GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TPMS not displaying values, but low tire pressure light not on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 08:10 PM
Deanlc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS not displaying values, but low tire pressure light not on

Had new tires installed on my 2013 GS350 at Big O. TPMS worked fine before new tire installation. Afterward it just displays dashes. Yellow tire warning light shows during system check but goes out as normal after system check completed. Big O has no clue. A local Lexus shop couldn't figure it out, said I need to go to dealer. Strangely, as I was preparing for a long road trip, I reset the trip odometers A and B, and reset the mpg readout. Then the TPMS properly provided readouts for all four tires, values I checked with a pressure gauge. They were quite high, having been filled by the local shop. So I set them to the proper 35 front and 36 rear. Then I started the car to see the readouts and now they were back to dashes! I have begun my long trip so I don't want to try resetting the odometers now. Any ideas what is going on?
The following users liked this post:
Valz (01-16-24)
Old 04-06-18, 08:47 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanlc
Had new tires installed on my 2013 GS350 at Big O. TPMS worked fine before new tire installation. Afterward it just displays dashes. Yellow tire warning light shows during system check but goes out as normal after system check completed. Big O has no clue. A local Lexus shop couldn't figure it out, said I need to go to dealer. Strangely, as I was preparing for a long road trip, I reset the trip odometers A and B, and reset the mpg readout. Then the TPMS properly provided readouts for all four tires, values I checked with a pressure gauge. They were quite high, having been filled by the local shop. So I set them to the proper 35 front and 36 rear. Then I started the car to see the readouts and now they were back to dashes! I have begun my long trip so I don't want to try resetting the odometers now. Any ideas what is going on?
not exactly sure of the process for a 13 gs350, but nowhere in your post did you mention resetting/recalibrating the TPMS system. You should absolutely do that. Owners manual should mention the "how to"
Old 04-06-18, 08:49 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

they might broke 1 of ur tpms sensor. why don't you let them know when u got ur car back that its not reading?
Old 04-07-18, 06:56 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of the time, an aftermarket sensor will cause the issue with the dashes. I had a similar issue when I bought mine, but replacing one sensor with a genuine Lexus one brought the readout back. If the shop broke one, they probably replaced it with an aftermarket sensor, which works well enough for the light but not for the display.
Old 04-08-18, 07:16 PM
Deadserial
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine also works intermittently. I just bought mine used and it worked on the way home. Then won't usually come on until I've been driving for a few miles.
Old 04-09-18, 09:14 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

If the TPMS sensors are unreadable on starting up the car, the low pressure warning light may not come on until ~30km/20miles driving. I know this very well because I keep 2 sets of tires (summer + winter) and I didn't install TPMS on my winters.

In your case you likely just need to press the TPMS reset button to recalibrate them.

If they are the original TPMS sensors from 2013, the battery may be running low and you need to replace the whole set.
Old 04-11-18, 05:14 PM
Deanlc
Driver School Candidate

Default Now after over 1500 miles of my trip and 5 days

sometimes the display will show the tire readings but I can't keep them on continually and can't figure out what I did to make them show. Each day I reset trip counter A and nothing else. Every morning the numbers don't show when I start out. Some days they will show sometime after we start, but I am not watching that display option continually so I don't know how long until they show. When I have seen them on they were in the high 30's or slightly over 40, which is to be expected from freeway speeds of 75 or 80 in Wyoming and Nebraska. Today they never showed. Clearly the sensors work and transmit. Don't know if one low battery could trip them all off. One day early in the trip when it was cold, the low tire pressure yellow light came on. I had one tire that needed a few pounds of pressure to turn it off. It hasn't come on again. I have not reset the baseline cold pressure. I originally had it at 35/36 per specs, but the local service guy may have reset it higher (I found the pressures over forty and I lowered them to spec). I could reset the baseline but I can't figure out why that would impact the readouts.
Still looking for guidance!
Old 09-08-21, 09:42 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Im currently battling this issue with my 13' GS350 AWD. I got new tires and the sensors worked for a couple days and than they stopped. Today they came back on, I didn't do anything for them to come on other than drive. What was your resolution?
Old 09-08-21, 11:32 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

Just an FYI, when you first start the car it won’t show pressures until you put it in gear and start driving
Old 09-08-21, 11:46 AM
Deanlc
Driver School Candidate

Turns out that the tire dealer must have damaged one of the sensors when replacing all four tires. Ended up going to Lexus dealer and they discovered it was not a Lexus sensor on one tire. Replaced it with an OEM sensor and problem was solved. Will NEVER use Big O tire store again. They lied to me, saying they did not replace any sensors, and cost me more money for Lexus to diagnose, de-mount tire, replace sensor, then re-mount tire.
Old 09-09-21, 05:04 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 178 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow, I am just amazed at the pain and $'s people go through with this TPMS stuff. For such a simple thing as checking your tire pressure once per month, and the occasional tire in the nail issue. The latter is the most important obviously, but at a certain point, you see that and/or feel it too. All in all, a nice idea, but I do not know if I would replace mine if they stopped working. It is like the auto high-beam feature, nice idea, but if it broke, I would go back to manually switching off the high beams.
Old 09-09-21, 07:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If one sensor is damaged or out they all don't function. I noticed that when I put a spare on my car. Luckily my original sensor was not damaged and I gave it to the tire installers to put on the wheel when they put the new tire on and everything worked after starting it up.
Old 09-11-21, 08:21 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts

I have the dashes. Never see tire pressures. The tire pressure warning idiot light comes on, and goes off. Tire pressure is fine.
I suspect the batteries in the sensors are bad. Dunno. A bit of a pain...
Old 09-11-21, 09:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanlc

For the benefit of others that may be experiencing this same problem - The Lexus OE TPMS has a history of sometimes not working properly for a period of time after a tire change; just displaying dashes for each tire - and does not display a light on the instrument cluster. I have no idea what triggers it to fail. I have experienced the same thing after a tire change! Also, the TPMS does not like cold temperatures. I have experienced this too - almost every fall/winter! The TPMS module is located behind the left front wheel well, so it is readily exposed to ambient temperatures. The reason your TPMS is not working has nothing to do with the batteries - you'd be wasting your money replacing them with new ones because the batteries in your current set are almost certainly adequately good. Some tire stores have equipment that can test the sensor's batteries.

It can take days or even weeks before suddenly the TPMS starts working correctly again after a tire change. If the failure is triggered by cold ambient temperatures it might start working after driving many dozens of miles or there's help from the sun's radiation to warm things up, but you might have to wait until warmer weather before it starts working correctly again. Owners in warm climate area are not normally troubled by the problem triggered by colder temperatures.

Last edited by bclexus; 09-12-21 at 08:34 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
joebobjone (01-08-22), simonh816 (11-21-21)
Old 08-25-22, 01:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Bringing back a necro thread since there's nothing like this in the GS F forum. I got all new sensors today because the tire tech broke one of the OEM units (yeah, he's definitely not qualified for his job) and I registered them myself using Techstream. They all show up there indicating pressure, temperature, and good battery. They don't show up in the display on the dash at all. This makes zero sense to me. There's nothing in TIS to help understand this either.

RE: post above - this has not been my experience with my IS F at all. They've just worked, and I've been through two sets of wheels and three sets of sensors. I've never had them fail unless I put on my second set of wheels and didn't change from the previous set.

Quick Reply: TPMS not displaying values, but low tire pressure light not on