving it more lift. One of these days I'm going to my dealer and taking pics and measurements of the gas lift strut in an ES trunk... 😊 Maybe I can figure a way to retrofit one. It provides such a nice, quiet and smooth opening.
Im2bz2p345 (01-26-20)
Old 01-26-20, 11:11 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Default My pic :

Old 01-26-20, 04:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I'm referring to the driver side of the trunk, your pic looks like passenger side
Old 01-26-20, 06:30 PM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Default Mine is also driver's side

I'm referring to the driver side of the trunk, your pic looks like passenger side
You'll notice the same 2-wire grounding harness in both of our pics. I just happened to be laying inside my trunk and aiming my camera toward the trunk opening.
Old 01-26-20, 06:33 PM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Default Passenger side looked like this:

Old 01-26-20, 06:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nxplicable
You'll notice the same 2-wire grounding harness in both of our pics. I just happened to be laying inside my trunk and aiming my camera toward the trunk opening.
ah ok, I see it now.