GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My T-Bone Drama Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 11:28 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks so much! That was very helpful and they way I understand it as well. It just sucks that the story changed when they saw the estimate. I will pry every penny out of them including the deductible too. It shouldn't cost me a dime.
Old 03-26-18, 12:09 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Don't forget to add rental car expenses too. U should pay zero dollar for everything.
Old 03-26-18, 01:10 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Don't forget to add rental car expenses too. U should pay zero dollar for everything.
Oh yes. I have it on recording that they will pay for my rental especially because my policy doesnt have rental car coverage.
Old 03-26-18, 01:29 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Oh yes. I have it on recording that they will pay for my rental especially because my policy doesnt have rental car coverage.
Not sure how much your insurance costs are but for a 55 married male it is literally about $5-10/year, roadside assistance is only about $5/year. I also carry a $1 million umbrella liability in addition to $100K/$300K auto personal injury liabilities and $100K property damage. The last thing I want is someone coming after my house or muscle cars over an accident.
Old 03-26-18, 01:37 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not going to get into the insurance debate but I do feel for you. Good luck with getting this corrected properly! The damage is probably on the high side of the estimate as it is expensive to fix damage on these cars. Just the paint can be expensive based on what color you have.
Old 03-26-18, 06:04 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

How new is your vehicle? If you really want to "stick it to his insurance," I would do this:

1) If it's fairly new without many miles, I would look into filing a diminished value claim as well as a claim to pay for the repairs: https://www.thebalance.com/diminishe...cident-2645571

NY is a diminished value state.

2) Provide the records of your voicemail to your insurance to help them with subrogation.

3) Make sure you get all repairs done at Lexus Certified Collision Center: https://www.lexusccc.com/

Coming from a family of lawyers and being a well-informed, researcher myself, I always do my homework to make sure I'm maximize my benefits in these type of situations. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get all you can out of his insurance, especially considering his insurance's response thus far. This is why you (and all of us that are insured) pay so much every month!

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 03-26-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 05:11 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lamikela1
I am not going to get into the insurance debate but I do feel for you. Good luck with getting this corrected properly! The damage is probably on the high side of the estimate as it is expensive to fix damage on these cars. Just the paint can be expensive based on what color you have.
Yea. I was finally sent the high quote yesterday and they have time to put it on a frame machine to check the b pillar. They also added 5 hours to the quote fro wet sand and buff...which I like. The paint is expensive but so is the front glass. The glass alone is $500 before labor ha.
Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
How new is your vehicle? If you really want to "stick it to his insurance," I would do this:

1) If it's fairly new without many miles, I would look into filing a diminished value claim as well as a claim to pay for the repairs: https://www.thebalance.com/diminishe...cident-2645571

NY is a diminished value state.

2) Provide the records of your voicemail to your insurance to help them with subrogation.

3) Make sure you get all repairs done at Lexus Certified Collision Center: https://www.lexusccc.com/

Coming from a family of lawyers and being a well-informed, researcher myself, I always do my homework to make sure I'm maximize my benefits in these type of situations. I wouldn't hesitate one bit to get all you can out of his insurance, especially considering his insurance's response thus far. This is why you (and all of us that are insured) pay so much every month!

~ Im2bz2p345
You know, a diminished value claim is a great idea. I will need to know about how to do this. My car is a 2013 but only has 23k miles on it. This car will be worth significantly less now that it has an accident reported.

I would love to take it to a Lexus Certified Collision Center but there are none in my state. Nearest one is a 7 hour drive away
Old 03-27-18, 08:23 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Estimates range from about $5,400 to $8,100. Well, that seems to have been a problem for this kid's insurance. They weren't expecting a charge that high. So now their driver is "underinsured" and I have to file a claim with my insurance and my insurance will have to "go after" his insurance to get reimbursed for the damage.

I'm really surprised any state allows less than $10K minimum. Did he have NY tags? Good luck!
Old 03-27-18, 08:55 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Yea, he has $10k minimum. NY tags and all. Just got the quote from my insurance...$6,7XX. Time to get it into a body shop.
Old 03-27-18, 08:59 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Well then he's not underinsured til you hit $10K! F-ing insurance company BS. I admit it's been a long time since an insurance company bent me over; I guess I've been lucky they're inclined to do their job right, but I'm always expecting a screwing when I deal with one. Not that I have to deal with insurance claims a lot.
Old 03-27-18, 09:01 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Glad you got it figured out. In situations like this, just let your insurance figure it out. Thats what you pay them for. If it isn't your fault your rate shouldn't go up.
Old 03-27-18, 09:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yea. I was finally sent the high quote yesterday and they have time to put it on a frame machine to check the b pillar. They also added 5 hours to the quote fro wet sand and buff...which I like. The paint is expensive but so is the front glass. The glass alone is $500 before labor ha.

You know, a diminished value claim is a great idea. I will need to know about how to do this. My car is a 2013 but only has 23k miles on it. This car will be worth significantly less now that it has an accident reported.

I would love to take it to a Lexus Certified Collision Center but there are none in my state. Nearest one is a 7 hour drive away
I don't think your car will be worth significantly less just because there is a accident reported. You have pictures and documentation the accident was not that serious and the damage was not really that bad, just expensive to repair. If you sell the car privately and someone says there is a accident reported you can show them the pics, mostly cosmetic damage, fender bender, no air bags I believe went off, nothing serious and tell them there is nothing that would affect the ownership, drive ability, durability of the car and it was properly repaired at a certified repair facility. If a dealer tries to low ball you for your car, show the documentation of the accident, again nothing serious, just expensive to fix and tell them you know they won't be knocking any money off because it has a accident when they sell it especially if they have proof it was basically body panel damage so far and properly repaired.

I would still go for reduced value if you can but I would not expect the value of your car to fall much just because you had a fender bender that was repaired properly, if someone wants your car or your business they are going to pay what you want from it whether it has a relatively minor accident or not, you don't have to lower your price you want from it and I don't think a insurance company will give you less for it just because it has a accident reported if it gets totaled later on.
Old 03-27-18, 10:04 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I did ask my insurance company about diminished value and they informed me that it will come out of the Property Liability section which has the $10k max. So if I reach that without diminished value, then there will be nothing left to give anyway. No airbags so not "serious" just needs half a car haha
Old 03-27-18, 10:17 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think your car will be worth significantly less just because there is a accident reported. .

I don't understand how people say this.

Here's a scenario: You're shopping for a white 2015 RX350 F-Sport with Chardonnay interior and 35K miles for around $25K. I have one for sale, and so does my next-door neighbor. We're both asking $25K. They are identically equipped and are exactly what you want. They are both in beautiful condition and flawlessly maintained. His has a clean carfax. Mine's been hit 3 times, repaired beautifully, and if it wasn't for the carfax in your hand, you would never be able to tell.

Which one are you more likely to pay $25K for???

Go ahead and tell me my car is worth the same as my neighbor's.

kevin

Last edited by vfr700f2; 03-27-18 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vfr700f2:
Im2bz2p345 (03-27-18), Lusty72 (04-03-18)
Old 03-27-18, 10:23 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

I have actually collected a diminished value claim against another driver/insurance company. In November of 2002, a guy in a crown vic rear ended my wife's 2002 Honda CRV EX at speed. He set off a 5 car collision. It was about $8,000 worth of damage and $2,500 for diminished value of a 6 month old car with 8,000 miles on it.

The older they are, the harder it is to collect. A 2013 is already about half the sticker price today. Still, it won't hurt to try and the worst they can do is say no.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-27-18)

Quick Reply: My T-Bone Drama Story